Past Andrew Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't remember Walker taking a contested mark ever before. Sorry Walker but most of his kicks end up being a turn over. He could have 30+touches but hardly any of them are hard ball gets and lets face it, the stats are not a true reflection on where the ball went or the pressure he put his team mate under once he's disposed of it.
It's fair to say that I'm no Walker fan, havent been since his second game.:eek:
Your post contradicts your username.

meblind works.

Go and watch his performance as a lead up forward against Port in 2008.

2008!! i agree he should have played forward not back. Ratten has done that once but the Kennelly got awat from him in the last quater and got 12 touches. Ran rings around Walker, he cant tackle for sh## so kennely easily got away from him. I was there and heard Rattens thinly vield spray at Walker. he was up forward to tag kennelly, did a fantastic job for 3 quarters and kicked a few goals. He the went back to selfish footy and lost kennelly.

2008!! i agree he should have played forward not back. Ratten has done that once but the Kennelly got awat from him in the last quater and got 12 touches. Ran rings around Walker, he cant tackle for sh## so kennely easily got away from him. I was there and heard Rattens thinly vield spray at Walker. he was up forward to tag kennelly, did a fantastic job for 3 quarters and kicked a few goals. He the went back to selfish footy and lost kennelly.
He was playing on Mattner in the last quarter you moron.

Welcome to Carlton.

Walker happy to remain a Blue, says manager
"The only way that Andrew was going to go was if Andrew could get to a location he wanted to be at," Walker's mananger Tom Petroro told afl.com.au's Trade Week Radio.

"It wasn't an issue that Andrew had to leave, so he is really happy to stay."

"Brett assures me that the opportunities are going to be there for Andrew, so it's pretty exciting," Petroro said.

"Brett's aware of what area he needs to help Andrew with and Andrew's aware also of what he needs to work on.

"I think that both parties will be fine and will hopefully work through a really successful career at the Carlton footy club for Andrew."
Walker happy to remain a Blue, says manager

A compensation pick for losing Walker to GWS will do if that's the road Andy wants to go down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am super happy 1 Aw is staying.
We need his dash and daring.
Im hoping we can help him gain confidence and use him to our strengths.
He has been thrown around all over the place playing roles that dont suit him.
He has also been unfortunate with injury.
Im hoping this will be a massive season for Andrew.

74352_460377138333_108959538333_5430619_211911_n.jpg

I've just got a really good feeling about Walks for 2011. He has a lot of offer up forward and it's well overdue that he gets his stint there.

Walker talks of the turning point
“It was all handled really well,” Walker said of his meeting with Ratten. “We both sat down and decided that my best football would be played as an on-baller or up forward, and that’s where I thought I played my best football.

“It’s a pretty harsh world, AFL, and if you limit yourself and don’t express how you feel then your football’s going to slowly die off . . . and you want to get the most out of it.

“That was me going to them and saying ‘This is where I play my best football, and if I couldn’t have that opportunity here then I’d have to look for other opportunities to play as a midfielder or as a forward’.”

Walker added that he had since held talks with the club’s recently-appointed Assistant Coaches Alan Richardson and Gavin Brown, “and they’re happy to help with my development as a forward and a midfielder, and also as a defender if I have to go back there”.

He said he had again met with Ratten to work on his game strengths, and more particularly his deficiencies, to hasten his cause of playing up the ground.

As he said, “If we get them all right then there’s definitely a spot in the midfield/forward for me”.
Walker talks of the turning point

CFC TV: Walker talks of turning point

This is Walker's first pre-season without surgery after we drafted him in 2003.

Looked in ripping shape at training today.

74504_461530818333_108959538333_5444333_6248108_n.jpg

Kudos to Andy for being honest enough to approach the coaching staff and express his beliefs. Football isn't something you have until your 65 years old like most people with their working careers...

Sounds like it's going to be a better fit for both parties and I am extremely glad we didn't lose him in the trade period :thumbsu:

My buddy preview for 2011

Andrew Walker has divided Carlton fans for almost his entire career. A number 2 draft pick who exploded onto the scene on debut whom since, has suffered season ending after season interrupting injury. 2010 was arguably Andrew's greatest for the club (maybe in terms of service anyway) where he managed 16 games playing mainly in the back line. When he did slip up forward (e.g Sydney final) he managed to kick goals (5 for the season) 3 against Sydney.

