What is your clubs best 22 of the 21st century so far?

Remove this Banner Ad

B: Shaw, Davis, Haynes
HB: Whitfield, Taylor, Williams
C: Kelly, Ward, Scully
HF: Greene, Cameron, Johnson
F: Daniels, Hogan, Himmelberg
R: Mumford, Coniglio, Steele
IC: Treloar, Shiel, Green, Finlayson
Sub: Taranto

B: Doughty - Rutten - Johncock
HB: Smith - Talia - Dawson
C: McLeod - Ricciuto - Edwards
HF: Goodwin - Jenkins - Sloane
F: Betts - Walker - Welsh
1R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Thompson
Int: Douglas , Burton , Laird, Cameron
Similar side for me...

B: Hart, Rutten, Smart
HB: Smith, Talia, Laird
C: Sloane, Ricciuto, Goodwin
HF: Lynch, Walker, Dangerfield
F: Betts, Jenkins, Welsh
R: Jacobs, Thompson, McLeod
I: Johncock, Edwards, Dawson, Burton
Sub: Vince
E: Bassett, van Berlo, Douglas

Stewart Scarlett Mackie
Duncan Taylor Enright
Bilcavs Selwood Corey
Johnson Cameron Dangerfield
Chapman Hawkins Stengle

Ottens Bartel Ablett

Milburn Kelly Harley Ling

Last edited:
FB: Luke Ryan - Alex Pearce - Michael Johnson
HB: Roger Hayden - Luke McPharlin - Paul Duffield
C: Bradley Hill - David Mundy - Stephen Hill
HF: Michael Walters - Matthew Pavlich - Hayden Ballantyne
FF: Chris Mayne - Justin Longmuir - Jeff Farmer

R: Aaron Sandilands - Nat Fyfe - Peter Bell

INT: Sean Darcy - Antoni Grover - Lachie Neale - Paul Hasleby

Honorable mentions to Brennan Cox, Michael Barlow, Ryan Crowley, Lee Spurr, Paul Medhurst, Zac Dawson, Shane Parker, Garrick Ibbotson, Tendai Mzungu, Matthew Taberner and Troy Cook.

Names I expect to be in this team by the end of their careers but felt a little too early Andrew Brayshaw, Caleb Serong, Hayden Young, Luke Jackson, Jye Amiss and Jordan Clark. Brayshaw and Serong should probably be in it now.

Are you sure about Nankervis? I am not too well versed on Richmond ruckmen but wouldn't Simmonds or Maric be better?

Nankervis is easily a better ruck than them. Not as a pure ruck (ie. tap - he's not that good) but the role he played and his follow up and pressure acts was crucial to our 3 flags. He gets in on that alone without question.

For me
Wirra Glass Hurn
Shep McGovern Yeo
Embley Cousins Gaff
Shuey Kennedy Cripps
Matera Darling Lecras
Cox Judd Kerr
Nic Nat, Hunter, chick, Jones

So my general idea here is I am going to get a list of as many best 22's from each club and then hopefully in a few weeks create a poll where we can find out the club with the best 22 from the 21st century, which I think will be interesting.

Now for me the only rules are be sensible with selections. So for instance yes Tony Lockett played in the 21st century, but he only played a couple of games and no one is going to claim that those were his best games, so someone like Tony Lockett is obviously not making the Swans best 22 for the 21st century.

This isn't a rule as such but I wanted Gulden in the Swans best 22, but the Swans board was very much against it, saying he needed a few more years before he could possibly be included, and I don't disagree with that assessment, but if you want to put some young players in your teams best 22 then go ahead.

So here is the Swans best 22, though admittedly there is a lot of debate, but the nucleus of Swans fans ideas are similar, even if everyone has slightly different best 22's.

B: Smith, Richards, Roberts-Thompson
HB: McVeigh, C.Bolton, Kennelly
C: Goodes, Jack, Hannebery
HF: Papley, Franklin, Davis
F: O'Loughlin, Hall, O'Keefe
Foll: Ball, Kennedy, Kirk
Int: Parker, Malceski, J.Bolton, Rampe

To me this is a very good side (obviously) with a very very dangerous forward line and a very strong defense. There are not many holes in this side, though the ruck is not the strongest in the world, and the midfield itself is a little on the slow side as there is not a huge amount of leg speed there. However in saying that given it is a best 22 of the 21st century I imagine most teams will be really strong.

I would love to see what best 22's other teams would have and what you think are the strengths and even weaknesses of your teams best 22.

