19th man? What about the missing 10000 supporters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Another thing - which idiot at the SANFL changed the standing room areas? For years I've stood in the two-deep painted rectangle behind a particular bay on the flank, now they've removed all of them, and replaced them with tiny boxes at the base of the covered bay stairs.

Significantly less space, plus the constant stream of people who for some reason need to be walking around the ground all the time while the game is on.

The security guys were sympathetic, but some angry little man with a dictators moustache and a grey jacket was walking around waving some little piece of paper with printed rules on it in the faces of people there, demanding they read the rules out loud before forcefully moving them on or telling them to get rid of the drink, and then turning around to glare at the red coat stewards who hadn't done it properly the first time. He's lucky he didn't do it to the people who are usually in the standing room in that area, or he could have ended up upside down in the rubbish bin next to us.

Thought the crowd size was around the mark considering:
- Easter long weekend, plenty of families would have been away, this could account for several hundred, if not more
- Opponent was bulldogs, very small supporter presence behind the goals so if a different team this could also account for more (not many admittedly). However, this means most of the 34K were crows supporters.
- Finally, has anyone bothered paying attention to the crowd numbers over the last few years? Apart from the odd 40K crowd, most of the time the best crowd figure seems to be 34-37K so only just shy of that.

I'm guessing a lot of people are becoming happier to direct their footy membership budget to foxtel and seeing every game live, can't blame them really with living costs so high.

Another thing - which idiot at the SANFL changed the standing room areas? For years I've stood in the two-deep painted rectangle behind a particular bay on the flank, now they've removed all of them, and replaced them with tiny boxes at the base of the covered bay stairs.

Significantly less space, plus the constant stream of people who for some reason need to be walking around the ground all the time while the game is on.

The security guys were sympathetic, but some angry little man with a dictators moustache and a grey jacket was walking around waving some little piece of paper with printed rules on it in the faces of people there, demanding they read the rules out loud before forcefully moving them on or telling them to get rid of the drink, and then turning around to glare at the red coat stewards who hadn't done it properly the first time. He's lucky he didn't do it to the people who are usually in the standing room in that area, or he could have ended up upside down in the rubbish bin next to us.

I agree. I was very disappointed to find no standing room at the back of the bay. Me and some mates moved into the back row of a bay, purely so we could take advantage of the back area standing room, and fill it with some mates.

Considering standing room was some of the loudest crowd members, it only kills the atmosphere that little bit more.

living costs so high.

That is such a media and politics driven lie though, it really is. Unless you're a renter, living has never been more affordable in Australia than it is right now. People just confuse a 'lifestyle of excess' with living, and start wailing profusely. The media prints the wailing in stereo, the opposition repeats verbatim, and the government says "it exists but we're going to fix it" instead of saying "quit crying over things that don't exist".

That is such a media and politics driven lie though, it really is. Unless you're a renter, living has never been more affordable in Australia than it is right now. People just confuse a 'lifestyle of excess' with living, and start wailing profusely. The media prints the wailing in stereo, the opposition repeats verbatim, and the government says "it exists but we're going to fix it" instead of saying "quit crying over things that don't exist".

I don't consider a roof over my head a lifestyle of excess (income to house prices ratio is ridiculous, insurance for said house etc), nor getting my way to work as an excess (public transport ticket prices are up, so is petrol, so is insurance). I think there are legitimate living cost pressures on people (no, I'm not one of them) and I also think some people are not willing to stump up the cash to become members and attend games. Whether that is due to living costs/lifestyle of excess, poor results over the last few years, adelaide oval vs footy park debate, etc etc who knows.....

Depending on how we go against Hawthorn will be interesting to see how many jump on the bandwagon against the "what should be" easybeats in GWS....

I actually reckon there is quite a large lag time when it comes to bandwagon crowds. A few wins in the early part of the season won't hurt, but they won't have a major impact.

There aren't a bunch of medium-passionate Adelaide fans out there waiting to see how we fare in the next couple of games before deciding whether to go to our next home game or not.

What happens is, if the Crows get on a winning run, show good form throughout the season and are suddenly in the mix for top four then the buzz slowly builds. The passives slowly realise that they aren't part of conversations at work, school, dinner parties... because they haven't really been using their tickets and only occasionally watch us on tv - if they're home and there's nothing else on.

