2007 Draw - Justify the Tassie Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't need the money to survive - we are one of the financially stronger clubs and have a large support and membership base, I supported the Tasmanian deal because in my eyes I saw it as a way for the club to treated more favourably in regards to away games at the MCG - BTW, I suggested the 11:4 move well before the HFC came out public with it.

What disappoints me in all of this, is our lack of fight over the 3 away TD games. We should be playing 10-11 games at the MCG next year!

What makes the draw worse is that its a hard draw, I can't see us making the finals next year sadly = a poor 2008 draw.

hawker11 said:
We are NOT Fitzroy. We HAD a loyal 30,000 strong membership base. Fitzroy did NOT. DO NOT compare us to the lowest common denominator!

I now we are not Fitzroy - I was merely pointing out what can happen when clubs don't want to change.

The fact is we live in a different landscape. We have a situation were due to the uneven draw and the fact that there are only two grounds in the metro area results in the fixture being prepared to maximise revenue. This means Collingwood gets 15 games at the MCG to our 8.

Further having 30,000 loyal members is not enough for us compete with the strong clubs. Unfortunately this is a fact of life and if we don't accept it we will be bound to mediocrity. Clubs like Adelaide, West Coast, Collingwood etc get a $1 to $2 mllion start on us just with the membership bases they've got. We just can't compete with that staying as we are so we have to look at doing things differently.

I wish we could play all our games in Melbourne, however I understand why the board have made the decision they have. I will support the club in its endevours to make us more competitive off the field and if they means some home games have to be sold, so be it - at least we are not selling games to Sydney or Brisbane and giving these clubs an unfair advantage.

jeffed.gif

Just read the main board to find most of the stuff written here bagging the club is on the main board. Fair enough to let off steam in here but lets not be seen to bag our own club in front of all on the main board. Just opening ourselves up for ridicule and it doesn't look good IMO!

Heropsychodreamer said:
I'm backing the board and the deal with Tasmania

The pure reason they are doing this if for financial reasons, and to tap out tasmania (who are an untouched state really). They are looking to provide Hawthorn with a strong enough financial base that we will NEVER have to worry about merging and falling... an issue that is very close to fruition with a few clubs.

I'm sick of supporters who have one thing go against their perfect life so they threaten to not renew membership for the next yr... to be honest, we dont need members like you... we want people at our club who will stick by the club

Fully, fully and fully agree. As if the board are doing this just for the fun of it. It's to provide a solid financial base and avoid even coming close to folding. Maybe the board presumed members would understand this reality, considering we were a hair away from going down forever.

This negativity breeds, influences people not to rejoin and ends up discouraging others from joining. Well done to those with the memory of a fish.

Jeff Kennet and Ian Robison did there best to get us a top deal from Tasmania and the AFL duded us again but in a few years when we are winning premierships we will show them and they will give the best draw. The AFL just want to suppoert the interstate clubs so I recon we have to show them up for the cheats that thay are and just win games and finals and premierships.

I have faith in Clarkeson and his coaches to make our team a finals team next year so I dont care what the AFL throw at us because we are Hawthorn and we are going to be stong again.

HappyHawk said:
Fully, fully and fully agree. As if the board are doing this just for the fun of it. It's to provide a solid financial base and avoid even coming close to folding. Maybe the board presumed members would understand this reality, considering we were a hair away from going down forever.

This negativity breeds, influences people not to rejoin and ends up discouraging others from joining. Well done to those with the memory of a fish.

Hit the nail on the head Happyhawk. In 1996, nine premierships in 35 years nearly counted for nothing.

Robber Baron said:
Jeff Kennet and Ian Robison did there best to get us a top deal from Tasmania and the AFL duded us again but in a few years when we are winning premierships we will show them and they will give the best draw. The AFL just want to suppoert the interstate clubs so I recon we have to show them up for the cheats that thay are and just win games and finals and premierships.

I have faith in Clarkeson and his coaches to make our team a finals team next year so I dont care what the AFL throw at us because we are Hawthorn and we are going to be stong again.

Fact is Kennett is failing spectacularly on issues many in these forums said would be strengths

Connections X

Hard negotiator X

Loudmouth on trash radio (tick)

dirty lyin politician (tick)

Its only a matter of time before Kennett blames Robson.

Heropsychodreamer said:
I'm backing the board and the deal with Tasmania

The pure reason they are doing this if for financial reasons, and to tap out tasmania (who are an untouched state really). They are looking to provide Hawthorn with a strong enough financial base that we will NEVER have to worry about merging and falling... an issue that is very close to fruition with a few clubs.

I'm sick of supporters who have one thing go against their perfect life so they threaten to not renew membership for the next yr... to be honest, we dont need members like you... we want people at our club who will stick by the club
After this announcement ,this joint will need all the members it can get ,believe me.

Robber Baron said:

This is an out and out the lie.

Both from a $$$$$ and principle aspect, we should have at least 10 games at the MCG next year. Why the hell are we one of only 2 Collingwood home games at the Dome and have no Friday Night action?

Given we as a club are financially strong and are emerging as an exciting unit, we do abysmally on the draw this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 141 days (20 weeks) until those very masculine Roo Boys tear your nomads a new one at Telstra Dome.;)

Seriously though, we're copping 8 interstate games (plus Geelong) in 2007, and also have a crap fixture. Did you really expect a better deal than you were served today?

Everything has a price and strings attached which North fans only know too well. Looks as though you're all finding it out the hard way for yourselves today.

The greatest challenge your club now has is to minimise the churn rate of Melbourne based members. We've had 8 home games in Melbourne for the past few years, and typically have 4-5,000 members dropping off each year (only to be replaced by a few hundred more than we lose).

