Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rules as every other year.

This isn’t the thread to talk about your ladder predictions or declarations of how interested you are in the draft in response to a win/loss, nor is it the thread to declare who you want to trade for.
Those posts will be deleted.

Talk about the kids in the draft.

Reading that, we need Mraz.

Shanahan if he grows a little more based on his description is my man. I doubt we would take a key defender in the top 5 which where we'll probably pick from. He sounds good though but the Pies second rounder won't get him unfortunately at this stage. It will be hard to pass on one of the gun mids though regardless of lack of need. Maybe one will have a point of difference for us which would be cool or we trade it for an established star that fills an area of need.

Mraz should be at the pies pick at this stage. Reminds me of Ollie Murphy, who I still rate very highly. He has a lot of tools and applies them proficiently, but his offensive production isn't what coaches want in key backs. In my mind, he either makes enough improvement in consistency and offensively to justify a high pick or he'll be around the second round.

Faull is still one of my favourites, he's made massive strides reminiscent of Cadman and Mackenzie's big rises in the second half of their u17 season. If he starts the season kicking bags and plays well in the champs I can see him being a big riser.

Shanahan is probably the highest rated of the three so far, and for good reason. I've heard he might have grown from the reported 192cm, but even at his listed height he's more earnt the ranking. He moves around the ground well, but he's everpresent in the air and ferocious in packs. Could be a perfect centre half forward if he builds his fitness base up and works on applying himself defensively.

Mraz should be at the pies pick at this stage. Reminds me of Ollie Murphy, who I still rate very highly. He has a lot of tools and applies them proficiently, but his offensive production isn't what coaches want in key backs. In my mind, he either makes enough improvement in consistency and offensively to justify a high pick or he'll be around the second round.

Faull is still one of my favourites, he's made massive strides reminiscent of Cadman and Mackenzie's big rises in the second half of their u17 season. If he starts the season kicking bags and plays well in the champs I can see him being a big riser.

Shanahan is probably the highest rated of the three so far, and for good reason. I've heard he might have grown from the reported 192cm, but even at his listed height he's more earnt the ranking. He moves around the ground well, but he's everpresent in the air and ferocious in packs. Could be a perfect centre half forward if he builds his fitness base up and works on applying himself defensively.
Thanks for the insight, it's very informative for a bloke who knows very little about next years crop. I'm very interested in who will be available to us in the early stages of the draft next year after our here we go again tough draw has almost ensured that. We'll add another nice piece to our next premiership side as a result. Short term pain for long term gain.

So how I’m reading it, doesn’t sound like we are going to get a leg up by having Chistian Moraes in our NGA? Another club can pick him up and we don’t get any discount on him In the draft by using later picks?
If we want him we’ll have to use our first rounder?

No way they completely remove NGA restrictions, at best they drop it to 20 from 40 (too late for TJ) but they won't want established clubs getting pick 1 for nothing through an NGA.

It's all JUH's fault really.

Yet Sydney and Brisbane can with their AFL assisted academy kids.

I’m ok assisting the new teams, for a set period (10 years or something), but if we want a totally fair and equal draft, then all draftees should be made available to the clubs at the arse end of the ladder. Brisbane and Sydney are well and truly established clubs, and I’d argue that Gold Coast Suns (entered 2011) and GWS (entered 2012), are or at least should be now too.

The AFL have just handed North a packet full of draft assistance yet the player that would have best suited their list rebuild this year, Jed Walter, was really only available to the Suns.

Yet Sydney and Brisbane can with their AFL assisted academy kids.

I’m ok assisting the new teams, for a set period (10 years or something), but if we want a totally fair and equal draft, then all draftees should be made available to the clubs at the arse end of the ladder. Brisbane and Sydney are well and truly established clubs, and I’d argue that Gold Coast Suns (entered 2011) and GWS (entered 2012), are or at least should be now too.

The AFL have just handed North a packet full of draft assistance yet the player that would have best suited their list rebuild this year, Jed Walter, was really only available to the Suns.
The biggest rort with the northern academy's are the lack of criteria. You have children of ex AFL players in them.

The whole point is to attract and retain talent that would be lost to other sports. You can't tell me Nick Blakey would be lost to AFL. Same areas as the Crawf and Hodge boys.

Just to note: I'm in favour of the northern academies existing in some capacity. Just remove the discount and change the criteria somehow.

The biggest rort with the northern academy's are the lack of criteria. You have children of ex AFL players in them.