All of a sudden being a Crows fan and going to AAMI is cool and people are talking about finals and who Sando should pick this week and does Walker need a run at Norwood to work on his defensive pressure.

It's like Homer with the Isotopes.

Homer: What's the hub-bub? Did Moe finally blow his brains
out?
Lenny: Quiet! We're watching the Isotopes.
Homer: Shut it off, they're losers.
Carl: Where you been? The Isotopes are on fire!
Moe: Yeah, that sniper at the all-star game was a blessing in
disguise.
Lenny: Now we're in the championship game!
Homer: Championship? Hmm?
[Homer ducks out of the bar for a moment, and reappears
totally decked out in 'Topes gear]
Homer: Woo! 'Topes rule! [guzzles a mug of beer]
Brockman: Well, here's a die-hard fan. Sir, your beloved Isotopes
are about to make history. Any thoughts?
Homer: Uh-huh, it's a great team, Kent. We never gave up hope
... I wanna thank Jesus, and say hi to my special lady
Marge. We did it, baby! Whoo! Whooooo!

This! I haven't bothered complaining about this yet because, I guess what's the point? But it's absolute bullshit that the standing area has been changed. I used to stand with my brother and 6-10 (depending on the game time) other mates and it was brilliant. None of our seats are together, so the standing room areas gave us the opportunity to watch the game together. We were insanely vocal too, as tends to happen when you're with mates.

It's just all round disappointing really. Bring on Adelaide Oval.

4 million people live in Melbourne.

Only 21,000 went to the only match in Melbourne on the Sunday.

You're talking about the wrong game, Marty.

I think the AFC will struggle to get 30000 vs GWS simply because its an easy win in the bag, I do think the number may increase to 33000 though as an extra 3000 just want to attend to give Phil Davi$ a jeer:p

Marty. One of your poorest efforts at s**t-stirring I'm afraid. :thumbsdown:

Check your calendar mate, firstly the year so you can be in the same world as us, and secondly the dates, and you'll find that it's Easter - traditionally a time when people go away in hordes.

34,000 was an excellent crowd given that factor.

I went to the Gepps Cross markets this morning which is normally a seething mass of humanity in the thousands at any one time. Today, lucky if there were a few hundred there - the traders were saying that they wished they hadnt bother setting up stalls for the day.

What happened to the rest?

Duh ...........:rolleyes:

Not sure I agree with 34,000 being an excellent crowd. To me 34,000 honestly was pretty disappointing.

Obviously with it being easter we were never going to hit 40, but 2 years ago we drew 36,000 on Easter Sunday against Sydney in a significantly worse timeslot. Considering our pre-season form and re-newed optimism due to the change of coach and playing on a Saturday night I would of had the benchmark at 38,000 for a "great crowd"

Crowd was a little disappointing, but Easter would have had a significant impact I think.

I've always thought our poor form over the past two years has been the biggest reason for the smaller crowds.

I'm sure if we're playing good football throughout the year, then crowds of 40,000 aren't out of the question. Especially against bigger melbourne teams like Collingwood/Essendon/Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I agree with 34,000 being an excellent crowd. To me 34,000 honestly was pretty disappointing.

Obviously with it being easter we were never going to hit 40, but 2 years ago we drew 36,000 on Easter Sunday against Sydney in a significantly worse timeslot. Considering our pre-season form and re-newed optimism due to the change of coach and playing on a Saturday night I would of had the benchmark at 38,000 for a "great crowd"

Sorry, but I can't agree with that

Live against the gate on Foxtel, which has doubled its penetration in South Australia in the last 2 years, as well as being in the middle of Easter, and we're down only 2000.

That's barely pretty disappointing.

Also, a Saturday night crowd is adversely affected also by some of those that went to Oakbank not up to going out again in the evening. Naturally a Sunday crowd isn't because Oakbank isn't on again until the Monday.

Just for curiosity, was that Sydney game of 2 years ago live against the gate?

This! I haven't bothered complaining about this yet because, I guess what's the point? But it's absolute bullshit that the standing area has been changed. I used to stand with my brother and 6-10 (depending on the game time) other mates and it was brilliant. None of our seats are together, so the standing room areas gave us the opportunity to watch the game together. We were insanely vocal too, as tends to happen when you're with mates.

