Who is the best player in AFL history for a clone team?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll take 22 Joe Misiti’s from AFL live

Smart was a great player(not so much a fire walker)..From memory he didn’t play on Kouta when Koutaplayed mid though did he?
Yeah, he played on Kouta in the midfield at times. We played him on Kouta because of his ability to play midfield & defence.

Smart's 1st state game was as ruck rover.

He's a player who genuinely played midfield, forward & defence... played everywhere but ruck.

If you’re talking hypothetically, probably Ablett Sr. I mean based on skill, athleticism, leap, mark, strength: he pretty much has the tools for literally every position bar maybe ruck and his leap probably covers that anyway.
Talking evidence based it’s probably Goodes
He's a midget, he would get pumped by modern day full backs

Here are some real options:
Steven Silvagni
Wayne Carey
Matthew Richardson
Adam Goodes
Matthew Pavlich
Johnathan Brown
Nick Riewoldt
Lance Franklin
Patrick Dangerfield
Nat Fyfe
Marcus Bontempelli
Charlie Curnow

You need to look at players that have unique attributes for their position, for example:
Riewoldt, Brown and Curnow were/are all elite runners not just for their size, but elite runners full stop.

Bontempelli, Fyfe, Danger and Goodes were/are all very big midfielders with other elite attributes.

Gary "The flying midget" Ablett Snr would be a great small forward, winger and midfielder but he would struggle against big opposition in todays day and age.

He's a midget, he would get pumped by modern day full backs

Here are some real options:
Steven Silvagni
Wayne Carey
Matthew Richardson
Adam Goodes
Matthew Pavlich
Johnathan Brown
Nick Riewoldt
Lance Franklin
Patrick Dangerfield
Nat Fyfe
Marcus Bontempelli
Charlie Curnow

You need to look at players that have unique attributes for their position, for example:
Riewoldt, Brown and Curnow were/are all elite runners not just for their size, but elite runners full stop.

Bontempelli, Fyfe, Danger and Goodes were/are all very big midfielders with other elite attributes.

Gary "The flying midget" Ablett Snr would be a great small forward, winger and midfielder but he would struggle against big opposition in todays day and age.

He’s 9cm shorter than the current Coleman medalist. Im not sure given the disparity in his jump that it would make that much difference when you actually look at how much 9cm actually is.

He’s 9cm shorter than the current Coleman medalist. Im not sure given the disparity in his jump that it would make that much difference when you actually look at how much 9cm actually is.

9cm is a lot. Very hard for a player 9cm shorter to consistently outmark an opponent. Not impossible, but very hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9cm is a lot. Very hard for a player 9cm shorter to consistently outmark an opponent. Not impossible, but very hard.

Yeah that’s fair
RUNVS put it better than I did, he isn't a midget but he is short by modern standards. I think GAS would've played like modern day Dustin Martin. He's one of the best ever I just think establishing a team around "clones" needs more versatility.

I know I mentioned two Carlton players but both of those (Silvagni and Curnow) are far behind my two top picks in Pavlich and Riewoldt. I'd still take Goodes, Danger, Fyfe and Bont over either of those Carlton players in a team of 22 clones too.

Blicavs. He mightn't be the most talented but his skills are adequate for the task. His opponent might get out to a lead but he'd run them all into the ground and come over the top late I'm quarters and late in the 4th quarter in particular.

He'd just have to keep himself in striking distance.

RUNVS put it better than I did, he isn't a midget but he is short by modern standards. I think GAS would've played like modern day Dustin Martin. He's one of the best ever I just think establishing a team around "clones" needs more versatility.

I know I mentioned two Carlton players but both of those (Silvagni and Curnow) are far behind my two top picks in Pavlich and Riewoldt. I'd still take Goodes, Danger, Fyfe and Bont over either of those Carlton players in a team of 22 clones too.

Curnow wouldn't be able to hit a target. Danger and Fyfe would struggle in this area too. Ablett's kicking power / length on both feet would make him problematic.

Curnow wouldn't be able to hit a target. Danger and Fyfe would struggle in this area too. Ablett's kicking power / length on both feet would make him problematic.

He be giving away 6cm at every marking contest against Goodes and Pavlich. They are two players who have excellent skills as well, and I know as a Swans fan Goodes was also very efficient ball in hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back