2012 official Geelong list and number changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again I'll be tracking the official changes to the list across the off-season.

Please keep this thread for official announcements and updates only and keep speculation to other threads.

Previous years:
2010 list changes
2011 list changes

2011 list
1 Mitchell Brown
2 Billie Smedts
3 Jimmy Bartel
4 Andrew Mackie
5 Travis Varcoe
6 Brad Ottens - retired (31 October)
7 Harry Taylor
8 Josh Hunt
9 James Kelly
10 Daniel Menzel
11 Joel Corey
12 Trent West
13 Tom Lonergan
14 Joel Selwood
15 Jordan Schroder
16 Dawson Simpson
17 Shannon Byrnes
18 Josh Cowan
19 Taylor Hunt
20 Steve Johnson
21 Cameron Mooney - retired (23 August)
22 Mitchell Duncan
23 Marcus Drum - retired (21 July)
24 Mark Blake - retired (20 October)
25 Tom Gillies
26 Tom Hawkins
27 Mathew Stokes
28 Allen Christensen
29 Cameron Guthrie
30 Matthew Scarlett
31 James Podsiadly
32 Steven Motlop
33 George Horlin-Smith
34 Simon Hogan
35 Paul Chapman
36 Nathan Vardy
37 Jack Weston - delisted(2 November)
38 Ben Johnson - delisted (2 November)
39 Darren Milburn - retired (11 October)
40 David Wojcinski
41 Jesse Stringer
42 Joshua Walker
43 George Burbury

44 Corey Enright
45 Cameron Ling - retired (5 October)
46 Jonathan Simpkin
47 Ryan Bathie

Official 2012 list (at 19 December)
1 Mitchell Brown
2 Billie Smedts
3 Jimmy Bartel
4 Andrew Mackie
5 Travis Varcoe
6 Lincoln McCarthy - 2011 National Draft selection no. 66 (24 November)
7 Harry Taylor
8 Josh Hunt
9 James Kelly
10 Daniel Menzel
11 Joel Corey
12 Trent West
13 Tom Lonergan
14 Joel Selwood
15 Jordan Schroder
16 Dawson Simpson
17 Shannon Byrnes
18 Josh Cowan
19 Taylor Hunt
20 Steve Johnson
21 Jordan Murdoch - 2011 National Draft selection no. 48 (24 November)
22 Mitchell Duncan
23 Orren Stephenson - 2011 National Draft selection no. 78 (24 November)
24 Jed Bews - 2011 National Draft selection no. 86 (24 November) (father-son nomination, 10 October)
25 Tom Gillies
26 Tom Hawkins
27 Mathew Stokes
28 Allen Christensen
29 Cameron Guthrie
30 Matthew Scarlett
31 James Podsiadly
32 Steven Motlop
33 George Horlin-Smith
34 Simon Hogan
35 Paul Chapman
36 Nathan Vardy
37 Cam Eardley - 2011 Rookie Draft selection no. 18 (13 December)
38 Jackson Sheringham - 2011 Rookie Draft selection no. 36 (13 December)
39 Shane Kersten - 2011 National Draft selection no. 34 (24 November)
40 David Wojcinski
41 Jesse Stringer
42 Joshua Walker
43 George Burbury

44 Corey Enright
45 Joel Hamling - 2011 National Draft selection no. 32 (24 November)
46 Jonathan Simpkin
47 Ryan Bathie

48 Mark Blicavs - 2011 Rookie Draft selection no. 54 (13 December) (Player not registered or played for three years inclusion on rookie list, 29 November)

Incoming
Joel Hamling
Shane Kersten
Jordan Murdoch
Lincoln McCarthy
Orren Stephenson
Jed Bews
Cam Eardley
Jackson Sheringham
Mark Blicavs

National Draft Round One compensation selection (NB. To be used within the next four years)

Outgoing
Cameron Mooney
Marcus Drum
Cameron Ling
Darren Milburn
Mark Blake
Brad Ottens
Jack Weston
Ben Johnson

2012 Geelong list changes

NAB AFL DRAFT KEY DATES

Friday October 7 (2pm) - Nomination deadline for father-son bidding selections. Final bidding nominations for Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast and Sydney Swans eligible Academy players.

