Player Watch #17 James Jordon

Remove this Banner Ad

James Jordan.jpg

Player Profile:

At just 22 James Jordon can call himself a premiership player after appearing in the 2021 Grand Final for Melbourne as the medical substitute, the same year he made his debut for the Dees. The midfielder was initially taken as pick 33 in the 2018 draft and joined the Sydney Swans on the opening day of the 2023 AFL Free Agency Period. He played just 18 games in 2023 with the hopes to improve and grow in the red and white.

James Jordn
Born: 20 December 2000
Draft: 2018
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers >> Melbourne

Last edited:

First game, thought he was serviceable and a reasonable pickup + upgrade on what's Stephens had generally produced (Stephens did have a few good games).

Second game, reckon he will finish top 10 BnF and be one of our more consistent contributors.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

He hasn't played a proper game for us yet, so not sure we can say he's better than Stephens. However all signs point to him really knowing how to play that wing role, as he just found space and demanded the ball in ways that Stephens never did.

My hope is that it translates to the proper games, and also that he can be more effective with the ball going forward.

He hasn't played a proper game for us yet, so not sure we can say he's better than Stephens. However all signs point to him really knowing how to play that wing role, as he just found space and demanded the ball in ways that Stephens never did.

My hope is that it translates to the proper games, and also that he can be more effective with the ball going forward.

That hope applies to the entire midfield.

Alright JJ, you've cemented a spot in the season opener.

Now put the voodoo dolls away.

Stephens best game in both preseason and actual season weren't as good as JJ was last night. I think we can call it.

Outside a good kick or two in a match Stephens has nothing on JJ. Huge upgrade

Stephens best game in both preseason and actual season weren't as good as JJ was last night. I think we can call it.

Outside a good kick or two in a match Stephens has nothing on JJ. Huge upgrade
I always felt a bit sorry for Stephens and wanted him to do well, however I agree that at this stage it is chalk and cheese. Still, Stephens may head in a different trajectory at Norf and become a very good player, in which case it would be win/win for both clubs.

I always felt a bit sorry for Stephens and wanted him to do well, however I agree that at this stage it is chalk and cheese. Still, Stephens may head in a different trajectory at Norf and become a very good player, in which case it would be win/win for both clubs.
Yeah, I have a huge soft spot for Stephens.

I went to the North board, they felt he offered a lot which they don't have. Width and run. Truly hope he does well but I was frustrated by him at the Swans.

JJ on the other hand, I'm starting to get very excited about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stevo had 25 possies and was seen as one of Norf’s best last week.

Am still getting my head around the idea Norf can actually have a best players list. As opposed to least embarrassing.

Stevo had 25 possies and was seen as one of Norf’s best last week.

Am still getting my head around the idea Norf can actually have a best players list. As opposed to least embarrassing.
IMG_0727.gif

Interesting player.

I didn’t know a lot about J Jo - so I looked back at his draft profile.

He was the ultimate draft bolter. Didn’t appear in phantom drafts, was a fringe player at Oakleigh, but had a really good back end of his draft year at schools level.

Nonetheless, had the Swans drafted him, the REACH!!!! howls would have been heard in central Mozambique.

But we do like those who improve rapidly in their draft year & perhaps the Swans would have drafted him if Melb didn’t.

Interesting player.

I didn’t know a lot about J Jo - so I looked back at his draft profile.

He was the ultimate draft bolter. Didn’t appear in phantom drafts, was a fringe player at Oakleigh, but had a really good back end of his draft year at schools level.

Nonetheless, had the Swans drafted him, the REACH!!!! howls would have been heard in central Mozambique.

But we do like those who improve rapidly in their draft year & perhaps the Swans would have drafted him if Melb didn’t.
I mean, we ended up using that pick on a kid with arguably an even less remarkable juniors CV than Jordon in Justin McInerney, who initially wasn't even picked in his school team.

There's a very good chance we were weighing up the two of them as they were similar players - both outside players, both good runners, both a chance to still be there at that next pick (pick 44.)

We ended up making the decision - and I'm glad we made the one that we did - and six years later have ended up with both of them anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back