Also other Swans fans, if you disagree with my best 22 (and I bet many of you do), feel very free to post as well.
Craig Bolton goes to the back pocket and Heath Grundy goes to CHB. LRT Out. Even though he was a 2x premiership player he was a serviceable role player. Grundy was an unheralded Club Champion who was a rock across half back marking anything that come near him.

FB: Saad, Weitering, Docherty
HB: Lappin, Jamison, Simpson
C: Kouta, Walsh, Camporale
HF: Walker, McKay, Marc Murphy
FF: Betts, Curnow, Fevola
R: Kreuzer, Judd, Cripps
B: Ratten, Whitnall, Waite, Gibbs

Probably missing something obvious here

It's a shame we can't include Silvagni and Bradley due to the OPs stipulation :p They played a bit, but their best was definitely in the century before. McKay (like Ratten) played 3 seasons and was also AA in 2001, so I would include him and think that's fair. Great player.

Personally for me, I think Heath Scotland is overlooked by many but was a damn fine player and a BnF winner. I have to have him in there and even though Saad would likely make this list given a few more seasons, I think we have enough of his type in this side. He might get the sub role if that's allowed?

On balance and if this team was to actually take the field, I'd remove Whitnall from the team (stiff) and have Waite as that swingman. Whitnall's best was better than Waite's and better than most TBH, but Waite was more consistant I feel. Depends what you're going for... If Whitnall is playing his absolute best footy (and is fit), he starts as CHB no question and Waite is shuffled out...

FB: A. McKay, Weitering, Docherty
C: Walsh, Kouta, Camporeale
HF: Walker, H. McKay, M. Murphy
FF: Betts, Fevola, Curnow
B: Ratten, Scotland, Waite, Gibbs

E: Whitnall Saad Carrazzo

It's a shame we can't include Silvagni and Bradley due to the OPs stipulation :p They played a bit, but their best was definitely in the century before. McKay (like Ratten) played 3 seasons and was also AA in 2001, so I would include him and think that's fair. Great player.

Personally for me, I think Heath Scotland is overlooked by many but was a damn fine player and a BnF winner. I have to have him in there and even though Saad would likely make this list given a few more seasons, I think we have enough of his type in this side. He might get the sub role if that's allowed?

On balance and if this team was to actually take the field, I'd remove Whitnall from the team (stiff) and have Waite as that swingman. Whitnall's best was better than Waite's and better than most TBH, but Waite was more consistant I feel. Depends what you're going for... If Whitnall is playing his absolute best footy (and is fit), he starts as CHB no question and Waite is shuffled out...

FB: A. McKay, Weitering, Docherty
C: Walsh, Kouta, Camporeale
HF: Walker, H. McKay, M. Murphy
FF: Betts, Fevola, Curnow
B: Ratten, Scotland, Waite, Gibbs,

E: Whitnall Saad Carrazzo
I'm biased against Scotland only because I went to school with three of his nieces/nephews and was good mates with them. So always felt I had a biased opinion as to how good he was because I had that personal connection. He was very good.

I agree with you on Whitnall's best being better than Waite's, or even McKay's, but Whitnall had a short career unfortunately.

I like your team a little better than mine, McKay is a good addition who I forgot about as he was in his final season when I really picked up watching footy as a kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm biased against Scotland only because I went to school with three of his nieces/nephews and was good mates with them. So always felt I had a biased opinion as to how good he was because I had that personal connection. He was very good.

I agree with you on Whitnall's best being better than Waite's, or even McKay's, but Whitnall had a short career unfortunately.

I like your team a little better than mine, McKay is a good addition who I forgot about as he was in his final season when I really picked up watching footy as a kid.

Fair enough.

I think mine is perhaps a little more balanced if it was an actual game. Ratten is part of the midfield rotation and a very good midfield at that. Waite plays whatever end he is needed, forward when I assume H. McKay helps out in the ruck. Scotland is part of the defensive mix, possibly the midfield and Gibbs can literally do anything from tagging, defensive forward, mid or half back.

Not a bad side at all, but I dunno if we make finals looking around the other sides. Maybe we finish 9th and get in when they find out a lot of Essendon's team were part of a doping regime?

Jed Adock ya reckon?

For such a strong side, the half back flanks are not particularly outstanding. Daniel Rich, Darryl White and Jed Adcock were all good players but none are quite at the level of 25 year "rep side", at least compared to some of the other teams (1 AA to Rich between the 3 of them).

Geelong have Enright, Stewart and have left out Duncan and others for example.
Adelaide have McLeod, Laird, Dawson, etc.
I had to put Shaun Burgoyne at half forward (to accommodate Hodge and Birchall) with most others leaving Joel Smith (2xAA HBF) out altogether.
Even Carlton who have been mostly awful have Docherty, Saad, Simpson, Lappin, McKay, Camporaele, etc. to choose from in that position.

