#10 - Matthew Jaensch

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Rookie pick 46 - Matthew Jaensch - Player Discussion

was always a bit of a knob at school and junior footy. reckon he was a port supporter as well

Was always pretty sure of himself as a junior (most people from Hahndorf have that issue :p) and his attitude didnt appear to change much until the end of last season. He put in a pretty solid year and a very good back end to it. Makes good decisions and has a superb kick on him. Good luck to the lad, glad to see weve given him a go.

Was always pretty sure of himself as a junior (most people from Hahndorf have that issue :p) and his attitude didnt appear to change much until the end of last season. He put in a pretty solid year and a very good back end to it. Makes good decisions and has a superb kick on him. Good luck to the lad, glad to see weve given him a go.

Bloody Germans:rolleyes:

I bet KingsCrow and all his mates from the Hahndorf Footy Club'll be celebrating tonight:D

Just an observation made over time :p

Hahndorf citizens have a reputation amongst fellow Hills dwellers of, lets say, not lacking in any confidence. Now this isnt the case with them all but it was with Jaenschy. Great player though and as ive mentioned im wrapped we're giving him a go, even only as a rookie. Plus of course it means he'll still be wearing double blue next season :D

I would love to be proved wrong, but I've had the sense watching him that there may not be too much more growth or upside with him. Great skills and nice pace, but I think there is an issue about assertion and imposing himself which hinders his consistency at SANFL level and would definitely make an AFL life difficult. When he gets a chance he generally nails it, but does he make enough of his own chances? Fingers crossed for the guy though, and no problems given him a shot, although I wish we had had a harder look at Wanganeen.

At only twenty years of age and having his breakthrough season this year he has plenty of upside!! He is quite strong and has great skills and is fairly quick.
I have seen him play on a few occasions and I really thought he would have been nabbed earlier in the draft!
Great pick crows!!!

Haven't seen much of the kid but liked what I saw. Looks a class above SANFL and seems to have a real competitive spirit.

Good pick.:thumbsu:

I would love to be proved wrong, but I've had the sense watching him that there may not be too much more growth or upside with him.

this was essentially the criticism of Brodie Martin as well, above average SANFL footballers but there is some perception out there that they won't improve beyond where they are.

I don't always buy that, with the right coach a lot of footballers considered somewhat ordinary turned out to have good careers and even won flags. This kid has that perception of being a bit wild because of one issue that hit the news, but I think thats mostly all is rubbish. He just needs to apply himself, he certainly has the tools. Probably more so than Martin tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly looks to have a nice turn of pace, which I think along with his quality kicking skills, might mean he could become that small forward us supporters have been crying out for since Matty Bode went down.

Very happy we've picked him up. He was excellent at Sturt this year.

That drinking thing when he was in the U18's put his career back two years. I'd heard some talk about him being drafted that year but as soon as the Possible Problem Player issue was flagged that was the end of that.

I've said on here before that you could do ok by drafting players who are overweight, unfit and/or with "exuberance of youth" discipline issues. Clubs get put off by that stuff and players with real talent slip through (ie Porplyzia). That's all stuff that you can change or they will grow out of. Lack of football ability though, that's there for life.

That tall kid Port is trying to teach how to kick? Choco can pour as many hours in as he likes, he will be a s**t kick for his entire career.

Very happy we've picked him up. He was excellent at Sturt this year.

That drinking thing when he was in the U18's put his career back two years. I'd heard some talk about him being drafted that year but as soon as the Possible Problem Player issue was flagged that was the end of that.

I've said on here before that you could do ok by drafting players who are overweight, unfit and/or with "exuberance of youth" discipline issues. Clubs get put off by that stuff and players with real talent slip through (ie Porplyzia). That's all stuff that you can change or they will grow out of. Lack of football ability though, that's there for life.

That tall kid Port is trying to teach how to kick? Choco can pour as many hours in as he likes, he will be a s**t kick for his entire career.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree, as long as the kid is willing to change and do the hard yards to actually get up to the level required, if he is, I'd be more than happy for us to ignore Beep test and 3km time trial, as this area is probably the easiest to train and whilst the kid may never match a van Berlo or Burton, they can probably make it up to a more than passible level.

The issue is I think that very few of these kids actually have the will power or desire to put in the hards yards and change habits. Porplyzia was a success story, but then I'm sure there's plenty of others who were massive failures, hence why clubs do tend to steer clear, especially in the main draft, as a rookie its not so much as an issue. In the main draft there seems to be too much pressure these days to make every post a winner, to perhaps go for those with a little question mark.

One of my mates played most of his junior footy with him at Sturt. All he has intially mentioned to me about Jaensch is that he is a good kick on both legs and is a bit arrogant. I'm beginning to sense a bit of a theme here:p

Nothing wrong with a bit of arrogance :p Actually, unless I'm thinking of Wright, didn't Rendell say that Jaensch was the best he'd seen in psychological testing? Sounds to me like they specifically go after it :p

After all, Sloane is no wilting lily either :D

Edit: Whoops, neither. It was Thompson :eek: So much for my credibility :D

I am really suprised Jaensch was picked up by Crows as he had attitude problems with a capital A and sorry guys the state u-18 thing was bad and not on its own .
He has always had talent , arrogance and severe attitude but obviously some effort was made last year to get back on track .
He has been given the opportunity now so up to him ,but Crows usually bypass these problem lads so must see a lot in him.

from what i know and heard about jaensch it was that he was arrogant in his teens and early years because he was such a step above every other player and was just naturally good at everything. One of those blokes destined for big things. In the past couple of years he has really screwed his head on right, just has a strong self belief and a strong will to succeed. He is an outgoing character and will always stand for wat he believes in which sometimes comes off arrogant. the u18s alcohol incident was stupid but i think he had good character to fight back from that and get drafted. Having to live with making such a stupid mistake to ruin your dream must have been hard to keep going and having to rock up to every training after that knowing that had he made the right choices he could have been anywhere. To turn that around i think is a credit to his character and oozes that never say die attitude.
As a player he is very flexible, can play down back on a small forward, through the middle or up forward. Has a massive kick and i wont be surprised if we see him in the NAB cup for some super goal action after what i saw in the finals last year easily clearing the fence at aami from 55 +. sturt always seemed to look to him for a handball or short pass if around that distance. No idea what role he will play for us since our forward line looks pretty set in the small forward department with porpas and knights. But I think he will make an impact at AFL level if given a chance, always cleaned up a scrappy piece of play in SANFL with his clean skills and decision making.

Well word is Porps will be in the middle a lot more than this year so if no one can hold down the spot he may get a chance. Looks an interesting prospect in any case.

definatly no attitude problem, the reason people saw him as arrogant is because he believes in himself so much. when it comes to doing hard work etc. no problems there. think he knew he had to change his off field behaviour to make afl and did so, so well done to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back