Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rules as every other year.

This isn’t the thread to talk about your ladder predictions or declarations of how interested you are in the draft in response to a win/loss, nor is it the thread to declare who you want to trade for.
Those posts will be deleted.

Talk about the kids in the draft.

Jun 24, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well, didn't that go well?

We got our guy, the family club reminded everyone what that really means, and of course a suprise half-back has set their sights on cult hero status already. But more importantly than all of that, we kept our picks for next year (even got a few cheeky future 4ths). You know what that means?

WHO IS UP FOR 2024?

The "Midfielders" Draft

Finn O'Sullivan - 181cm 70kg - Midfielder

FOS has been the standout player of this draft class, but with an even top end he might just be there at pick 18 (36 after bids) for us. There isn't anything that goes on in a midfield engine room this kid doesn't do with the class, diligence, and pizaz of a superstar. He'll fly for a mark, bust through a pack, get involved in a chain thrree or four times, then boom home a goal from 60m out. A rare high-upside, high-floor prospect that will slot into any midfield in the comp.

Sid Draper - 180cm 70kg - Midfielder/Forward

Sid plays the way footy should be played, a genuine excitement machine with agility, game sense, flair, and the work ethic to put it all together. The shining light for SA in the Champs, Draper's deft touch and stoppage craft provide the catalyst for some houdini-esque escapes from packs. He's a weapon overhead, keeps his calm inside 50 better than anyone in this class, and knows how to get a goal. If he wasn't a footy player he'd be a brain surgeon, his ability to keep a level head under pressure and never let the measly presence of an opposition distract him from what he's going to do would make a Shaolin monk blush.

Jagga Smith - 181cm 68kg - Midfielder

Athletic, diligent, and crisp with his disposal, Jagga is a menace in space and makes the most of the many touches he racks up. Reminiscent of McKercher, Smith's outside work as a bottom ager while maintaining a 30 disposal average position him as the premier outside midfielder in the class. Whether he can aclimatise to the coal face as well as Colby is yet to be seen, but he hasn't put a foot wrong yet.

Chistian Moraes - 182cm 74kg - Midfielder

A player tied to our NGA, Christian is a menace on a wing or in the guts. With a knack for reading stoppages and getting first hands to the footy, Moraes gives a spark to centre bounces and follows up his work with overlap run that epitimises his relentless attacking style while maintianing consistent defensive efforts.

There's also Josh Smilie, Phoenix Hargrave, Sam Lalor, and Tom Gross as promising midfielders for next year that could be around our pick.

"But TDS, we don't need midfielders we need talls. We should have done whatever it takes to trade in to pick up Caddy, Curtin, or O'Sullivan this year!"

Well let me stop you right there, because I reckon there's three talls that everyone on this board should be keeping an eye on next season. This will very likely end up looking like a torrid take this time next season, but let me have my guys.

Jobe Shanahan - 192cm 80kg - Tall Utility

Jobe is a truly special player in the air, and while currently undersized he makes up for it tenfold with dazzling leaps and ferocious pack crashes. He reminds me a bit of Naughton, his prowess in air translating when both intercepting or presenting up forward. His body work and deceptive strength cap off a player profile that should excite everyone next year.

Jonty Faull - 194cm 84kg - Tall Forward

Jonty shot onto the scene with one of the most impressive ends to a season we saw this year. He's improved so much over the past season, he works hard on his craft and has some serious leg speed over the first 10 metres that can make his opponents look silly. He works hard on defense, kicks bags on offense, and plays through the ruck to some pretty decent results. If he keeps improving into next year he could very well end up in the top handful of picks, right where we want him.

Noah Mraz - 197cm 82kgs - Tall Defender

Mraz is a true defenders defender, with the mobility to match up on third talls and the size to stand up to the giants. He's clean with ball in hand, and a great competitor in the air. He does his best work when given an opponent to work on, but can play further up the ground and hold his own in the ruck. He'd look to put together a solid season against quality opposition next year, which there seams to be a bit of a lack of in terms of key forwards, but given the chance he's one who could really shine as a lockdown back. Probably more in the scope for a second rounder at the moment, but I could see him shoot up the draft board if given the chance.

Other potentially interesting tall prospects are Harry O'Farrell, Luke Trainor, and Charlie Nicholls.

And there you go, that should be enough to start the thread. Let the long wait begin once more.

Thank god we have our 2024 first and the AFL gave us the draw we got! We either get the mid (love FOS) that rounds out and balances our overall midfield brigade or an exciting tall. That and the 2xf1 fourths will make this year of draft watching exciting!!! Looking for one of those to find us the next Poppy an out and out defensive forward.

Finn O'Sullivan - 181cm 70kg - Midfielder

FOS has been the standout player of this draft class, but with an even top end he might just be there at pick 18 (36 after bids) for us.

Love the confidence, TDS, not that our first is pick 18, but that there'll only be 18 bids before it...

If we have this thread up already can someone else start the 2024 trade hypothetical thread?
The quickest way to get it set up is to start posting hypothetical trades in here ;)

Are we sad to have missed out on Duursma?
Wizard Of Oz GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With hopefully Blanck, Denver and McCabe becoming solid KP's for the next decade for us , the next position need is another kpf or at least a third tall type frwd. Post Gunston, we don't have that dangerous smart third tall on our list hence our interest in Duursma! MM has 12 months to see if he can unearth one of those types.
If not, then another A grade midfielder wouldn't go astray.

AFL to change the rules re NGA. Hawks finish 9th and trade pick 9 + plus change for a top end player (maybe Smith, but perhaps a KPP).
Match on Moraes with a bunch of nothing picks, trade our F1 and jump back in for Jobe Shanahan 192cm utility, then pick up baby Maginness with our last pick. Job done I reckon.
We will land a top free agent in 2024 as well.
Of course I am dreaming and have no idea how these blokes play, but you can take it to the bank.

Remember too that Smith will want to come over next year and Dogs don't have a 1st rounder in 2024 so will definitely ask for ours, and depending on the year Smith has next year, maybe more.

AFL to change the rules re NGA. Hawks finish 9th and trade pick 9 + plus change for a top end player (maybe Smith, but perhaps a KPP).
Match on Moraes with a bunch of nothing picks, trade our F1 and jump back in for Jobe Shanahan 192cm utility, then pick up baby Maginness with our last pick. Job done I reckon.
Of course I am dreaming and have no idea how these blokes play, but you can take it to the bank.

I would like to see the NGA bidding the same as the academy kids if they are rated high then clubs need to pay up. If a club puts work into the kids they should benefit from it even if they are top 10 if you think your player will be top 10 you need to match with a first round pick if you have 2 players and they are first round picks then you need two first rounds picks and so on.

Hope you are right.

Reading that, we need Mraz.
Shanahan if he grows a little more based on his description is my man. I doubt we would take a key defender in the top 5 which where we'll probably pick from. He sounds good though but the Pies second rounder won't get him unfortunately at this stage. It will be hard to pass on one of the gun mids though regardless of lack of need. Maybe one will have a point of difference for us which would be cool or we trade it for an established star that fills an area of need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back