Then again, the Freo side above have named Roger Hayden and Paul Duffield so..it could be worse :p

Guys, I think a few are getting confused with the age old debate (which really isn't one) of when the century started... I don't think we need to go into if there was a year 0 or not :straining:

The 21st century began on the 1st of January 2001, so the 2000 season is out (looking at you Essendon and Brisbane posters). If we are including that, I'm definitely including Stephen Silvagni and Craig Bradley in my team.

But we're not, so...

For such a strong side, the half back flanks are not particularly outstanding. Daniel Rich, Darryl White and Jed Adcock were all good players but none are quite at the level of 25 year "rep side", at least compared to some of the other teams (1 AA to Rich between the 3 of them).

Geelong have Enright, Stewart and have left out Duncan and others for example.
Adelaide have McLeod, Laird, Dawson, etc.
I had to put Shaun Burgoyne at half forward (to accommodate Hodge and Birchall) with most others leaving Joel Smith (2xAA HBF) out altogether.
Even Carlton who have been mostly awful have Docherty, Saad, Simpson, Lappin, McKay, Camporaele, etc. to choose from in that position.

Then again, the Freo side above have named Roger Hayden and Paul Duffield so..it could be worse :p
Id be pushing Mundy on to the HBF with Roger Hayden and L Ryan the other options.

Collingwood 21st Century Best 23

FB Brayden Maynard - Simon Prestigiacomo - James Clement
HB Nick Maxwell - Darcy Moore - Heath Shaw
C Steele Sidebottom - Nathan Buckley - Dale Thomas
HF Jordan De Goey - Brody Mihocek - Jamie Elliot
FF Leon Davis - Travis Cloke - Alan Didak
FOLL Darren Jolly - Dane Swan - Scott Pendlebury
BENCH Ben Johnson - Scott Burns - Nick Dacios - Chris Tarrant
SUB: Anthony Rocca

Thoughts?
I know he has fallen a long way but Grundy was definitely a better ruck for us than Jolly. Jolly was amazing cause after many years since Monkhorst we finally had a decent ruck that helped get us over the line in 2010. But a young Grundy literally took Jolly's spot in the team before anyone expected.

I'd probably take :
Josh Daicos or Jack Crisp over Ben Johnson and Leon Davis.
Rocca over Mihocek.
Lumumba over Maxwell. Id probably take IQ over Maxwell too.

None of those are clear cut thought as Grundy > Jolly.

Lumumba over Maxwell. Id probably take IQ over Maxwell too.

Lumumba probably gets overlooked by some becuase he is a giant tool in a lot of people's eyes and they are unable to seperate that from him as a player. He also kind of limped over the line as a Dee which may be fresh in people's minds too...

Lumumba probably makes sense not only because he was better and more gifted than Maxwell, but he would play better with the back 6-7 you already have if you're taking a gameday POV. He provides that athleticism, ability to play on almost all types and some dash, carry and drive. That side already has enough dour/stopper types in Presti, Maynard and Clement to a degree, so he makes sense on both fronts.

Lumumba probably gets overlooked by some becuase he is a giant tool in a lot of people's eyes and they are unable to seperate that from him as a player. He also kind of limped over the line as a Dee which may be fresh in people's minds too...

Lumumba probably makes sense not only because he was better and more gifted than Maxwell, but he would play better with the back 6-7 you already have if you're taking a gameday POV. He provides that athleticism, ability to play on almost all types and some dash, carry and drive. That side already has enough dour/stopper types in Presti, Maynard and Clement to a degree, so he makes sense on both fronts.

Lumumba used to always tear Sydney a new one. He was basically unstoppable for some reason. If a Swans fan was creating a 21st century best 22 for Collingwood Lumumba would be in it.

COLLINGWOOD

B: Brayden Maynard - Darcy Moore - James Clement
HB: Heritier Lumumba - Ben Reid - Heath Shaw
C: Steele Sidebottom - Dane Swan - Dale Thomas
HF: Jordan De Goey - Travis Cloke - Alan Didak
F: Leon Davis - Chris Tarrant - Jamie Elliott
R: Brodie Grundy - Nathan Buckley - Scott Pendlebury
I: Nick Daicos - Anthony Rocca - Jeremy Howe - Dayne Beams
Sub: Taylor Adams

HM: Jack Crisp, Nick Maxwell, Darren Jolly, Scott Burns, Paul Licuria, Simon Prestigiacomo, Brody Mihocek, Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back