The whole point is to attract and retain talent that would be lost to other sports. You can't tell me Nick Blakey would be lost to AFL. Same areas as the Crawf and Hodge boys.

Just to note: I'm in favour of the northern academies existing in some capacity. Just remove the discount and change the criteria somehow.
So am I, BUT under the same rules for all.

Heard a few times now that next years crop is stacked with mids. 9 of the 10 mentioned here are mids and the other a forward but tied to Crows. Hope MM and Mitch are spending a lot of time over the next year selling our club and we trade our first wisely …… we are stacked with young quality mids!

Heard a few times now that next years crop is stacked with mids. 9 of the 10 mentioned here are mids and the other a forward but tied to Crows. Hope MM and Mitch are spending a lot of time over the next year selling our club and we trade our first wisely …… we are stacked with young quality mids!

Best way to sell the club is to have a strong year on the field.

And Walter's from Perth and been playing footy since he was nine, no chance at all he'd be lost to the boogey man at the NRL or A League.

That's why it would have been great to trade back into this draft to snag Curtin, O'Sullivan or Caddy. If we tried and no one was interested then so be it, what can you do?

It seems that teams only wanted to trade down (GWS and Geelong), and not out completely.

That's why it would have been great to trade back into this draft to snag Curtin, O'Sullivan or Caddy. If we tried and no one was interested then so be it, what can you do?

It seems that teams only wanted to trade down (GWS and Geelong), and not out completely.
Yes glad we tried would have loved COS. Only way would have been to trade down with dees or gws but that would have only been if we wanted Curtin ahead of Watson. The top few mids look like absolute guns and different to our mix so would be happy to add one and rebalance our mix next trade period. It’s still a strong place to be.

my view on the 2024 draft from u16s last year and most of the top tier performing at the recent u18s, around 90 prospects heading into next year and im sure i'll find another dozen as the year plays out.

so i thought i would start my thread for 2024 based on u16's championships, state rep games and u18's leagues and who i think has the ability to perform at the state rep levels and potentially AFL level, i will name a top 90 who i am keen to see more of next year and im sure i will find another dozen or so next year in the early rounds or through-out the year.