It's just all round disappointing really. Bring on Adelaide Oval.

Same situation for us. Emails already fired off to the AFC and SANFL.

I think the crowd was on par and there will be more attending the GWS game.

People are underestimating how many people go away over Easter. The number has increased in the last 15 years. These days its perfectly normal to have to work over Easter. 15 years ago it was rare to even work on a Saturday or Sunday unless you were in retail. Shops are open longer and more often. People work more hours over a more varied working week and its just not as easy for people to just go away on any given weekend so more people save it for Easter.

Plus its not just people going away, its visiting families too. Had the game been on a Friday night people could have planned around it.

On another note, if you live in melbourne and didnt make the game in Adelaide, big deal. People trolling over this either have no life and expect that footy fans should revolve their entire life around the football each weekend, or are just trolling the wrong board.

I think the AFC will struggle to get 30000 vs GWS simply because its an easy win in the bag, I do think the number may increase to 33000 though as an extra 3000 just want to attend to give Phil Davi$ a jeer:p

You could well be right there, Marty. :D

I never resented Bocky leaving because he had given us excellent service, we had good coverage for his position and at his age he was snaffling up some good money in his last few years.

Davis was young and would have earned very good money for many years with Adelaide. He could have been part of a young team on the rise with a good future, and in fact been an integral part of it.

He sold his soul for money, and left us with a gaping hole to fill.

I enjoy watching him playing for a rabble that gets its arse kicked in every week, and getting a sore neck from watching the ball go over his head through the opposition goals.

I certainly don't wish him any joy or satisfaction in his footy at all. Hopefully we can dig the knife in deep when we play them as well.

Same situation for us. Emails already fired off to the AFC and SANFL.

And as someone who sits in a back row seat, for once not being continually spat on during a game as they yell from the standing section was fabulous. We have had the same group of people stand behind us for years and they are very vocal, yes, but it is generally nothing but negative after negative yelled.

So, I support the movement of the standing section back and it also makes sense to have the walkway clear for the game. If you want to be with mates and you have seats in different sections, did you check with the club to see if you could have seats moved together? We had someone move to a seat with us as a request and we know of others in different areas that were moved together.

If you want to be with mates and you have seats in different sections, did you check with the club to see if you could have seats moved together? We had someone move to a seat with us as a request and we know of others in different areas that were moved together.

This was one of the reasons a few mates and I ended up giving up our Crows memberships and taking up AAMI Stadium memberships. Plus it means if any mates/relatives want to go to a couple of games (but don't want to commit to a full season ticket membership), it's as simple as organising a couple of guest passes. I have a few mates who are international students who have asked me if they can come to the footy with me. Now that can be done fairly easy.

As for Saturday night's attendance, I was disappointed that it was only 34k. Yes, it was Easter weekend, but we've had bigger attendances for games that were on Easter Sunday in the past. I wonder how many people won't go to games for the next 2 years and wait for football to be played at Adelaide Oval before going to games again?

You could well be right there, Marty. :D

I never resented Bocky leaving because he had given us excellent service, we had good coverage for his position and at his age he was snaffling up some good money in his last few years.

Davis was young and would have earned very good money for many years with Adelaide. He could have been part of a young team on the rise with a good future, and in fact been an integral part of it.

He sold his soul for money, and left us with a gaping hole to fill.

I enjoy watching him playing for a rabble that gets its arse kicked in every week, and getting a sore neck from watching the ball go over his head through the opposition goals.

I certainly don't wish him any joy or satisfaction in his footy at all. Hopefully we can dig the knife in deep when we play them as well.
My dream is for another Davi$-Sandilands moment with someone like Tippett or Truck knocking him out. Perhaps hurting his shoulder in the process too, but that might be asking for too much.

If you want to be with mates and you have seats in different sections, did you check with the club to see if you could have seats moved together? We had someone move to a seat with us as a request and we know of others in different areas that were moved together.

If the SANFL wants me to sit in my seat, then they should space the things out a reasonable distance, so that I don't have to scrunch in and ruin my knees every game. Some of us aren't short people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back