C.Cheeser - 22
Utilities
M.Gruzewski - 19
C.Vickery - 19
D.Jones - 20
J.Sinn - 21
B.Campbell - 22
J.Jeffrey - 22
Not sure how "Moneyball" most in this list are considering the draft picks we would have to give up for them

Not sure how "Moneyball" most in this list are considering the draft picks we would have to give up for them
We split the first for two later firsts (2), then split those for two seconds (4), again split for thirds (8) and then split once more for the pinnacle of picks in rd 4 (16). Pick the four you don't want and we get the rest......simples ;)

If we are throwing early picks from the last couple of drafts, then this kid is tracking very very well.

Behind Cadman, Hogan and Brown / Riccardi

Max Gruzewski is one to keep an eye on, developing well - the most important thing for me is that whilst GWS see him as a forward, he spent most of his Oakleigh Charger days as a KPD.

Making him in a logjam behind Taylor et al.

If we could land him and one of Graham (GCS) or Borlase (Crows) then our KPP stocks with Dear and McCabe look so much deeper, and of the right age.

We don't know any of this, i know it is fun to s**t on North but McKay was a 25 year old who had barely managed to string a full season together and had one season where he was maybe close to elite. A top 3 pick over a guy who will be 28/29 by the time they are even optimistically hoping to compete for finals.

Whether it pays off or not in the long run or not they baulked at paying close to a million a year on a long term deal for an inconsistent tall with clear weaknesses. If Essendon get the best out of him then fair play but i am not going to s**t on North for hesitating paying that cost for Mckay.

... i am not going to s**t on North for hesitating paying that cost for Mckay.

I feel the same.
There's plenty wrong with North, but not matching a deal for a want-away player - who is hardly a star of the game - for such an early pick - was a sensible decision. From what I read at the time, it sounded as if they genuinely wanted to keep him, but they didn't want to make him stay by matching when it was apparent he wanted to leave.

Unfortunately, every second thread on here seems to degenerate into a sh**ting on North conversation. And if they had kept Mackay at the price, I have no doubt there would be plenty of posters on here sh**ting on them for that (probably some of the same posters sh**ting on them for the other).

Truth is, I think their situation is very similar to ours, as are many of their problems.

How do you attract players when you are down the bottom?
How do you attract players when you don't play in the big marquee games (eg ANZAC day in front of 100,000 - probably the real reason Mackay left).
How do you maximise your hand at the draft when it is hopelessly compromised every year?
How do you get the umpires to stop pis**ng on you when you're down?
How do you accurately assess your own players when you're getting beaten regularly?

and so on ...

Trade and FA may be the only path back to/near the top, so suggestions on here about targeting young players around 20-22 (and offering them short term way overs) may just be our best path ... and North's by the way.

The best option for us are the fringes of the suns and gws, high end picks looking for opportunity. They’ve shown they are willing to part with them for fair returns. Conor Stone Leek Aleer Toby McMullin to me all look likely types. Not sure there’s much at the suns Joel Jeffrey maybe as a third forward not sure about Caleb Graham unclear why he didn’t go to north given their KPD stocks.

I for one am glad they actually let him go.

I called it last year that I think Duursma was the most likely bust out of the top group and he's done nothing to change my thinking on that. I know it is early days and if he has a great career that's awesome, but at least North took him off the table before we were tempted, something they couldn't do if they tried to retain McKay.
Early days but could the Duursma’s be the new Morton’s??? Talked up brothers that end up all being spuds

This stupid arse thinking is why north are where they are at present.

Letting a kpd go for some stupid draft pick that could well turn out to be a bust. Thats not a smart decision. Thats gambling with the odds stacked against u.
You're assuming that McKay wanted to stay. Maybe they knew he was out so took the best they could which was pick 3 compo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're assuming that McKay wanted to stay. Maybe they knew he was out so took the best they could which was pick 3 compo.
They made it hard for him to stay when they declined to offer him a contract until late in the season.

And the point i made was that the club likely knew he wasn't interested in staying regardless of any offer.
They didn’t want him to stay.

They wanted to pocket a pick, and be shitter than what they were in 2023, and all this while Hood was behind closed doors campaigning for priority picks.

Early days but could the Duursma’s be the new Morton’s??? Talked up brothers that end up all being spuds
I’d take Mitch Morton’s 2012 premiership medal every day of the week. He was hardly a spud. The other two I’d agree they both failed to deliver.

As for your actual question, the answer is no.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back