Vintage Bay Bear Grylls: Man vs AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Greetings viewers.

Bear-Grylls_280_456043a.jpg

I have travelled this volatile planet far and wide and survived almost every kind of treacherous landscape on offer with relative ease. Now, boredom and monotony have begun to set in – and I feel it is time that I partake in a genuine survival challenge – the AFL frontier. I will be spending a day with each club to make an entire episode – and pending my survival from each challenge – will move onto the next club. First stop - North Melbourne Kangaroos Football Club:

North_Melbourne_Football_Club_Logo.png

Upon my arrival Arden St I was taken aback by the perilous state of the landscape, and for the first time in my career I was genuinely fearful for my well being.

Arden%20St%20Oval.jpg

As I entered through the rusty, tetanus infested front gates I was greeted by an odd little man with waxed eyebrows and bleached teeth – he introduced himself as James Brayshaw as he took my hand and kissed my wrist – the scent of lavender emanating from his self. He insisted that during my stay at Arden St that I should don the traditional strip as worn by the natives, and not wanting to insult the inhabitants I obliged. Though I did feel a tad uncomfortable as I changed with Mr Brayshaw watching with intent, chewing his bottom lip and fingering his belly button.

%5B209%5Dimagefile.jpg

Mr Brayshaw then introduced me to what he referred to as “The Skipper” of his tribe, a small, curious man named Brent. I was advised not to make eye contact with Brent when addressing him as he may become riled and incensed by the challenging of his authority. He seemed a pleasant enough savage – and I took my seat and observed the tribe in what was referred to as a “training drill”.

Curious indeed – it would seem that all the natives were separated into a groups, and trained separately. I focused on the midfield group, which began a sprinting drill and was interested to note that all members of the midfield moved at exactly the same pace! Then the midfield began a few ball handling drills, which funnily enough Mr Brayshaw insisted in joining in, despite training by himself on the sidelines. I watched as the midfielders intertwined and punched the odd shaped ball to each other until the one known as Brent fumbled and dropped the ball and the grouped stopped. All the younger members of the midfield proceeded to stare at the ground as he berated and prodded them for what was quite obviously his error. When I intervened and asked why he was shifting the blame, Brent proceeded to attack me, resulting as pictured below:

bear-grylls1.jpg

Luckily I was experienced with the pygmy tribes of Papua New Guinea, and easily hog tired the angry little man before too much damage could be done. All this made me quite thirsty, so I enjoyed a warm glass of my own urine to re-energize myself.

Next we moved on through to the feeding area for our lunch, the menu appeared to be some kind of raw amphibian served with 2 minute noodles – which Mr Brayshaw proclaimed this dish was usually saved for special occasions at Arden St. Now I have eaten some schlopp in my time, but this by far the worst meal I have ever consumed.

085562-adventurer-bear-grylls.jpg

After not wanting to insult the locals I ate my meal and decided it was time for me to move on. I humbly bowed and thanked the hosts for being so hospitable, to which they offered a small metal tin and insisted I make a donation to their plight. I donated a few coins totalling in about $3.75 to which Mr Brayshaw first proceeded to kiss my feet, then began tounging between my toes.

I then hastily made my way to the rusty gates where I was confronted by a huge beast, frothing at the mouth. The ground rumbled as it charged towards me, obviously incessed by the smell of food on my breath and I pulled my trusty knife – luckily I was well experienced with wild animals and did not openly display my fear.

81126369.jpg

As I began to strike the natives stopped me and calmed the beast, and informed me that it was indeed Brent’s wife, and attached a lead to the ring that was through it’s nose and led it away. My heart beat began to settle as I again thanked my hosts and fled Arden St, thankful to still be in one piece.

bear_grylls_in_jungle.jpg

Nice work. I expect that you'll go into a bit more depth with the other teams?

Who is up tomorrow?

Dunno about more indepth - but like everything else I do, it'll be more outlandish. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice thread, will rate 5 stars if Bear slices Jay Neagle open and spends the night inside him

BearGrylls.jpg

Next stop: Carlton Blues Football Club

77617.png

As I pulled into Visy Park, I was greeted as I opened the car door by a large man grunting inaudible, base heavy phrases reminiscent of the adults from the cartoon “Peanuts”. Through the muddled communication I managed to gather that the man’s name was “Sticks” and he was the President of Carlton.

414514-stephen-kernahan.jpg

He was accompanied by a large man who introduced himself by offering a paw the size of a shovel head for me to shake, then proceeded to beat his chest with his closed fists and repeatedly grunted the word “Lance”.

Lance-Whitnall-5700014.gif

Sticks insisted that I keep close to Lance during my stay as he explained that the zoo keeper had forgotten to give one of natives known as Mitch his morning dose of Ritalin and he had broken free from his lead.

metal-peg-thumb4949413.jpg

I was led through the foyer of the club and shown with great pride the collection of 16 silver cups that stood in what appeared to be a shabby trophy cabinet made from recycled aluminium cans. Unbeknownst to me, I was obviously somewhat offensive to the natives, as the massive grin was quickly removed from Sticks’ face after I proceeded to point out that the last one was over 15 years old.

show_image.php

Now obviously in a foul mood, Sticks lead me into a large hall where a bald man sat on a throne, eating grapes while being fanned by an androgynous boy with a palm leaf. The Bald man introduced himself as Chris and spoke with a faux aristocratic accent, the boy servant was named Bryce. Chris was overtly loquacious in his bid to appear affluent, grimacing between breathes, which would usually annoy me but I was distracted by an odd creature that was clinging to an indoor tree behind Chris.

013596-jeannie-pratt.jpg

The creature resembled a cross between “Dobby” from Harry Potter and a common Koala, and it stared intently at me as it chewed on the gum leaves hanging from the tree, striking a mixed feeling of illness and fear deep into my heart. Thoughts of pulling my knife and euthanasing this abomination of nature flickered through my mind until I was snapped out of my curious stupor by Chris advising me it was training time.

109691-chris-judd.jpg

We proceeded out onto the football oval where the natives began to practice their ball skills. It was an interesting drill – all members of the squad proceeded to stand in a large circle around Chris while he would drop the ball onto his boot and it would shoot off into a random direction where one of the other members of the squad would “mark” the ball and all other members would proceed to clap and tell the bald one what a great kick it was.

After this drill had finished, the squad proceeded to board a bus driven by Chris which repeatedly did laps around the oval. Just watching Chris made my mouth parched, so I rehydrated myself with a warm glass of my urine.

It was then meal time. We returned to the great hall where Chris returned to his thrown and was hand fed by Sticks a meal of crayfish stuffed with caviar. The other members of the squad lined up at the canteen counter and were served a steaming bowl of recycled cardboard. I declined the offer for a helping of the cardboard, but as I was seated with Lance, I decided to share his meal, as pictured below:

518814-bear-grylls.jpg

Tired and still uneasy at the prospect of being the victim of an unwarranted attack from the one they called Mitch and the resulting rabies booster, I bid my farewell to the natives. As I left, I couldn’t help but feel for the natives of Carlton’s future, obviously so heavily invested in the one they called Chris, and what would come of it when he retired.

Bear%252BGrylls_571_18981847_0_0_7022686_300.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back