Preview 2024 Preseason: Hawks v Dogs in Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are getting belted by gun players in the midfield in the real stuff, Finn won’t be playing back pocket. Finn can only play one role to AFL standard but he’s good at it. We are however going to need others to step up in attacking midfield roles in Day’s absence. Newk can’t do it all.

You can’t help but feel envious of the Dogs’ list of talls. They appear to have a surplus playing Darcy in the seconds when he would waltz into our lineup with ease. Unfortunately as a father son selection I doubt he would ever leave the Dogs.
I cannot comprehend how Lobb is selected ahead of him, although I suspect that will change very soon. Disclaimer : I am not a great fan of Lobb.
There is no doubt the Dogs’ salary cap is going to be at bursting point as they try to keep Naughton, English, Ugle-Hagan et al.
Someone will be squeezed out methinks!

Sounds like bevo should be the one squeezed out

read the bit in the middle...

"Why would we roll out system/stratergy we have been working on pre season into a game for '0 points' so our opponants can have a look at it before round 1?
That would make no sense ."

the notion that we work on game plan all summer... hide it then unleash it in rd 1 is nonsense to me... we need to practice it as much as possible vs oppo as much as possible
Unleash .....thats very dramatic and not what I meant at all .
Im talking more subtle changes not a huge overhaul in everything .
But I think you probably knew that

We’re potting Ward based on one praccy game- he’s a young talented mid still finding his way and largely played out of position - give the bloke a break…

I’d be looking at more established players like Nash and Worpel who offered no resistance if we’re looking for a scapegoat…
Both have runs on the board. And have delivered in big games.

Not scapegoating off one practice game. A top 10 pick in his 3rd senior season should be shining. Not ‘still finding his way’. Hence my concern.

I didn’t get to watch the game but reading through the last 5 pages 🥸

Chicken Run Animation GIF by NETFLIX

At our best and competing in the future, I see our main midfield as:
Reeves
Newcombe
Day
McKenzie

Ward will be first cab off ranks in games.

i think thats a fair assessment.

I feel duke, Nash, worps as a first line midfield works when things are going well. When we are trying to defend, they just don't have the pace to transition.

It's a lot better than early last year though, and I don't think they were going full force after half time.

First quarter slow (as was the case most of last yr)
2nd quarter is clicked
3rd quarter a few positional changes and gameplan practice
4th quarter complete cluster of "pretend you're trying"

People singling out young players, questioning their worth… after a practice match in March.

Every. Single. Year.

Ugh Frustrated GIF by Equipe de France de Football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re potting Ward based on one praccy game- he’s a young talented mid still finding his way and largely played out of position - give the bloke a break…

I’d be looking at more established players like Nash and Worpel who offered no resistance if we’re looking for a scapegoat…
I hear you. Hes notched 30 games so it's a little premature to write him off. Day has played 54. The concern with Ward is more the glimpses of his best have been few and far between. Days a good comparison, we saw his potential before he got to 30 games and he's almost the finished product.
What is a little unclear is where Ward fits in to the gameplan. Is he more of an endurance runner who finds space when others tire? I don't see him being the in and under type. Sam needs to find where he can be best used. Seems like his role is still very much a work in progress.

Okay I am going speak about the elephant in the room.

I’m afraid for Ward. Gave early glimpses and hope but has not come on at all.

Seeing Saunders’ run and linking up with their gun mids is what we should be expecting from him in his 3rd season. Last night he was invisible when he should be shining.

He is playing like the world is on his shoulders. No freedom at all. A real concern for the squad going fwd. Top picks like him should be who we build the team and rebuild around, yet he really isn’t best 22 at the moment as Hus and McKenzie have gone past him already.

He is our most highly regarded midfield draft pick since Hodge with huge expectations.

That he can’t can’t displace an Irish rookie, an apprentice chippie off the street and pick 44 as the starting mids and is now probably behind a pick 80 winger (Morrison) a Sudanese rookie and now another rookie traded from Essendon for a wing is telling.

He has avoided serious scrutiny up till now. No one in the team should have higher expectations on them in 2024 than him. I believe he knows it and is really affecting his game.
Play him in the guts where he belongs not on the bloody wing

I hear you. Hes notched 30 games so it's a little premature to write him off. Day has played 54. The concern with Ward is more the glimpses of his best have been few and far between. Days a good comparison, we saw his potential before he got to 30 games and he's almost the finished product.
What is a little unclear is where Ward fits in to the gameplan. Is he more of an endurance runner who finds space when others tire? I don't see him being the in and under type. Sam needs to find where he can be best used. Seems like his role is still very much a work in progress.
Not worried about Ward in the slightest. He’s been Mr Fixit for us. He’s one of those players that you appreciate much more live at the ground. Once we are a more settled and predictable side he will shine.

Positives
Mackensie,Croc,Ginny,HH,Amon,Nuke.

Negatives
Double the inside 50 count.
20 scoring shots in the 2nd half.
out tackled 49-64 in a heavy loss.

• Frost is chaos but I love him. Think we're lucky to have him despite the offesnive madness
We are the 3rd club that’s lucky to have him. He’s the worst player I’ve seen carve out an AFL career. How he’s on our list still speaks volumes about our recent recruiting and drafting. His form last night was plain awful.

Hopefully Worpel and Nashs poor showing last night was due to the fact they haven't actually played much midfield this pre-season because we are giving HH and MacKenzie so much time in there.

Hoping.

Spot on HH and Mackenzie have had alot of exposure in the preseason.
I wouldn't be to dis heartened we had great success thru the middle last season. It will be a telling first month against good competition.

I'd question if you actually watched the game. Chol was horrid apart from one nice kick.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Maybe I am seeing it more from a structural aspect. Coming off a VFL season he will hopefully keep improving.

I think it is better than playing Reeves and Meek.

We didn't trade for Curnow etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back