Player Watch #11: Jake Batchelor - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum Moore coming on ended his career. Played some very good games in the vfl for us and I believe he should have been our captain next year rather than Morris. Offers much more steadiness in the back half and is not a panic merchant.
Maybe he’s hoping that a minnow club will pick him up which would be a bonus for him.

Callum Moore coming on ended his career. Played some very good games in the vfl for us and I believe he should have been our captain next year rather than Morris. Offers much more steadiness in the back half and is not a panic merchant.
Maybe he’s hoping that a minnow club will pick him up which would be a bonus for him.

Much more to being a captain than just your on field stuff. Morris is a good leader.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great read, really wish him the very best and maybe he'll get a lifeline back into the AFL.

Looked like such a player early on - think the article touched on it with this bit.

You bring a confident and free 18-year-old into the AFL system who is ready to take his career by the scruff of the neck, and unless you have AND utilise the correct resources around you, in the blink of an eye, your on-field personality can go.

He looked a ripping prospect in his first season. Had that run and dash from half back and that beautiful raking kick. I remember thinking he might have been a superior Tivendale or something. That was probably him playing his natural personality as he says.

Then I think we tried to beef him up into a sort of key defender and remove elements of his rebound instincts. I think from there it was downhill. Losing his natural game style, his mobility, negating any attacking instincts and trying to become something else probably hurt his career. That being said, so happy to hear he discovered his love of coaching. Playing and being a defensive coach sounds like a great role for him combining both loves. Hopefully he finds his calling.

I know this is a Batchelor thread but the comparison to the Lennon's comments are pretty stark.

I had Batchelors papers stamped 2 or 3 years ago as he just wasn't good enough for the AFL, which was a shame because he was clearly above the VFL standard too. Certainly reliable as a depth player though and hope he does great things as a coach.

Great read, really wish him the very best and maybe he'll get a lifeline back into the AFL.

Looked like such a player early on - think the article touched on it with this bit.

He looked a ripping prospect in his first season. Had that run and dash from half back and that beautiful raking kick. I remember thinking he might have been a superior Tivendale or something. That was probably him playing his natural personality as he says.

Then I think we tried to beef him up into a sort of key defender and remove elements of his rebound instincts. I think from there it was downhill. Losing his natural game style, his mobility, negating any attacking instincts and trying to become something else probably hurt his career. That being said, so happy to hear he discovered his love of coaching. Playing and being a defensive coach sounds like a great role for him combining both loves. Hopefully he finds his calling.
I thought the same thing...then it all changed!

I still remember Jake’s game v Swans in the final round a few years ago - when we got up to make the 8.
Rance was huge that game but Batchelor was also a rock in defence.

Good Luck Jackey!
100% agree, is the type of bloke I wish made it. Always was a fan.
Good luck to him, I wish him all the best.

I know this is a Batchelor thread but the comparison to the Lennon's comments are pretty stark.

I had Batchelors papers stamped 2 or 3 years ago as he just wasn't good enough for the AFL, which was a shame because he was clearly above the VFL standard too. Certainly reliable as a depth player though and hope he does great things as a coach.
Nailed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back