La Liga

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, Eibar :eek:
Only been following Real Madrid-Barca battle this season, but I just saw where Eibar is on the table.
Saw their story in the offseason and thought they'd go straight down, hopefully they fight on and get a European spot. Would be an amazing story!

Can we be done with this Messi vs. Ronaldo nonsense. Who do we think will round out the top 4? Will be Sevilla or Valencia.

yep valencia for me aswell, sevilla really hurt themselves losing the last 2 games.

Still baffled as to why people think CR is better than messi. Only thing comparable these days is their goals exploits but even then Messi still edges it. A walking messi was still scoring 50+ goals a year ffs, will most likely get another 50+ goals this year which will make it 6 years in a row. Only time i thought CR was better than messi was last year and start of 2014/15 season... and obviously his 07/08

Also i disagree that people prefer messi cause he didnt play for utd/RM. If you go on man utd forum, alot of people over there prefer messi over CR

Google "Messi is impossible";

A bloke has done an in depth analysis of all the stats over 4.... seasons pass completion, chance creation, shot conversion etc etc etc to show how Messi is the most efficient and therefore best player on earth.

Indeed in his 6 years at Madrid Ronaldo has averaged about 8.35 in whoscored's statistically neutral la Liga player rankings. Messi has averaged just over 8.7 in the same competition against the same opposition over those 6 seasons.

We all have subjective preferences but objectively it is impossible to escape the conclusion that Messi is technically the best player.

Last edited:
So apart from what now just seems like just a short burst of form at the end of the 2014 La Liga calendar year, why did Ronaldo win the Ballon d'or? :$

Real Madrid won the CL. Barcelona won nothing.

Ronaldo, a great player, was fit and firing and on song and deserved it. messi was hampered by hamstring troubles and relatively ordinary form by his stellar standards.

Over the past 7 seasons Messi, the younger man, has won 4 to Ronaldo's 3.

As I said google that "Messi is impossible" article if you want a serious comparative analysis unaffected by subjective preference.

Indeed the whoscored algorithm designed as it is to assess performance and regarded by FIFA and others as the best efficiency assessment has Messi clearly ahead in every one of the past 6 seasons. In truth there really is no argument. We may prefer Ronaldo ( many do ) but we may not argue sensibly that he is better than Messi. Apart from in the air, where Ronaldo is superb, Messi is measurably ahead on almost every stat assessing the technical ability to get the ball to do what we want it to. Put simply Messi is measurably and by a distance the better player with ball at feet.....chance conversion, pass completion, dribble completion, key pass completion, chances created, assisted goals etc etc.....all clearly show the same story.

Last edited:
Real Madrid won the CL. Barcelona won nothing.

Ronaldo, a great player, was fit and firing and on song and deserved it. messi was hampered by hamstring troubles and relatively ordinary form by his stellar standards.

Over the past 7 seasons Messi, the younger man, has won 4 to Ronaldo's 3.

As I said google that "Messi is impossible" article if you want a serious comparative analysis unaffected by subjective preference.

Indeed the whoscored algorithm designed as it is to assess performance and regarded by FIFA and others as the best efficiency assessment has Messi clearly ahead in every one of the past 6 seasons. In truth there really is no argument. We may prefer Ronaldo ( many do ) but we may not argue sensibly that he is better than Messi. Apart from in the air, where Ronaldo is superb, Messi is measurably ahead on almost every stat assessing the technical ability to get the ball to do what we want it to. Put simply Messi is measurably and by a distance the better player with ball at feet.....chance conversion, pass completion, dribble completion, key pass completion, chances created, assisted goals etc etc.....all clearly show the same story.

I have read that article. Also team achievements don't prove anything. In retrospect Ronaldo had a hot streak round voting time and I see that as the reason for his win.

I have read that article. Also team achievements don't prove anything. In retrospect Ronaldo had a hot streak round voting time and I see that as the reason for his win.
Lucky we've got your input, maybe we should disregard all the coaches and captains who voted him the best with more than double the % of 2nd and 3rd combined.

Messi has still never won it without Xavi or Iniesta on the podium with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of those people who looks for trivia that they can draw their preferred conclusions from.
So you are dismissing it as coincidence that Messi can't win without them? Its gonna haunt Messi until he wins Balon or titles without Xavi and iniesta like Ronaldo has at different clubs.

So you are dismissing it as coincidence that Messi can't win without them?

I'm dismissing it as your failed premise. Hasn't won without them is not the same as cannot win without them. Hasn't won without them is a coincidence, particularly as no causality has been brought forward.

He had a better season last year than Messi. He also had many hot streaks.

FYI. This is the La Liga thread. We've already had a Ballon D'or ans Messi vs Ronaldo thread.

I'm dismissing it as your failed premise. Hasn't won without them is not the same as cannot win without them. Hasn't won without them is a coincidence, particularly as no causality has been brought forward.

Good point and indeed as you know Xavi has now become in effect a squad player playing much fewer mins on pitch......yet Messi, now back to full fitness a approaching real form, continues to outperform everyone on a whole host of stats measuring technical ability.

As for the Ballon d'or or similar awards. Sometimes ( often in fact ) players of slightly lesser ability than the very best will perform above trend, as Ronaldo did last year, while the best perform slightly below trend, as Messi did. This is seen across all sports. There were times in the '90s when Michael Jordan was overlooked for MVP for example. This coincidence correctly saw Ronaldo gain the award ahead of his measurably and demonstrably more talented but undeniably temporarily lesser performing rival.

As I said above a whole host of stats over several years indicates the answer to the who is best argument. Its the guy with the most goals, the most assists, the most completed passes and dribbles ( Messi is in a different league to Ronaldo in the basic skill of dribbling ), the better goals per shot ratio, the most key passes etc etc. Its Messi.

Last edited:
lol how the hell was that an offside on messi, robbed of an goal.

messi/neymar partnership without a doubt best in the world atm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back