Player Watch #18: Jake Melksham – back for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't have anything within arms reach that can thrown when watching this guy. Most frustrating player I've ever seen play for Essendon

He is like the little girl with the curl. When he was good he was very very good, but when he was bad he was horrid.

Don't have anything within arms reach that can thrown when watching this guy. Most frustrating player I've ever seen play for Essendon

He is like the little girl with the curl. When he was good he was very very good, but when he was bad he was horrid.
Well now it sounds like he'll fit right in

Jake has been copping a lot of criticism it seems by supporters of both sides. I think a fair bit of it is unwarranted. Thought I'd give you my opinion of him as a player. Take from it what you will.

Positives
- Jake is a natural goalkicker. He scored quite a few valuable goals from all sorts of positions in open play. Having two goals in our list of best ten goals for the year is testament to that.
- He is quite a good kick overall. I honestly think he was one of our best kicks into the forward 50. Hogan will love to have him delivering to him.
- He is passionate. I think Melksham really wanted to stay at the Bombers but the deal you guys put to him was too much for him to turn down. Melksham often gets fiery on the field in support of his team mates or himself (while usually not giving away stupid frees). I think this is a good trait to have as it shows that he really wants to win. That desire is underrated sometimes.
- He can do a defensive job. With our number one tagger (Hocking) out for the majority of this year, Jake stepped into that role and performed quite well. I think he could be a decent tagger (although I think it's wasting him a little) or this defensive practice could improve his overall game.
- He has the capacity for absolute A-grade games. If any of you are bored over the off-season, go watch the replay of Essendon v Geelong 2011. He was exceptional and kicked the match-winner.

Negatives
- Has the occasional brainfade (kick to no-one, holding on to it too long). This is true of a lot of players though and experience will help with this.
- Lacks the consistency required to be really top class.

I honestly think you've done a very good trade here. I would always take the proven player over a draft pick in the 20s. You have a lot to work with and I hope Jake does well for you.

Melksham's had 6 years to develop it and hasn't taken the next step. The dark cloud of ASADA is no excuse.

And it's a dark cloud that could very well rain a 2 year ban on us. You sure as hell don't get that from the draft.
Sorry to intrude, but it is definitely an excuse. I'm not saying that he would be an amazing player if we weren't affected by the saga, but we have no idea how much it affected his development.

I can't stand this flog. To say I'm shattered with this trade is an understatement.

WHO IS IN CHARGE DOWN AT DEMONLAND? Sheesh.

Code:
https://youtu.be/CGwbrFtrh44?t=18m38s

Not sure how else I can link the video to play at 18:38. Just copy and paste the link in your browser.

Just after he gives away a 50 he gives away another free acting like a campaigner. Seeing him in the red and blue will not be pretty.

Jake has been copping a lot of criticism it seems by supporters of both sides. I think a fair bit of it is unwarranted. Thought I'd give you my opinion of him as a player. Take from it what you will.

Positives
- Jake is a natural goalkicker. He scored quite a few valuable goals from all sorts of positions in open play. Having two goals in our list of best ten goals for the year is testament to that.
- He is quite a good kick overall. I honestly think he was one of our best kicks into the forward 50. Hogan will love to have him delivering to him.
- He is passionate. I think Melksham really wanted to stay at the Bombers but the deal you guys put to him was too much for him to turn down. Melksham often gets fiery on the field in support of his team mates or himself (while usually not giving away stupid frees). I think this is a good trait to have as it shows that he really wants to win. That desire is underrated sometimes.
- He can do a defensive job. With our number one tagger (Hocking) out for the majority of this year, Jake stepped into that role and performed quite well. I think he could be a decent tagger (although I think it's wasting him a little) or this defensive practice could improve his overall game.
- He has the capacity for absolute A-grade games. If any of you are bored over the off-season, go watch the replay of Essendon v Geelong 2011. He was exceptional and kicked the match-winner.

Negatives
- Has the occasional brainfade (kick to no-one, holding on to it too long). This is true of a lot of players though and experience will help with this.
- Lacks the consistency required to be really top class.

I honestly think you've done a very good trade here. I would always take the proven player over a draft pick in the 20s. You have a lot to work with and I hope Jake does well for you.
What a crock of s**t! Mealy mouth pandering for likes. Vomit inducing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only positive he shows more ticker than half MFC list.

Negatives he butchers his disposal. Gives away undisciplined free kicks that cost the team.

Only time he played good footy was in 2013 when he was pumped to the eyeballs full of PEDS. Never before or after this.

All the best to Jake the Melbourne hierarchy paying him $400,000 a year for not been able to do his job of playing football. He will fit in well with the other spuds on the list. The kicker is signing him up right before the WADA decision been announced.

Negatives he butchers his disposal. Gives away undisciplined free kicks that cost the team.

Only time he played good footy was in 2013 when he was pumped to the eyeballs full of PEDS. Never before or after this.

All the best to Jake the Melbourne hierarchy paying him $400,000 a year for not been able to do his job of playing football. He will fit in well with the other spuds on the list. The kicker is signing him up right before the WADA decision been announced.

Jake?....Is that you?

Jake?....Is that you?

MUZ8BKi.jpg

Thanks loop. this place is literally swarming with negativity,
Its win win. The highlight reel they are showing on MFC.com shows how good he can be, most Ox like but smaller, He'll get a year out of Roos which will be a bonus and away from Bombers fresh start and all that, but this trade could be anything, considering also that he was a targeted draft - its a positive change all round just imo.

I absolutely hated him at Essendon and didn't rate him either, but I will give him a chance. pick 25 is overs but our next pick would have been unders and I feel draft picks in this range are slightly overrated anyway so not too worried about that. It's the WADA situation that worries me. Nobody (including Goodwin) knows what kind of penalty these guys could get. If he's hit with 2 years then we're going to look very silly. It's also slightly hypocritical but now that Melksham is with us and Hird/Little gone I kinda hope they get off!!!

I hope they get hit hard even though it'll mean we're shown up for incompetent trading.

Last edited:
Bomber Thompson really didn't rate this bloke, but Goodwin and Hird did.

Supporters a bit the same, I was in agreeance with Bomber.
Has moments in games where you sit and think WTF, also does the odd awesome thing like kick a 60m goal.
His best is excellent, BUT only delivers it 3 time a season.

anyway thanks for taking him and I honestly hope he smashes it for you guys like Vince.

Thanks loop. this place is literally swarming with negativity,
Its win win. The highlight reel they are showing on MFC.com shows how good he can be, most Ox like but smaller, He'll get a year out of Roos which will be a bonus and away from Bombers fresh start and all that, but this trade could be anything, considering also that he was a targeted draft - its a positive change all round just imo.

Get your hand off it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back