Retired #17: Adam Cooney - Announces retirement and has cleaned out locker

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a lot of love for him but he has been unlucky. Starts the year well, gets injured, the club gets in the clear and then gets a bomb dropped on them, comes back and the whole side is going down hill by then, form is a little patchy, gets injured again and then come back when the side is in free fall big time.
Yes his form some weeks was average but he has also shown in parts he could still have a lot to offer if we can pull ourselves out of the mire again. He is not a bloke than can carry a side, his last 4 or so years at the Dogs show that and so far with us he has not had much chance to show he can be a class finisher with pace which is what we need. hard to show anything in our current side.
Would be a huge downer to have a fresh start only to end up with half your side struggle with on going issues and not be 100% focused.

Not a lot of love for him but he has been unlucky. Starts the year well, gets injured, the club gets in the clear and then gets a bomb dropped on them, comes back and the whole side is going down hill by then, form is a little patchy, gets injured again and then come back when the side is in free fall big time.
Yes his form some weeks was average but he has also shown in parts he could still have a lot to offer if we can pull ourselves out of the mire again. He is not a bloke than can carry a side, his last 4 or so years at the Dogs show that and so far with us he has not had much chance to show he can be a class finisher with pace which is what we need. hard to show anything in our current side.
Would be a huge downer to have a fresh start only to end up with half your side struggle with on going issues and not be 100% focused.

Well said.

We didn't get him to stop us from being in the bottom 4. We got him to take us from being a top 8 team to a top 4 team. A bloke his age with his injury history was never going to be a franchise player.

He came into the club injury riddled, I don't know what the club expected..

2013 19 games and 2014 18 games hardly says injury riddled. The previous knock was chronic knee injury, there has been no sign of that.

I never thought anything would top the recruiting of the Shotgun but this has done it.

This is the worst trade our club has ever made.

Respect to Adam, was a super player and seems like a likeable, funny bloke… but boy oh boy… did we **** the puppy on this one.

Worst thing is it was obvious at the time.

Much much worse :rolleyes:

Williams played 4 games and could not train as his knee was totally stuffed.

To say it was the worst trade ever is, well , total crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No sign of it!?

He can't run!

Have you watched him play?

No, i went to no games , watched nothing on TV and just read the stats :rolleyes:

He is having ankle surgery, bit of a pointer to why he can not run lately. He was running fine early in the year. Watch the Sydney game and tell he he could not run.
He has not had any issues with his knee and i will say again 18 and 19 games two seasons in a row is not injury prone !!

As I said, it's well known he is injury riddled
What part of 18 and 19 games two seasons in a row did you not understand?
This ankle injury gets him off the hook big time. With hind sight we wouldn't take him given his recruitment was all about top four this year, but he may yet be of use if we are able to turn a corner after WADA. With the experience going out of the side at the end of this season i think he will actually be an asset next season if he has a good run at it.

What part of 18 and 19 games two seasons in a row did you not understand?
This ankle injury gets him off the hook big time. With hind sight we wouldn't take him given his recruitment was all about top four this year, but he may yet be of use if we are able to turn a corner after WADA. With the experience going out of the side at the end of this season i think he will actually be an asset next season if he has a good run at it.

Players play through injury. Hes injury riddled and has been for the latter part of his career. The question marks over him being picked up was injured and guess what.... he's been injured multiple times. Not surprised

Players play through injury. Hes injury riddled and has been for the latter part of his career. The question marks over him being picked up was injured and guess what.... he's been injured multiple times. Not surprised
And yet if he had had a year this year like he had in 2014 or 2013 then he would have been a really useful addition to the side, injuries or no. What a year the club has had!

And yet if he had had a year this year like he had in 2014 or 2013 then he would have been a really useful addition to the side, injuries or no. What a year the club has had!

I don't think he warranted pick 37. Horrible trade. Especially with the slide we are currently on. Hindsites a beautiful thing though.

And I don't think he was that good in 13' or 14', actually. Especially when we lost draft picks, all the more reason to actually use the ones at our disposal.

If his knee is fine what other explanation is there for his massive drop in output since his original knee injury? Can't think of any other reason. He may not have to miss games because of it but it's pretty clear it's something he has to manage and that impacts his performance.

I think that give away with Cooney is that he did not play midfield minutes at the start of the season.

We were only ever using him as a half forward (despite him having completed a preseason). He was a quality 28 year old midfielder we recruited to play as a half forward. It says more about his body that limping through 2014 does.

No WADA appeal and a good run with team injuries would have meant Cooney was a great recruitment. As it is not so much... But we will have to see how the team goes post WADA to say the final word.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back