Hardwick as a forward 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

In the 2nd quarter Hardwick played forward, we looked very potent.......just sayin.....

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah but the players that looked potent in that 2nd quarter were Ginnivan, Watson, Connor MacDonald and Bruest. I have 3 of them ahead of Hardwick for a small forward spot and Watson 50/50.

One thing that i'm not sure has been pointed out is that Finn played Back pocket on weightman and did just as good a job as Hardwick would defensively (weightmans only goal was when finn was off). But didn't offer the disposal that Hardwick has.

I absolutely think it was the right move to train him forward all year and I still think we should try it round 1 but we know we can slot him back into the back pocket and he'll do well. It might work out for him forward it might not, it's too early to tell but we've at least given it the best possible chance of succeeding.

Has given Finn a chance to play as a pure defender. Which is good for his development.

If Finn stays and does a good stopping job on a dangerous small forward, then Hardwick can play further up the ground.

If it’s not working, Hardwick can return to that position.

It’s about developing multi role players in order to challenge in 2026 and beyond.

it's not rocket science it's about developing versatility so we can move him back and forth as needed. on SEN today Sam said specifically that players in our side need to build versatility bc currently our team is very poor at reacting to large momentum shifts. he said midfielders need secondary roles so a). we can develop guys like Frenchie, Ward, Huss in there but b). so it gives us more options to halt the flow and refresh the contest.

the same concept applies to Hardwick training forward. the way things look he almost certainly won't play 100% gametime up there but there are sure to be games where he will be effective up fwd, and others where we need him down back. dominating ball but can't find the connection between mid and fwd? he can benefit forwards. they have a small like Rankine getting off the chain? he can swing back

I didn't watch but I don't put much stock in those matches. Josh Gibson was a mistake before he ever played a real game.

Personally I would like him more in the forward line and developing a more versatile side is never a bad move, because it allows for guys to get more experience in other roles. I don't know the stats but I feel like our pressure up there could be better. And while our backline is a shaky area, personally it's been a few years since I've thought of him as a key ingredient down back, he takes a lot of our kick ins but that's all the more reason to get more experience into other guys. I mean he's no Birchall or Sicily, there's a lot of ways we aren't set in the backline.

What a way to announce himself! Played like a champion full forward. Made it look so easy with effortless leads and beautiful kicking action right through the ball. With that said fully expecting him to line up in the back pocket on Sat. But hope we see him more than just a swingman as bloody hell that was a quarter for the ages

What a way to announce himself! Played like a champion full forward. Made it look so easy with effortless leads and beautiful kicking action right through the ball. With that said fully expecting him to line up in the back pocket on Sat. But hope we see him more than just a swingman as bloody hell that was a quarter for the ages
Yep. He looked so at home and in control. Was beautiful to watch.

I wanted him in the backline because I thought out backline needed him more. It is clear that our new forward line is not working - there is no cohesion at all. He should start and stay forward every week. Make him captain of the forward lime - Bruest and Gunston are cooked and Wingard is not the man to lead the forward line.

Ironically our best small defender is showing forwards how to be a forward. After long time someone is leading into spaces consistently.

Just as you must not judge a player on a poor game or two, we must not go ga-ga over a player on the basis of one single awesome performance. He got off the chain once, yes, and it was quite superb to see, yes. Let’s see him do something similar four or five times before we start proclaiming him a permanent small forward for the ages…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine at 3qtr time they flip the board over.. oppo teams would not know wtf is happening. Game changer. Think about it
With Frost down there no one would know wtf is happening. Speaking of leftfield, also think all our players should shave their heads so everyone looks the same and makes it harder for the opposition to man up 🤣

Last edited:
Very good performance on the weekend. Won't catch teams by surprise for long though, so it will be interesting to see how sides plan for the move and how it goes. Converting set shots was a nice change from someone up forward thought.

Imagine at 3qtr time they flip the board over.. oppo teams would not know wtf is happening. Game changer. Think about it

Too right.

I'm picturing a backline of Chol, Bruest, Ginnivan, Watson and co. absolutely making teams stand up and take notice.

Opposition wouldn't know what to do: bomb it in long at every opportunity or waltz the ball into the teeth of goal!

I wanted him in the backline because I thought out backline needed him more. It is clear that our new forward line is not working - there is no cohesion at all. He should start and stay forward every week. Make him captain of the forward lime - Bruest and Gunston are cooked and Wingard is not the man to lead the forward line.
Bit hard to judge and say our forward line isn't working. Round 1 it looked good but missed shots. Round 4 Lewis out, bruest out, watson out, butler was poor, macdonald was poor, moore started poorly. Hardwick obviously came in and made a difference but i think it's too early to say that he's our best small forward when he's clearly been our best small defender for 5 years.

Breust might go down as one of the best small forwards ever.....

What a nonsense post

It’s actually an extremely logical post

Players eventually slow down. Breust is on the wrong side of 30 and it’s very likely his body won’t hold up to allow him to have a season like he did last year.

We have also just recruited 2 small forwards (Wiz / Ginivan) who play a similar style to Breust who will most likely be prioritised over Luke.

We are missing a Hybrid marking / 3rd tall type up forward which is how Dimma plays.

Jack Gunston will go down as one of the best mid talls ever however he currently isn’t in the side? Luke will play plenty of games this year however team balance wise our best 22 includes Dimma in the forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back