1998 Tiwi Islands Football League Grand Final tonite on ABC2's Late Night Legends

Remove this Banner Ad

D/MoN

Senior List
Jul 15, 2005
All At Sea
If you haven't yet seen Tiwi footy, here's your chance: Imalu Tigers vs. Wuranku Eagles do battle for the 1997/98 premiership.

Game starts at 10:45pm (already on in the Eastern States).

Channel 126 on Austar.

they play amazing footy, never stop running. i didnt see that match, but have seen bits of others. very different to melbourne footy.

D/MoN said:
If you haven't yet seen Tiwi footy, here's your chance: Imalu Tigers vs. Wuranku Eagles do battle for the 1997/98 premiership.

Game starts at 10:45pm (already on in the Eastern States).

Channel 126 on Austar.

This game was replayed last night. But being the dork that I am, I missed it. Does anybody have a digital copy of the game, or can point me out to a torrent etc. where I can download it.

In fact, anywhere I would be able to watch Tiwi football, short of flying to Darwin. I'd love to watch anything, I've heard so many wax lyrical about.

Any help appreciated.

I watched last years Tiwi Island Grand final, noticed that some players do not bounce the ball, is this something that isn't apart of the game up there? I haven't seen a player (not in the game I saw) called up for running too far.

I was thinking maybe this is the reason Ritchie Cole gets caught for running too far, I watched part of the 1998 Grand Final, didn't watch it all, it was okay I suppose. I watched the SANFL game the night before it, that was pretty good.

nickid said:
This game was replayed last night. But being the dork that I am, I missed it. Does anybody have a digital copy of the game, or can point me out to a torrent etc. where I can download it.

In fact, anywhere I would be able to watch Tiwi football, short of flying to Darwin. I'd love to watch anything, I've heard so many wax lyrical about.

Any help appreciated.
I see you're a Sydney Uni fan Nickid....Are you playing for them this year,and if so, what division?How they looking down there?

pekay-norwest said:
I see you're a Sydney Uni fan Nickid....Are you playing for them this year,and if so, what division?How they looking down there?

I'll be playing in either of the bottom two grades...its difficult to say because we've had a magnificent turnout this season. WE've been training since December. Throughout Jan we've been training 3 times per week, and this will get more intense going until April.

Everybody will be bloody fit (if not exhausted!), and add to that some pretty decent recruits from out of town.

What about yourself? You are fielding a Div. 1 side this year? Many people down?

nickid said:
I'll be playing in either of the bottom two grades...its difficult to say because we've had a magnificent turnout this season. WE've been training since December. Throughout Jan we've been training 3 times per week, and this will get more intense going until April.

Everybody will be bloody fit (if not exhausted!), and add to that some pretty decent recruits from out of town.

What about yourself? You are fielding a Div. 1 side this year? Many people down?
Sounds hectic.No we couldnt get enough for two teams for this year,so will be defending our premiership in 2nd Division.Am looking forward to the challenge,i hope to be captain again,it would be an honour to lead the boys in 2006.So i guess i'll be seeing you on the paddock.You lot seemed to have recruited well,three nights is a bit much?when do you blokes get time for a drink?We've been at it for over a month,training in mid to late 30s,humid as out at Richmond.Got some good recruits also,and being trained by Armstrong Medal winner and all round fitness nazi, Rabbit Burrows.So all in all,we cant wait for Round 1.

The Majestic said:
I watched last years Tiwi Island Grand final, noticed that some players do not bounce the ball, is this something that isn't apart of the game up there? I haven't seen a player (not in the game I saw) called up for running too far.

I was thinking maybe this is the reason Ritchie Cole gets caught for running too far, I watched part of the 1998 Grand Final, didn't watch it all, it was okay I suppose. I watched the SANFL game the night before it, that was pretty good.

Yeah, kinda noticed that a bit, too. No-one hardly ever gets called for 'running too far', as such, but on watching closely, I think you may find the players running their full measure then going with a handpass or kick. It's not that they don't go for a bounce, just that tactically, sometimes it's better off to run the full measure and pass it off.

It's very much a 'play-on' sort of footy the Tiwi play which, when you consider its opposite, the structured, 'keepy off' footy that the biger leagues play, it's very refreshing to watch.

They're fanatical about their footy, the Tiwis. I just love going there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back