Opinion Should the AFL introduce a video review option for the players?

Should the AFL introduce an video review challenge option for the players?

• Yes

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 84.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think in concept it is a good idea BUT the league is not capable of administering it fairly. We get dodgy decisions now and the justification is simply a "fog of war" defence. eg "It was all noisy and busy and I had to make an urgent decision!"

If the AFL has video reviews they will still deliver dodgy results but the look will be much worse because the "fog of war" defence will be gone.

Its obvious that it was a free kick to Adelaide but if you gave the AFL ten chances they would try to not pay it each time.

Looking at the vision of Draper flopping on top of the ball and laying with his arm outstretched I thought that the non decision was outrageous.

After reading the AFL rules, I am not so sure an umpire would be satisfied he took possession as per the rules (ie dragging it in).

Suspect the AFL will need to tweak another rule, or players will simply lay on the ball to hold up play.

Otherwise, not adverse to one Captain’s challenge per game.

If you are going to give the players challenges you might as well bring in tactical timeouts as well as that is what they would use them as. 1 minute left in the game, 3 points up, challenge remaining, ball punched through for a behind on the line. I'd like to challenge that thanks. Give yourselves 30 seconds to have a breather and set up and make it impossible for the other team to transition coast to coast.
And then they'll get to the last 10 seconds, and cop a decision like Draper, and they'll all stand there like the Nathan Lyon lbw at the end of the Stokes miracle.

And what happens when the reviewer stuffs up? We go to a second review?

Umpires make mistakes just like players. As long as humans are involved there will be errors.

Would put more resources into training the umpires better and in high pressure situations before making the game an NBA style s**t show.

They make mistakes all through-out the game but somehow the only ones that get noticed are in the last few minutes, umpires shouldn't be umpiring against the clock. More training and leaving the rules alone would go a long way to making the game better.

The decision last night just shows how much knowledge of football is on BF.
The call for holding the ball and an Adelaide free is ridiculous.
Yet not one person has said it was a very clear push in the back in Draper.
Tex jumped directly into his back and is laying on top of him, never a more obvious push in the back decision I have seen.
Yet no one saw it? Wow!!!

One captains challenge per game, once used right or wrong it's gone, can only be used at stoppages of play. Almost every major sport is now using video referees to reduce the amount of mistakes, about time the AFL did too. The excuse of 'well it's always been s**t' is not good enough

"Won't this slow down the game?"
Not by much. Other world sports have it and it's not ridiculous. Besides, is integrity more or less important than your entertainment?

"Surely there are other ways"
Yeah, we can try professionalising the umpires. AFL are morons.

It's the AFL Toon.

haha-hotday.gif

Agree they should professionalise the umpires though.

The decision last night just shows how much knowledge of football is on BF.
The call for holding the ball and an Adelaide free is ridiculous.
Yet not one person has said it was a very clear push in the back in Draper.
Tex jumped directly into his back and is laying on top of him, never a more obvious push in the back decision I have seen.
Yet no one saw it? Wow!!!
It’s a common knowledge that once a player is on the ground, you are allowed to land in their back, tackle them high, sink your knees into them, put them in a headlock, anything goes.

You're relying on the assumption that some dopey dick won't convince his captain to burn his challenge within the first 90 seconds of the game

You're relying on the assumption that some dopey dick won't convince his captain to burn his challenge within the first 90 seconds of the game

200.gif

200.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And what happens when the reviewer stuffs up? We go to a second review?

Umpires make mistakes just like players. As long as humans are involved there will be errors.

Would put more resources into training the umpires better and in high pressure situations before making the game an NBA style s**t show.

Hallejuah !!

Looking at the vision of Draper flopping on top of the ball and laying with his arm outstretched I thought that the non decision was outrageous.

After reading the AFL rules, I am not so sure an umpire would be satisfied he took possession as per the rules (ie dragging it in).

Suspect the AFL will need to tweak another rule, or players will simply lay on the ball to hold up play.

Otherwise, not adverse to one Captain’s challenge per game.

If a player is lying on the ball but no opposition player grabs his jumper(i.e. tackles him) then the umpire cannot pay a free kick.

They waste enough time with reviews for goal umpires who are blind as bats. I saw one last night where it was so obviously touched ahead of the line, not on the line, but ahead of the line, and the dopey goal umpire, who was right there, wasn't able to make a decision. Why do we even have goal umpires anymore?

Then there was the ridiculous one a couple of weeks ago where a Geelong player was about 8 metres out, nobody between him and the goal, so it couldn't have been touched, he kicks the goal, it was at least 2 metres wide of the post, clearly a goal, and the idiot goal umpire wastes everyone's time calling for a review. I mean WTF???!!!

Back