Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

At least they’re trying to keep him, I guess.
its an interesting question for Baz and his agent

a team like us or Geelong will likely (or already have) offered 4+ year contracts on presumably more coin than the doggies – although to be clear, this is pure speculation based on each club's respective cap spaces.

if he takes this WB offer, he can go through to FA where he will almost certainly get more money than what he is being offered now by either of the three clubs thanks to the FA premium – but only if he plays well upon return from injury. He could totally crater his value instead of rehabbing it in those two years before FA.

most players tend to bet on themselves, but if he isn't happy at the WB then the money becomes much more of a secondary factor

a team like us or Geelong will likely (or already have) offered 4+ year contracts on presumably more coin than the doggies – although to be clear, this is pure speculation based on each club's respective cap spaces.

if he takes this WB offer, he can go through to FA where he will almost certainly get more money than what he is being offered now by either of the three clubs thanks to the FA premium – but only if he plays well upon return from injury. He could totally crater his value instead of rehabbing it in those two years before FA.

most players tend to bet on themselves, but if he isn't happy at the WB then the money becomes much more of a secondary factor
Would put him in the frame for Tassie too where the offer could be even bigger again

I guess there’s som decent surfing to be had? Tas exposed to long stretches of water to grow swell
AFL would build them one of those wave pools if it would get them some stars in year 1.

But with an ACL - god if he did a second one afew games back he'd be ruined

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Doggies match then we are forced to trade, but if they don't match then they just get compensation, right?
He's not FA.

We'd have to acquire via trade, although some will insist we walk him to the PSD!

This might sound crazy but I'd be happy to offer JUH 10 million over 6-7 years front ended. That would turn his head surely. The cap will only get much bigger over that period so by front ending say 4-5 million over the first two years this could work as I really don't want us to offer much for Smith as we need key position players and not another midfielder. That will help fill our considerable cap space and bring in a genuine match winning talent for our emerging midfield group to kick to. He can seriously play and is only getting better. The Dogs nor any other team could match that offer. He'd grow perfectly with our lists young age demographic. Get it done!

If we finish bottom six I'm anxious about giving our first for Baz.

We've been bottom 6 for years now and none of DGB, Ward, Mackenzie or Watson (tough to include him, but point still stands) have shown anywhere near what Smith did in the first 12-36 months of his AFL career.

Super professional athlete.
Most marketable player in the game.

Even f it's pick 4 we give it and welcome Baz with open arms.

Pick 1-2 is a different story though. I don't see us finishing low enough for that though.

We've been bottom 6 for years now and none of DGB, Ward, Mackenzie or Watson (tough to include him, but point still stands) have shown anywhere near what Smith did in the first 12-36 months of his AFL career.

Super professional athlete.
Most marketable player in the game.

Even f it's pick 4 we give it and welcome Baz with open arms.

Pick 1-2 is a different story though. I don't see us finishing low enough for that though.
If we give pick 4 away from a player on the outer at the dogs after a knee reco I’ll s**t my pants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back