It is well known that Andrew was thrown up as an option around trade week and that a few clubs were interested in attaining his skills. Skills such as his ability to run all day (completed a 22 beep test today, and I thought my 7 was impressive), his speed (he was flying when he crashed into (*Cant remember who the player was) to damage his collar bone last year), his leap (Enter numerous marks throughout his career), his versatility (proof in the fact that we cant work out where to play him, defender, midfielder, forward?) and his work ethic (how many injuries has he come back from, fitter, and ready to go...and he's how old?). Luckily (I feel) the Carlton Football Club were able to retain his talent with the promise to try to play him in his preferred position as a midfielder or medium lead up forward.

Whilst I am happy we have retained Andrew's services I feel if the match committee have decided to give Andrew a run this year where he wants, and he can stay fit, this really has to be his year. He needs to take that step you expect from your 100+ game players, to become more consistent, be a leader for young kids like Lucas, Robinson, Davies, Yarran etc to model themselves on. There is no doubting he will be working on some of his deficiencies, maybe decision making at times and his foot skills, whilst not terrible aren't always consistent but I really hope he can put it all together and become the superstar we all wanted him to be!

So here's to an AA, top 3 B&F, member of a final winning side, 25 game playin and 40+ goal kicking 2011, Walks! :thumbsu:

From Talking Carlton

bondiblue said:
From what I saw at training on the 6th of Jan he is in our best 22.

Not only is he super fit, but he is confident to take on players with his smarts.
He was a class above in the competitive handball drill, drawing players to him to free up a team mate...just brilliant.
I was meters away from him behind the goals in this drill, and honestly there was no space and time that I could see then he'd miraculously create it. This was also the case in the 4 against 5 kicking drill too. Tex was everywhere.

es I did see him fluff a lft foot 40m pass...badly...and he was filthy on himself, so I agree with BV that Tex should play within his limitations and he'll be right in 2011.

With the introduction of Duigan to the HB line in 2011, I really believe now that Tex will be used as a weapon in the midfield and forwardline.
He has pace to burn.

He trains like a leader and uses his voice really well.

I'm looking at Tex as a new recruit in 2011. Add him to Kreuzer, Duigan and Gibbs in the midfield as our new recruits for 2011.
With that, you can see why we expect a top 4 position and more importantly as a bonafide challenger to the Top 4 teams including the Maggies, because we are training better than we have in the last decade, and I have no doubt that the addition of Richardson and Brown to the coaching panel has already left their mark on the way we go about things in 2011.

So I haven't posted about my buddy for a while and wasn't at the intraclub so I've grabbed some snippets from around the traps.

629310-tex-11.jpg

Beauty :thumbsu:

630010-tex-10.jpg

Hahaha....ouch

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/blues-recruits-show-promise/story-e6frf9jf-1225996609649

Ratten confirmed that Andrew Walker will play almost exclusively as a leading forward this year, and showed some encouraging form with three goals and a soaring mark yesterday.

"It was a real cameo, a bit like the final in Sydney (last year)," he said of Walker. "He came in and had a big impact in small periods."

From what I have read of all posters they agree that he played well with some aggression (had a bit of a kiss and cuddle with Davies was it?)

Was pumped when I heard he had a good game. Might become Carltons younger, better Russel Robertson :eek: I know his cousin plays guitar in a bit of a solo act, could Tex follow the same path?

Let's hope his football provides him with a long and healthy career with the mighty Blues for the next 10 years. (Will accept 7)

I just really think this bloke might fly this year, could kick 30-40 which is all we need, adds versatility with Henderson and Waite in our forward line. Just seems like a healthier set up with these blokes and Betts and Jeffy running around their feet. Makes more sense to try and hit up Walker as a lead up forward then Betts like we did most times last year.

I agree, I like it structure wise. It gives us a legitimate third marking option with the smalls at their feet, Walker can obviously also be dangerous at ground level with his speed and elusiveness.

He certainly is dangerous in the forward 50 as he was when he first came back from injury. I would like him given time in the midfield so he could relieve guys like Judd, Gibbs, Simpson and Lucas who can all take a mark overhead. He is a valuable player when fit and sometimes we forget how much time it takes to get back into the swing of things after a period out of the game. He will have gained a lot of confidence in his body since last year which can only be a good thing.

Forward thinking sees Blues create new role for Walker

This was a game that did both, not only for Carlton of Walker but Walker of Carlton. Carlton saw what a player he could be, and Walker saw what Carlton could yet be for him.

Until that day Walker had been a prodigiously promising yet frustratingly unfulfilled talent. During the elimination final he moved forward, launching himself at marks and kicking three goals. He had found his home in the Carlton forward line.

Forward thinking sees Blues create new role for Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back