Updated Ranking
1. Finn O'Sullivan - Oakleigh/Vic Country 181cm - cousin of Sam Walsh, great over head, good user of the footy, smooth mover in traffic
2. Sid Draper - Sth Adel 180cm - one of the better mids for SA at the u18s champs, good work rate and good movement through the midfield
3. Levi Ashcroft - Sandringham(Bris FS) 179cm - small forward who can also accumulate in the midfield, has slowly moved up the rankings with quality performances
4. Josh Smillie - Eastern 194cm - tall midfielder type, who can also play hbf well, good vision and positioning
5. Tyler Welsh - WWT 191cm(Adle FS) - shortish KPF, great work rate and speed for a KPF, movement is fantastic and a good goal kicker
6. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh 181cm - accumulator midfielder, good goal kicker, good agility and movement
7. Leonardo Lombard - GCS A 178cm - a fantastic midfielder who took a few big steps in the CTL and VFL, rising up the draft boards
8. Phoenix Hargrave - Sth Adel 182cm - dominant quality mid at u16s, was solid this year at the u18s and was MVP in the sanfl u18s this year
9. Nash King - Calder 181cm - tough quality midfielder, was ok at u16s but his CTL form and VM form this year confirmed his highish rating going into 2024
10. Joe Harrison - Syd A 187cm - only seen a small sample, but he looks quality, had a big game for NSW
11. Tom Gross - Oakleigh 180cm - tough contested midfielder, goes in without fear which is a good trait, a bit erratic
12. Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo 187cm - watching bendigo he would steal the show with his intercepting and general quality play off hbf/hff
13. Caleb Nancarrow - GCS A/Oak 191cm - another shortish KPP, but has hops in his legs, hangs in the air like M.Jordan lol very athletic
14. Jobe Shanahan - Bendigo/NSW 192cm - another shortish KPP, good contested mark, very impressive for Bendigo/NSW
15. Christian Moraes - Eastern 182cm (Haw NGA) - was decent at the u16s champs, but his year this year was top knotch for VM and during the finals
16. Harry O'Farrell - Calder 196cm - a KPD that has improved and caught my eye in a couple of rep games, also has the height to possibly go high in the draft
17. Jonty Faull - GWV 194cm - a KPF who improved dramatically this year and again could rise in rankings based on late season form
18. Jesse Dattoli - Northern 178cm - a small forward who had a strong year, looked good for VM as well
19. Kayle Gerryn - West Perth 198cm - a ruck who was very good in most aspects for WA at the u16s, in a strong WA Team and looking good in the wafl colts after a growth spurt
20. Benny Barrett - Sth Adel 174cm - very similar player to Ky Pickett, had a fantastic 2022, but not so great 2023, hoping he can find his form and confidence
21. Lucas Camporeale - Glenlg 182cm (Carl FS) - was top tier winger/mid at the u16s, dropped off a little this year in sanfl u18s form
22. Ben Camporeale - Glenlg 184cm (Carl FS) - moved from hbf to midfield this year and boosted his value, so i have put them together in the rankings
23. Jayden Nguyen - Calder 177cm (Ess NGA) - speedy clever winger who can accumulate, was good at the u16s and this year had a few big games
24. Patrick Retschko - Oakleigh 186cm - really impressed with calmness and quality for VM this year, could be a first rounder if he keeps fit
25. Sam Marshall - Bris A/Sand 185cm - accumulator mid, stood out for Brisbane in their CTL games, had a good game for QLD as well
26. Zak Johnson - Northern 185cm - quality kick of the footy, kicking stood out at the u16s, has been good this year in the CTL and rep at stages too
27. Kade Herbert - WWT 183cm - had a good u18s series which i think increased his value, some have him higher, but i have him here for now
28. Otis Harvey - Swan Dist 182cm - one of the better WA players, good mid and continued form in 2023
29. Isaac Kako - Calder 175cm (Ess NGA) - quality small forward, good on a lead and crumbing goals, not sure on defensive game?
30. Sam Lalor - GWV 187cm - strong midfielder, played well in CTL and for VC
31. Xavier Lindsay - Gippsland 182cm - good midfielder from Gipps, good u16s form and a good year in the CTL this year
32. Archer Day-Wicks - Bendigo 185cm - has been a bit up and down this year, had a run for VC at the u18s
33. Xavier Ivisic - Geelong 180cm - quality winger form the u16s and has looked good at times in the u18s this season
34. Bo Allan - Peel 188cm - solid 3rd tall def, one of WA's best performing players as an underager
35. Murphy Reid - Sand 181cm - had a few quality moments in the u18s champs and was a solid contributor for sandy this year
36. Ned Atkinson - Sturt 180cm - tough midfielder, puts his body on the line, quality player in the u16s champs winning team
37. Jacob Newton - Norwood 175cm - another quality player in the u16s champs winning team, quality mid
38. Ricky Mentha - NT/Gippsland 179cm - ive only seen a small sample, but he looked good for Gippsland and im curious how he does at rep level
39. Louie Montgomery - Nth Adel 183cm (Port FS) - running halfback who can go forward and kick long goals, decent in mid as well
40. Cooper Hynes - Dand 188cm - mid - tough mid with good disposal, has a bit of run in the legs but could improve in that area

i will just name the next 50

41. Jack Whitlock - Murr 199cm - kpf/ruck
42. Flynn Penry - GWV 200cm - ruck
43. Tom Evans - Bendigo 180cm - mid
44. Deian Roberts - Peel 185cm - mid
45. Rhys Unwin - GWV 177cm - sml forw
46. Harvey Langford - Dand 188cm - mid
47. Luke Trainor - Sand 193cm - KPD
48. Lucas McInerney - North 180cm - hbf
49. Chayse Martinson - Swan Dist 180cm - mid
50. Charlie Hewitt - Bris A 198cm - ruck/KPP
51. Oliver Depaoli-Kubank - Tas 177cm - mid
52. Hugh Boxshall - Clare 187cm - def
53. Josaia Delana - GWS A 174cm - mid/sml forw
54. Jack Ough - GWV 191cm - def
55. Malakai Champion - Subi 170cm - sml forw
56. Oliver Warburton - Murr 184cm - mid
57. Thomas Legudi - Calder 177cm - hbf
58. Tadgh McCarthy - Oak 191cm - def
59. Zai Millane - GCS A 188cm - def (nephew of coll millane)
60. Austin Van Der Struyf - Clare 179cm - hbf/wing

