Delisted 12. Wylie Buzza (2016-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the likelihood of a key forward drafted at pick 69 in a weak draft of making the grade is low, especially when you consider how many more highly rated key position prospects before him have failed. I don't think questioning a new draftee's ability constitutes "bagging them" at all, no.
Likelihood is low, statistically speaking, but now the kid has his chance on the track and we will see what happens.

This taken from Quigley's Phantom Draft:

46. Wylie Buzza

Ht – 198 Wt – 97

When Buzza was not nominated by the Lions as one of the Academy players they were interested in taking, most pundits would have taken him off their mock lists. Personally I think the Lions got it wrong much like the professionals did for several years with the guy that Buzza is most often compared to – Ben Brown. I see Buzza as exactly the type of second ruck that teams should be looking for. He is a second ruck who can play most of his time as a key position and actually be useful in that role and when called on to ruck he can ruck well with a physical style that is going to really take it out of his opponent.

Buzza played most of the year as a key forward and did pretty well. He leads hard at the ball. He commits and goes hard. He is consistent and his teammates are going to know where he is going to lead. It is not complicated but he is big and athletic and he creates chances. He is not the best judge of the ball in the air and he can have days where he runs under the ball a fair but overall he is decent and gets to the fall of the ball pretty well. Probably Buzza’s biggest issue as a forward is his hands. He has hard hands and does not come down with the number of marks he probably should. With that said he does mark a fair few each game and even when he doesn’t mark he controls the spillage and his small forwards know where to be to collect.

As mentioned Buzza leads strongly and defenders know that they are going to get run through if they stand in front of him. Buzza is a big body and he loves to throw it around. He will body spoil any defenders who are in better position than he is on a mark. Generally though Buzza gets good separation on his leads and he seems to have the pace to maintain the gap. He ran a 3.07 at the State Combine which is pretty decent for a ruck/kp. Buzza has a pretty good turning circle as well for a big guy and can turn his opponent around if he needs to.

Another big reason I like Buzza is the defensive pressure he puts on both up forward and in the ruck. He attacks the ball carrier at 100 mph and he will thump them hard if he gets his hands on them. He is an ex rugby league player and Buzza knows how to make his tackles felt. He will also run through opponents to get to the ball carrier. He and Weller formed a great defensive duo for Qld at the Champs and caused a lot of turnovers from both actual and perceived pressure. They worked in tandem well and defenders got very nervous when they were in the area.

Buzza is a pretty good field kick and will hit his targets. When he gets a set shot the comparisons to Brown become hugely evident. He has the Sideshow Bob hair like Brown and also the very deliberate set shot technique. It works for Buzza though and he puts through a lot more than he misses.

The superficial aspects aside the players that Buzza most reminds me of are Shane Mumford and Barry Hall. He has the same kind of bash and crash game that those two have and had. That sort of physicality creates opportunities for his teammates. In the ruck I would consider Buzza close to the best around the ground ruck available this year. At the centre bounce he is nothing to write home about but get to an around the ground ruck contest where he can use his body and strength and suddenly he dominates. His body work in the ruck is excellent and he gets a lot of free taps. He controls his taps well and his taps to advantage would be very high percentage wise. It is worth mentioning that Buzza in the State Screening jumped the equal of the 4th absolute vertical leap at the Combine. So he can get up there.

When the ball hits the ground, Buzza recovers very quickly and will run through players to get to the ball. Buzza did not get that much of a chance to play in the ruck either for Qld or for his NEAFL side with both sides having well regarded ruck options. It is worth noting that one of the few games in the NEAFL when he got to play ruck he ended up with the Rising Star nomination.

Buzza is not going to score big bags of goals but I think he is good for a couple of game and another couple coming from his work. He can then go into the middle and give quality back up ruck minutes. For me that gets him picked for my team.

46. Wylie Buzza

Ht – 198 Wt – 97

When Buzza was not nominated by the Lions as one of the Academy players they were interested in taking, most pundits would have taken him off their mock lists. Personally I think the Lions got it wrong much like the professionals did for several years with the guy that Buzza is most often compared to – Ben Brown. I see Buzza as exactly the type of second ruck that teams should be looking for. He is a second ruck who can play most of his time as a key position and actually be useful in that role and when called on to ruck he can ruck well with a physical style that is going to really take it out of his opponent.

Buzza played most of the year as a key forward and did pretty well. He leads hard at the ball. He commits and goes hard. He is consistent and his teammates are going to know where he is going to lead. It is not complicated but he is big and athletic and he creates chances. He is not the best judge of the ball in the air and he can have days where he runs under the ball a fair but overall he is decent and gets to the fall of the ball pretty well. Probably Buzza’s biggest issue as a forward is his hands. He has hard hands and does not come down with the number of marks he probably should. With that said he does mark a fair few each game and even when he doesn’t mark he controls the spillage and his small forwards know where to be to collect.

As mentioned Buzza leads strongly and defenders know that they are going to get run through if they stand in front of him. Buzza is a big body and he loves to throw it around. He will body spoil any defenders who are in better position than he is on a mark. Generally though Buzza gets good separation on his leads and he seems to have the pace to maintain the gap. He ran a 3.07 at the State Combine which is pretty decent for a ruck/kp. Buzza has a pretty good turning circle as well for a big guy and can turn his opponent around if he needs to.

Another big reason I like Buzza is the defensive pressure he puts on both up forward and in the ruck. He attacks the ball carrier at 100 mph and he will thump them hard if he gets his hands on them. He is an ex rugby league player and Buzza knows how to make his tackles felt. He will also run through opponents to get to the ball carrier. He and Weller formed a great defensive duo for Qld at the Champs and caused a lot of turnovers from both actual and perceived pressure. They worked in tandem well and defenders got very nervous when they were in the area.