Monday October 10 (10am) - Father-son nomination and Academy nomination bidding meeting.

Monday October 10 - Monday October 17 (2pm) - AFL exchange period, including GWS zone incentive trading rules.

Thursday October 13 (2pm) - GWS nomination deadline of uncontracted players.

Monday October 17 (2.10pm) - GWS zone incentive selections.

Monday October 31 - Club list lodgement one.

Friday November 11 (2pm) - Out of contract primary list player draft nomination deadline. New or expired player draft nomination deadline. Nomination of use of compensatory selection at the 2011 NAB AFL Draft by clubs that lose a player to GWS.

Wednesday November 16 - Club list lodgement two.

Friday November 18 (2pm) - Delisted primary list player draft nomination deadline. Non-retained rookie player draft nomination deadline. Gold Coast to nominate priority zone Queensland selections. GWS to nominate NSW/ACT zone and NT access players.

Wednesday November 23 or Thursday November 24 - NAB AFL Draft.

Tuesday November 29 (2pm) - Out of contract primary list player draft nomination deadline. International player rookie list nomination deadline. Players not registered or played for three years rookie list nomination deadline. Scholarship and international scholarship rookie list nomination deadline.

Wednesday November 30 - Club list lodgement three.

Tuesday December 6 - Delisted primary list player draft nomination deadline. GWS to nominate previously listed players or players previously nominated for the draft.

Tuesday December 13 - NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft (10am). Brisbane Lions/Gold Coast/ Sydney Swans and GWS nomination of pre-selected rookies. NAB AFL Rookie Draft (10.15am)

Re: Pre-2012 season Geelong list changes (updated 20 October)

Just checked the players list on the Cats website. Updated for Ottens' retirement and Jack Weston and Ben Johnson seem to be cut too?

Updated for Ottens' retirement and Jack Weston and Ben Johnson seem to be cut too?

Good spot.
The club just confirmed that both Jack Weston and Ben Johnson have been delisted, to go along with the retirements of Ottens, Ling, Milburn, Mooney, Blake and Drum.

Good spot.
The club just confirmed that both Jack Weston and Ben Johnson have been delisted, to go along with the retirements of Ottens, Ling, Milburn, Mooney, Blake and Drum.

Was expecting weston and ben johnson to be cut. Stringer?

Interesting, i'd rather keep weston and cut stringer and ben johnson.

Interesting, i'd rather keep weston and cut stringer and ben johnson.

I thought that when Weston was up and going he showed a bit. But if you are a rookie LTI's appear fatal to your plans of becoming an AFL player.
On the other hand, I would have been very surprised if Johnson had not been cut.

Re: 2012 Geelong list and number changes (completed 19 December)

With the retirements, de-listings and the allocation of numbers to new players each year, I have an irrational difficulty seeing the new players wearing retired champions's numbers. This sentimentality makes me wish the retiring champions' numbers were put away for a while, until the new Kittens proved they're worthy of those numbers.

When Harley, Milburn, Ling, Wojinski came to the Club they were allocated higher numbers and Harley was given No. 2 after a length of time. The others chose to keep their numbers. I like that system, because the Kittens earn their champion numbers.

It also occurs, by giving the brand new Kittens the numbers of champions, does it put extra pressure on them? Or should they be given champion numbers as recognition for successfully joining an elite Club? /:-|

Re: 2012 Geelong list and number changes (completed 19 December)

....This sentimentality makes me wish the retiring champions' numbers were put away for a while, until the new Kittens proved they're worthy of those numbers.

It also occurs, by giving the brand new Kittens the numbers of champions, does it put extra pressure on them? Or should they be given champion numbers as recognition for successfully joining an elite Club? /:-|

I don't think that the numbers mean much at all. Within the club, I doubt that there is the emphasis on individual superstar players.

The Geelong Cats are a football Club that other clubs want to emulate. And with the new professional culture at the club the pressure comes on you by pulling on a AFL jumper with blue and white hoops.

The numbers on that jumper are irrelevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back