Lucca Grego - Western 183cm
Koopa Walsh - Subi 193cm
Lucas Ravenhill - Clare 199cm
Trent Hiscock - Wst Perth 190cm
Noah Mraz - Dand 197cm
Tom Luck - WWT 195cm
Josh Murphy - GWS A 190cm
Joel Cochran - Syd A 194cm (have not seen enough to rate, but did look good in the u17s futures)
Clay Shadforth - NT/Sth Adel 180cm
Rome Burgoyne - WWT 186cm
Charlie Richardson - Sand 190cm
Oliver Withers - GWS A 183cm
Liam Farrar - Northern 188cm
Harrison Oliver - Sand 181cm
Noah Yze - Sand 189cm
Wil Thomas - Sturt 178cm
Harry Jones - Swan Dist 181cm
Anthony Hansen - Swan Dist 172cm
Waylon Davey-Motlop - NT 184cm
Max Stobie - Gipps 181cm
Charlie Nicholls - Central Dist 196cm
Tom Gillet - Bris A 199cm
Taj Hotton - Sand 180cm
Oliver Hannaford - GWV 180cm
Will McCarthy - Murr 188cm
Harry Dodd - WWT 183cm
Tom Tasker - Nth Adel 190cm
Zach Travers - Sand
Angus Morrison - Geel
Sam Fanning -
Charlie West -
Jaxon Douglas - Clare 187cm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like the AFL will be doing a shake up of the academy, NGA systems. Good timing for us with Christian Moraes a highly touted prospect in our academy. Can’t imagine any change will allow us to have access to him but you never know.

Seems like the AFL will be doing a shake up of the academy, NGA systems. Good timing for us with Christian Moraes a highly touted prospect in our academy. Can’t imagine any change will allow us to have access to him but you never know.
keep the academies, but no access inside first round

encourages (northern) clubs to grow the game, but they don't get unfair access to elite talent

They need to make it that you need a pick in the range that the player is rated for NGA,FS and Academy kids.

So if you have a player that’s rated top 10 you need a top 10 pick to match if you have 2 players you need 2 top 10 picks and so on same with 2nd rounds 3rd rounds so you match the bid with the same round that his selected in the draft.

Then everyone gets the same fair system and you get the players your development all those years.

So next year if we want to pick up Christian Moraes and we want to get a second top 10 ten pick if his rated top 5 we need to get 2 top ten picks for another player.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right thread but there's no hypothetical one yet.

It's a pipe dream but I hope we offer Cadman something he can't refuse. We have the draft capital and cash, Geelong could be reluctant to offer high end picks at this stage of their rebuild so we could get ahead of them.

If we manage to get Smith across, let's hope it's for our 2025 R1.

They need to make it that you need a pick in the range that the player is rated for NGA,FS and Academy kids.

So if you have a player that’s rated top 10 you need a top 10 pick to match if you have 2 players you need 2 top 10 picks and so on same with 2nd rounds 3rd rounds so you match the bid with the same round that his selected in the draft.

Then everyone gets the same fair system and you get the players your development all those years.

So next year if we want to pick up Christian Moraes and we want to get a second top 10 ten pick if his rated top 5 we need to get 2 top ten picks for another player.

Rated by who though? That's the flaw I see in this idea. I like the idea, don't get me wrong.

Could it work if the Academy/FS/NGA team must match with a pick within a certain range, say 5-10 picks, instead of matching with 3-4 picks in the 20's, 30's or 40's?

So, let's use Jed Walter from this year as an example. He was bid on with Pick 3. Gold Coast would need to hold, or trade in a pick in the next 10 picks, so pick 4-13, and that pick must then be used as part/all of the matching of the bid at Pick 3. Gold Coast used picks 26, 30 & 32. Would that haul get someone to trade Pick 13 to them? I doubt it.

They still get the discount, but all Academy/NGA's/FS can then be matched by their club at any selection, no restrictions for NGA's etc.

Any academy/nga/fs changes won't impact 2024 draft as selections have already been traded. Changes will be introduced and known before next years trade period. Pretty sure Laura announced that in the article.

Rated by who though? That's the flaw I see in this idea. I like the idea, don't get me wrong.

Could it work if the Academy/FS/NGA team must match with a pick within a certain range, say 5-10 picks, instead of matching with 3-4 picks in the 20's, 30's or 40's?

So, let's use Jed Walter from this year as an example. He was bid on with Pick 3. Gold Coast would need to hold, or trade in a pick in the next 10 picks, so pick 4-13, and that pick must then be used as part/all of the matching of the bid at Pick 3. Gold Coast used picks 26, 30 & 32. Would that haul get someone to trade Pick 13 to them? I doubt it.

They still get the discount, but all Academy/NGA's/FS can then be matched by their club at any selection, no restrictions for NGA's etc.
I feel like the system you have described there is what has been discussed. Or at least from what I have seen - which makes sense to me. You should have to match a bid with a pick in that round

Remove this Banner Ad

Back