Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

Its like he is running in quicksand - There is no zip to his play.
I couldn't have put it better if I'd tried.

Is he still carrying an injury?

It doesn't look like the Zaka we know. At all. It's a pale, slow, ineffectual, soft imitation of it.

Pretty astonished by the negativity in this thread lately
Why, really?

He's playing so far below his potential right now that it's got to be a bit worrying. I know he's missing many first choice team mates but you could argue this is a situation where he should be lifting in their absence, as a senior player, which is what he now is. Instead he's close to invisible. Contrast him to how Stanton has lifted.

Unless he's still playing through an injury...what gives? He's 25, he should be in his prime now. Instead he's as ineffectual as, probably, ever.

Why, really?

He's playing so far below his potential right now that it's got to be a bit worrying. I know he's missing many first choice team mates but you could argue this is a situation where he should be lifting in their absence, as a senior player, which is what he now is. Instead he's close to invisible. Contrast him to how Stanton has lifted.

Unless he's still playing through an injury...what gives? He's 25, he should be in his prime now. Instead he's as ineffectual as, probably, ever.

Zaka was pretty good against Melbourne and Port. 22 disposals and 7 tackles in both. He was crook during the week and had a below par match against the dogs.

Underachieves constantly. Would love to see leaders give him the Gary Ablett speech and see him respond and reach his potential. My guess is Essendon players aren't very honest with each other compared to Hawks, Freo, Sydney.

Its like he is running in quicksand - There is no zip to his play.
I was going to post the same thing. There was a moment on Sunday where he had the ball on the opposition 50m with a paddock in front of him - the Zaka I remember would have seen that as an opportunity to gain some serious meters but he looked like he was running on a treadmill

has had ankle, torn posterior cruciate and medial ligament strain issues this year. Wouldn't be surprised his pace is lacking.

Last edited:
Played a lot of school footy with him and always thought he was a bit soft and didn't have what it took to become an elite AFL player.

I was a bit jealous and ate humble pie when he won his B&F.

He's kind of turning out the way I thought he'd be this year. One way running, no real impact on the contest.

I really hope he turns it around or we trade him for some value, we need more from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't he back in the leadership group? He shouldn't be.
I love him and he could be a very good footballer, but he may need a change of scenery.
I agree. I really want him to stay though, he's an Essendon person and very easy to like. But he really needs to pick up his game.

He's been an excellent player within those 7 years.
Not often enough, though, aside from 2011. We know how good he can be.

Admittedly he's had his decent share of injury problems- he's missed half of of 2009 and 2012 with injuries and at least a quarter of 2015 too.

Doesn't seem to enjoy playing anymore from the looks of it. Used to love those match winning goals and bursting from the pack in the middle to run on and kick a crucial goal.

Nowadays, he hardly breaks from a jog. If he does, it seems a bit half-hearted.

Doesn't seem to enjoy playing anymore from the looks of it. Used to love those match winning goals and bursting from the pack in the middle to run on and kick a crucial goal.

Nowadays, he hardly breaks from a jog. If he does, it seems a bit half-hearted.

A lot of players playing half hearted at present meaning it's not the time to judge until the WADA stuff is over. And yes Zaka hasn't been charged but his team has had 3 seasons ruined by this so it still affects him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back