1991 Revisited

Remove this Banner Ad

GoPies1

Debutant
Sep 7, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seriously- late 80’s thru to winning the 1990 flag we were great.
Then 1991 we started of like witches hats, flew home and just missed out on a finals spot.
It’s happening again!
Basic errors everywhere and zero spark.

From a distance by Bette Midler made the top 10 in 1991. Beautiful song.
And Daics kicked 13 against the BB bears at Cararra.

How the f*** do you crazy basterds remember these facts.
I can't remember what I had for dinner last night let alone the first 11 rounds on 1991.

And don't ruin it by saying I googled it.
That would be a downer.
I remember it because Essendon mocked us about it on their banner, we ended up beating them by a kick to break the drought

I remember it because Essendon mocked us about it on their banner, we ended up beating them by a kick to break the drought
Speaking of banners.
The greatest banner I saw back in the day was a game I went to against Richmond. We had just poached Cloke and Raines from them.
The banner read "Just a Tigers luck, caught in the Woods without a Cloke and it Raines"

And would you believe it. It actually did rain that day.

Such a strange season. 2 annihilations of opposition by over 100 points mixed in with poor performances resulting in losses.
And the rise of Ratcat on the charts continued unabated.

Collingwood at least drew to StKilda in round 3 thanks to Harvey missing a sitter!

They also came out and outscored the dogs by 80 points in the 2nd half of round 1. If that was a hangover, this is a coma!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't remember what I had for dinner last night let alone the first 11 rounds on 1991.

That would be a downer.
At least we beat Footscray AKA Western Bulldogs by 70 points at Waverley in Round 1. I was there with my Dad & my 2 brothers. OK. Admittedly we lost to West Coast by about 28 points in Round 2 at Waverley. But more importantly we beat Fitzroy by about 55 points at Victoria Park when we unfurled our 14th flag on that day. Then in Round 4 we drew with St Kilda at Moorabbin. After that, it was really downhill for about 7 or 8 consecutive losses. Then we redeemed ourselves by beating Essendon in about Round 11 or 12. OK. Unfortunately, I think that we have started off much worse then the team did in 1991 based on these numbers. In turn,while we made a rapid recovery in the 2nd half of 1991, I cannot see that being replicated in 2024. A long & barren 2024 awaits methinks. Moreover, there is not a lot of talent in the VFL to bring in. Actually, I went down to see Collingwood play Geelong at Kardinia Park in Round 22 - which tragically just happened to be Darren Millane's last game - and we were comprehensively beaten & so just missed out on the 1991 Finals. Not a great year, folks! Goodnight & goodluck.

That would be a downer.

At least we beat Footscray AKA Western Bulldogs by 70 points at Waverley in Round 1. I was there with my Dad & my 2 brothers. OK. Admittedly we lost to West Coast by about 28 points in Round 2 at Waverley. But more importantly we beat Fitzroy by about 55 points at Victoria Park when we unfurled our 14th flag on that day. Then in Round 4 we drew with St Kilda at Moorabbin. After that, it was really downhill for about 7 or 8 consecutive losses. Then we redeemed ourselves by beating Essendon in about Round 11 or 12. OK. Unfortunately, I think that we have started off much worse then the team did in 1991 based on these numbers. In turn,while we made a rapid recovery in the 2nd half of 1991, I cannot see that being replicated in 2024. A long & barren 2024 awaits methinks. Moreover, there is not a lot of talent in the VFL to bring in. Actually, I went down to see Collingwood play Geelong at Kardinia Park in Round 22 - which tragically just happened to be Darren Millane's last game - and we were comprehensively beaten & so just missed out on the 1991 Finals. Not a great year, folks! Goodnight & goodluck.
What was crazy about 1991 was that we only played Carlton and Essendon once.

Even until the early 2010s we would always play both teams twice during the H&A season. For whatever reason 1991 was the exception and played neither twice.

The game against Carlton in rd 11 was probably the worst weather I’ve encountered at the footy. Barely saw any of the game as I was huddled under an umbrella. Pies only managed 12 scoring shots for the match (10.2) and second half was mirror image of first. Kicked 4.1 in first, 1.0 in 2nd, 1.0 in 3rd, then 4.1 in 4th

I think lowest no of scoring shots we’ve had in AFL era equal with game against North in 2019 where we scored 5.7.37 (I don’t bother including 2020 as they were only 3 qtr equivalent games)

5.7.37 is the second lowest score for pies in AFL era with 4.12.36 being the lowest against Richmond in 1994.

Look at all the teams in the last year alone who have scored under 36. It happens so often. It’s remarkable that the pies in the last 34 years have never scored under 36.

Anyway I think this post got slightly off track 🙂

I see in round 8 we somehow got annihilated by Richmond. Have no memory of this game, but was definitely there as I went to the first 10 rounds before interstate trip.
Is that the game referred to as Mothers day massacre or was that a year or 2 later?

I see in round 8 we somehow got annihilated by Richmond. Have no memory of this game, but was definitely there as I went to the first 10 rounds before interstate trip.
Is that the game referred to as Mothers day massacre or was that a year or 2 later?
That's the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back