If you can do a better job at getting punters to renew their 11 game memberships for a lesser package (at the same price) you'll do well as far as the bean counters are concerned. If not, the Tassie deal won't be quite as lucrative as you initially thought.

Good luck with your projects and bring on Round 3!

Hawkk said:
Having a look our MCG allocation;

vs. Melbourne (Monday)
vs. Western Bulldogs (Sunday)
vs. Essendon (Saturday)
vs. St.Kilda (Saturday Night)
vs. Sydney (Saturday)
vs. Richmond (Sunday)
vs. Essendon (Sunday)
vs. Brisbane (Saturday)

To get a better draw, we need to win games and average 45-50,000 across these 8 games...there is no if or buts about it.

Did you say Monday?

:mad: :thumbsdown:

I think this is another example of a poorly administered AFL system. Demetriou and his gang of idiots just seem to burn, burn, burn their way through processes. Its times like this that makes me sit back and smile about how the MCC royally screwed those morons from the AFL over with the finals system.

The Hawks, against the wishes of many members of their own club (not including myself), bargained to play extra games in Tasmania, and strengthen the brand of the AFL throughout Australia. They did this to get leverage with the draw in future. They received the BARE MINIMUM. The AFL needs to realise, you keen burning participants in a bargaining process, and they stop playing ball. Simple.

We've even been drawn against Collingwood (another MCG tenant) to play at the Telstra Dome, whilst two Telstra Dome tenants play at the MCG. I mean, this is just the poorest attempt at adhering to Hawthorns requests that I have come across. In the future, the Hawks better not be saying, we insist on 7 games at the MCG, then hope to get some more...we'll be saying, we insist on 11 or 12 games at the MCG, or you can stick your interstate plans up your cakehole.

The AFL are the ones to blame here...the board have simply used strategy and tactics to try to secure a good outcome, and have been pissed on by the AFL.

sgbn77 said:
I think this is another example of a poorly administered AFL system. Demetriou and his gang of idiots just seem to burn, burn, burn their way through processes. Its times like this that makes me sit back and smile about how the MCC royally screwed those morons from the AFL over with the finals system.

The Hawks, against the wishes of many members of their own club (not including myself), bargained to play extra games in Tasmania, and strengthen the brand of the AFL throughout Australia. They did this to get leverage with the draw in future. They received the BARE MINIMUM. The AFL needs to realise, you keen burning participants in a bargaining process, and they stop playing ball. Simple.

We've even been drawn against Collingwood (another MCG tenant) to play at the Telstra Dome, whilst two Telstra Dome tenants play at the MCG. I mean, this is just the poorest attempt at adhering to Hawthorns requests that I have come across. In the future, the Hawks better not be saying, we insist on 7 games at the MCG, then hope to get some more...we'll be saying, we insist on 11 or 12 games at the MCG, or you can stick your interstate plans up your cakehole.

The AFL are the ones to blame here...the board have simply used strategy and tactics to try to secure a good outcome, and have been pissed on by the AFL.

Couldn't agree more. What are the AFL Commisioners doing?... not much obviously. Having Dimetriou and Gieschen (Cant coach , cant bowl) in charge of the game and the umps is a recipe for disaster.
So don't bame the Board of the Hawks who have positioned the club for a successful future (Its inevitable that a Melb club will go), get stuck into the AFL.:eek:

sgbn77 said:

Well put. Hawthorn has done the right thing by the AFL (and itself - $'s) and been shafted on the draw!

Couple of things though - I love the MCG, but also love the Dome. Great place to watch football. Imagine those 5 games next year when we pump the opposition in packed houses. The roar as Buddy does the impossible and kicks a goal from the boundary.... The passion as the Roughead soars high above the pack and takes a screamer 30 metres out.... The sighs from the girls as Crawford passed to Croad on the lead... The laughter as Vandenburg gets done for holding the ball for the 5th time during a match....

LOVE THE HAWKS!

and with a little inspiration from Sticks

ALL YOU NON-SUPPORTING, NON-SIGNING HAWTHORN FANS CAN GET STUFFED!

Fair dinkum. There are some complete sooks around this club. Those same people who have voted for the merge... Those people who will toss in their membership at the sniff of something not going their way... Those same individuals who iron their jocks...

lethalselbow said:
Fair dinkum. There are some complete sooks around this club. Those same people who have voted for the merge... Those people who will toss in their membership at the sniff of something not going their way... Those same individuals who iron their jocks...

Couldn't have said it better myself. Imagine if we do have some success, these same people will come out of the closet and cheer as if nothing has happened.

I supported the Hawks during our Golden era, and I'll keep supporting them now.

What is great about what the club is doing is it is geniunely trying to do things differently. It is trying to place us in a position where we can genuinley grow stonger.

What have other Victorian clubs done to geniunley improve themsleves? Some have done well (i.e. Collingwood and Essendon) but others keep hovering around the AFL, being supported by a life support machine. At least we will not be in a position to fea that machine being turned off.

Here here.

Bet none of you have the gumption to shake Shane Crawford or Vanders by the hand and say "nothing personal mate, I'm just not supporting you blokes this year because I prefer to watch my footy in Richmond rather than the Docklands. You understand, right?"

Bet none of you have the gumption to shake Shane Crawford or Vanders by the hand and say "nothing personal mate, I'm just not supporting you blokes this year because I prefer to watch my footy in Richmond rather than the Docklands. You understand, right?"

Possibly many will say - i am not supporting you guys this year - because i have to get on a damn plane to see one third of our HOME games next year.

It's a reality - the current membership base don't care about the club half as much as most on this forum - and will drop off over the next 5 years because they will find NO VALUE in a membership ticket with Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back