Buzza is a pretty good field kick and will hit his targets. When he gets a set shot the comparisons to Brown become hugely evident. He has the Sideshow Bob hair like Brown and also the very deliberate set shot technique. It works for Buzza though and he puts through a lot more than he misses.

The superficial aspects aside the players that Buzza most reminds me of are Shane Mumford and Barry Hall. He has the same kind of bash and crash game that those two have and had. That sort of physicality creates opportunities for his teammates. In the ruck I would consider Buzza close to the best around the ground ruck available this year. At the centre bounce he is nothing to write home about but get to an around the ground ruck contest where he can use his body and strength and suddenly he dominates. His body work in the ruck is excellent and he gets a lot of free taps. He controls his taps well and his taps to advantage would be very high percentage wise. It is worth mentioning that Buzza in the State Screening jumped the equal of the 4th absolute vertical leap at the Combine. So he can get up there.

When the ball hits the ground, Buzza recovers very quickly and will run through players to get to the ball. Buzza did not get that much of a chance to play in the ruck either for Qld or for his NEAFL side with both sides having well regarded ruck options. It is worth noting that one of the few games in the NEAFL when he got to play ruck he ended up with the Rising Star nomination.

Buzza is not going to score big bags of goals but I think he is good for a couple of game and another couple coming from his work. He can then go into the middle and give quality back up ruck minutes. For me that gets him picked for my team.
Thanks GHS. Let's hope he doesn't run though his own teammates too much when he's on a "see ball, get ball" mission!

Likened to Ben Brown from North on a follicular level....

Josh Walker cult hero replacement....

Go Catters
Thinking the same DB about Ben Brown from the footage. Straggling player with great skills. Hope he's good on the ground. Better kick at goal than most of our big rucks. Real potential and outstanding brand. Would love to hear Rexy calling him. No doubt he'd get the buzzsaw. Look forward to having a look at him in our colours.

and his small forwards know where to be to collect.
Problem is we don't have any of them...Disappointed we didn't get a small forward in the draft but obviously hope the kids we did get can make an impact at some point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tumblr_ni0m0q8gVi1s2wio8o1_500.gif
Exactly Jub! The first thing I thought ;) :thumbsu: :rainbow:

No one seems to acknowledge his ruck ability?

46. Wylie Buzza

Ht – 198 Wt – 97

Also like the comparison to Barry Hall + Mumford.

Really like the sound of him + am hoping he does spend time rucking. Need to remember he's only 19 + these boys take time to develop.

wylie-840x450.jpg

"All the attributes are there for Wylie Buzza. He’s big, he’s strong, he’s athletic, and he has good hands.

On Saturday, it all came together for ‘Buzz.’ After a best on ground performance, he has earned the round 6 QAFL Rising Star nod.

Playing mostly in the ruck, he imposed himself on the contest all day, throwing his weight around in the middle, but then getting on his bike and clunking a few important marks around the ground.

“It was the first time all year that I put in a good four quarter performance, I’m constantly getting hammered about my marking so it was good to finally take a few grabs,” he said."
http://www.aflq.com.au/round-6-qafl-rising-star-nominee-wylie-buzza/

"Wylie has only played football for the past thee years, mainly as a forward but also little in the ruck," Cats recruiting boss Stephen Wells said.

AFL.com.au
describes Buzza as follows:

“The Queensland key forward is strongly built and likes to throw his weight around both in attack and when in the ruck."
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-11-24/get-to-know-wylie-buzza

So stoked to see Wylie get a chance, he's a quality kid. I was at his first game when he played U16's for Lockyer Valley, I was on the phone to the local AFLQ talent guys before half time, he was something special. I've never come across a kid who works as hard as him, he'll bust his arse to win the respect of the playing group, coaches and fans. His father, Gordon, was a pro boxer and he has instilled that toughness into Wiley, he can throw them too. You won't meet a nicer young bloke, typical country kid who'll do anything to help those around him. I would have loved him at the Lions but as far as his on and off field development goes, I don't think he could have landed at a better club. Best of luck Cats, you've got a good one here.:thumbsu:

Last edited:
I think the likelihood of a key forward drafted at pick 69 in a weak draft of making the grade is low, especially when you consider how many more highly rated key position prospects before him have failed. I don't think questioning a new draftee's ability constitutes "bagging them" at all, no.

True, but in a pile of rocks you sometimes find a diamond.

And while you may well be right in the long run, I didn't see the need for you to rain on his parade the moment he was selected.

Late picks can be late picks for multiple reasons. Blicav wasn't a top ten pick because he was not even playing the game at 18. Wylie is late to the game, had all his limbs, full head of hair, and from the above posts a work ethic with mongrel.

No reason he can't be the greatest player to have ever played the game. On him to want it, on us to develop it.

I like these code swap success stories. Means my son is a chance. His current sport is Nintendo, should help him make good decision in traffic when he takes up footy. Just need to clean up his ball drop before his balls...well you know.

So stoked to see Wylie get a chance, he's a quality kid. I was at his first game when he played U16's for Lockyer Valley, I was on the phone to the local AFLQ talent guys before half time, he was something special. I've never come across a kid who works as hard as him, he'll bust his arse to win the respect of the playing group, coaches and fans. His father, Gordon, was a pro boxer and he has instilled that toughness into Wiley, he can throw them too. You won't meet a nicer young bloke, typical country kid who'll do anything to help those around him. I would have loved him at the Lions but as far as his on and off field development goes, I don't think he could have landed at a better club. Best of luck Cats, you've got a good one here.:thumbsu:
Reardo if you want to say such good things you are welcome any time :D

Reardo if you want to say such good things you are welcome any time :D
You'll always hold a special place in my heart Willo_.:hearts:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back