Who is the best Key Forward of the 21st Century?

Who is the best Key Forward of the 21st Century?

• Lance Franklin

Votes: 99 85.3%
  • Tom Hawkins

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Matthew Lloyd

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Nick Riewoldt

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Barry Hall

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Warren Tredrea

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep definitely would put Pav instead
I'll put Tredrea a cool 11th, marginally making my top dozen.

1. Lance Franklin
2. Nick Riewoldt
3. Matthew Pavlich
4. Jack Riewoldt
5. Tom Hawkins
6. Brendan Fevola
7. Matthew Lloyd (21st century footy only)
8. Barry Hall
9. Josh J. Kennedy
10. Jeremy Cameron
11. Warren Tredrea
12. Jarryd Roughead
13. Jonathan Brown
14. Fraser Gehrig
15. Matthew Richardson (21st century footy only)

Do you consider Shane Crawford to be on the same level as Voss, hird, Buckley?

Pavlich is the same level as Crawford. An absolute superstar who SHOULD be regarded in the top echelon, but playing for a struggling team for the majority of his career has ensured he sits a rung below
Buddy the best but Pav shades tredders and pips st nick by a nose

I'll put Tredrea a cool 11th, marginally making my top dozen.

1. Lance Franklin
2. Nick Riewoldt
3. Matthew Pavlich
4. Jack Riewoldt
5. Tom Hawkins
6. Brendan Fevola
7. Matthew Lloyd (21st century footy only)
8. Barry Hall
9. Josh J. Kennedy
10. Jeremy Cameron
11. Warren Tredrea
12. Jarryd Roughead
13. Jonathan Brown
14. Fraser Gehrig
15. Matthew Richardson (21st century footy only)
Travis Cloke not in the conversation?

Tredrea's legacy in our game is comically overrated at times. He wouldn't be top dozen. We're talking about entire careers here, not 3-4 years.
He was named chf AA four years in a row only Carey matched that.
8x leading goal kicker at port
2001-04 he dominated
I don’t think his overrated
J brown by a country mile is the most overrated fwd

Ronnie Burns

1. L. Franklin
2. J. Reiwoldt
3. N. Reiwoldt
4. M. Lloyd
5. T. Hawkins
6. M.Pavlich
7. J. Kennedy (Eagles)
8. E. Betts
9. T. Walker
10. F. Gehrig

Buddy compared to the next best forward, is arguably the biggest positional discrepancy in quality of player between first & second in the history of the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you consider Shane Crawford to be on the same level as Voss, hird, Buckley?

Pavlich is the same level as Crawford. An absolute superstar who SHOULD be regarded in the top echelon, but playing for a struggling team for the majority of his career has ensured he sits a rung below
Strangely in a way Yes. He did win a Brownlow medal in 1999. But yeah he stuck through many tough years at the hawks.

Shane Crawfords Career went through a few Phases. I still remember him and Mark Riccuito in that 1993 elim final between the crows and hawks.

He played another final in 1996 vs the Swans. Then Hawks had a rebuild from 1997-99. He was Part of that hawks 2000-2001 finals era that won 3 finals.

He then saw through that 2002-06 rebuild while younger mids like Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge were slowly developing as the next generation of mids.

Shane Crawford nearly left the hawks at one point. He was in that 2008 premiership win at 34 years and 18 days.

He was named chf AA four years in a row only Carey matched that.
8x leading goal kicker at port
2001-04 he dominated
I don’t think his overrated
J brown by a country mile is the most overrated fwd
Actually think Tredrea is mostly underrated. He was an amazing player who was dominant in the comp for a while. I probably wouldnt have him top 5 in this list but he is definitely a top 10 key forward so far this century

I think I'd have to tip the Big Bud.

Look at what he did earlier on in his career. That 2008 season. The guy was a freak. The game changed too many times across his career and so did he. He still maintained a high level of footy and he could play FF or CHF. His best was also cut short through injuries but he was a game changer and had an influence around the ball.

Buddy for me. Then I'd go Matthew Lloyd. Absolute star and one of the best forwards our game has seen. Don't sleep on what he did in 1999, 2000 and 2001.

Powerfully built, agile, strong, quick off the lead and a dead eyed d1ck.

In season 2001 he averaged 3 goals out of 4 with his scoring shots. 105 goals and 36 behinds.

Phenomenal talent.

Key Forwards
8 – Lance Franklin | 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
5 - Tom Hawkins | 2012, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
5 - Matthew Lloyd | 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003
5 - Nick Riewoldt | 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014
4 - Barry Hall | 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010
4 - Warren Tredrea | 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004

In order to be on the list

• Must have won 4 All Australians or more
  • Must have won a majority of those All Australians in the 21st century, which is why Lloyd makes the list (just) but Wayne Carey doesn't even though he technically won an AA in 2000.

Now this is not quite as easy as I first thought it would be since I thought Buddy would be a shoe in not realising Lloyd was eligible too as Lloyd was a very good player, but I am still going to have to go with Buddy as I feel like he played majority of his career in a time when scoring goals was harder than when Lloyd played, and Buddy could do things no other player in the history of the game could do.

Who do you think is the best Key Forward of the 21st Century?
I know I'm being pedantic. And stuff like maths and counting is going out of fashion. But seriously, wtf? How does the year 2000 qualify as part of the 21st century?

Back