Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope that we have, and expect to see evidence of it over the next half of a season. But we've no concrete evidence so far in a setting that actually means something. I get where he's coming from.
So the lowest number of inside fifties of the preseason round, with 5 teams being outscored by Hawthorn isn't improving on one of the lowest scoring efficiencies for score per inside 50 last season isn't concrete evidence that things have improved in that area of the ground.

I would suggest that one pre-season game where we had 34 inside 50s is neither grounds for alarm nor confidence regarding our forward line structure.

I'm not 'more' worried or 'more' reassured than I was a week ago.

(I'm not sure I really belong on BigFooty...)

Last edited:

I would suggest that one pre-season game where we had 34 inside 50s is neither grounds for alarm nor confidence regarding our forward line structure.

I'm not sure I really belong on BigFooty...
Pick an extreme or take a hike.

So the lowest number of inside fifties of the preseason round, with 5 teams being outscored by Hawthorn isn't improving on one of the lowest scoring efficiencies for score per inside 50 last season isn't concrete evidence that things have improved in that area of the ground.
Nup. Not proof to me until we do it in the real stuff. We barely played a quarter of proper football last week. It's a big difference when the season starts.

Like I said, I'm hopeful it clicks, but I want proof when the head is on, not just hope.

(I'm not sure I really belong on BigFooty...)
Yep - agree with this.

When CJ 'apparently" suffered a Medium grade hamstring strain at the club Intra club match, it was announced that he was looking at 6 to 8 weeks. That was five weeks ago. The media is now telling us that he will be missing either 4 to 6 weeks or 6 to 8 weeks depending on the media source. Now, depending on which source is correct CJ will have missed either 9 weeks, 11 weeks or 13 weeks for a medium-grade hamstring strain! FFS-it was a hamstring strain, not a PCL- or have we not been told what he really suffered?
Whatever happened to the mandatory three-week hamstring injury?

When CJ 'apparently" suffered a Medium grade hamstring strain at the club Intra club match, it was announced that he was looking at 6 to 8 weeks. That was five weeks ago. The media is now telling us that he will be missing either 4 to 6 weeks or 6 to 8 weeks depending on the media source. Now, depending on which source is correct CJ will have missed either 9 weeks, 11 weeks or 13 weeks for a medium-grade hamstring strain! FFS-it was a hamstring strain, not a PCL- or have we not been told what he really suffered?
I would just wait for the Hawthorn injury update...I thought there may have been one this week, but maybe only when we play.

Hoping for a better outlook on the club website next Tuesday

The AFL injury reports are always inconsistent because they go off second hand information that may not even be up to date.

I'd wait till the official injury update. They can be cagey about certain injuries to important players but 8/10 times it's reliable.

When CJ 'apparently" suffered a Medium grade hamstring strain at the club Intra club match, it was announced that he was looking at 6 to 8 weeks. That was five weeks ago...
not even three weeks yet mate.

intra-club was fifteenth of feb.

Last edited:

Idk who does our injury reports but I can remember Richmond fans having real angst towards Peter Burge a few years back when everyone was popping up with hammys that would be reported as 3 then stretch to 6. Prestia etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can only use the data in front of us. We would be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn't argue Sammy is more attacking that Clarko was, especially in Clarksons last four or so years. The pre-season supports that observation. I cautiously agree but will not mortgage my house over it.
If memory serves, in the early clarko years he was much more attackign then brought in the more defensive side of the game at a later date

If memory serves, in the early clarko years he was much more attackign then brought in the more defensive side of the game at a later date
In his early years Clarko deployed a gameplan that had supporters burning their memberships, he was not an attacking coach at the beginning of his tenure with the club.

Idk who does our injury reports but I can remember Richmond fans having real angst towards Peter Burge a few years back when everyone was popping up with hammys that would be reported as 3 then stretch to 6. Prestia etc
Most were older players with injury history , so not a great combo for that.

If he is ramping up load which dare say he is , we will get these stress and muscle injury .

In his early years Clarko deployed a gameplan that had supporters burning their memberships, he was not an attacking coach at the beginning of his tenure with the club.
Not sure what you are talking about? We tried to run and move the ball by hand but took a few years to gel in combo with the cluster. Given we made finals in his 3rd year and flag in 4th (including a forward who kicked 100+ goals) what early years are you talking about?

I remember an absolutely dire night game at the G against St Kilda. We won but it was a dour defensive performance. Wasn’t enthused at the time but in hindsight the building blocks were in place

Not sure what you are talking about? We tried to run and move the ball by hand but took a few years to gel in combo with the cluster. Given we made finals in his 3rd year and flag in 4th (including a forward who kicked 100+ goals) what early years are you talking about?

Probably 2005 and 2006.

We were one of the lowest scoring sides in the comp. I don't think we were as dour as we were in the latter Clarko years but that could just be recency bias.

Saints mega-flood game at the 'G, what year was that? 06?

google says 07, Ross Lyon. I thought it was Grant Thomas. there you go.
I was at that game (was before I moved across to Melbourne).

I'm sure that was the comedy game where the skills were so poor when we kicked a goal the crowd laughed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back