Hardwick as a forward 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Bedi

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Forget Ginnivan, the Wizard, Chol and Gunston 2.0, Hardwick is shaping up to be our most exciting new forward prospect 2024. From what i saw in the first half against the Bulldogs he looked like a real live wire, and if we do have the luxury of playing him up forward (which if another backman goes down, we may not) we'll see an exciting new style and approach from a player assigned week-in-week-out as a dogged defender. So for a player who's kicked a paltry 8 goals from 147 matches do we know what's brought this on? I know he was a forward in TAC days (think he may've kicked 11 once ?) but still, seems like a pretty leftfield move and wonder if it's Mitchell or Hardwick who instigated it. Either way, i'm really looking forward to this experiment and reckon it'll pay off – even if the question remains if the forward line requires further bolstering.

Last edited:
Wonder how long we persist with Dimma as a forward if our backline struggles.

I see our backline as an area of huge concern
I think the value and a huge rationale for this decision is the fact that it doesn't have to be a huge shift to make this move. If our backline is struggling we simply move him back to solidify it. Otherwise, he can stay forward and be really effective, particularly in 1-on-1 contests.

It might end up being a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul but if so it's not like Dimma would make any massive strides training in the pre-season as a defender. He can just move back there and be 95% as effective as he normally would IMO.

Forget Ginnivan, the Wizard, Chol and Gunston 2.0, Hardwick is shaping up to be our most exciting new forward prospect 2024. From what i saw in the first half against the Bulldogs he looked like a real live wire, and if we do have the luxury of playing him up forward (which if another backman goes down, we may not) we'll see an exciting new style and approach from a player assigned week-in-week-out as a dogged defender. So for a player who's kicked a paltry 8 goals from 147 matches do we know what's brought this on? I know he was a forward in TAC days (think he may've kicked 11 once ?) but still, seems like a pretty leftfield move and wonder if it's Mitchell or Hardwick who instigated it. Either way, i'm really looking forward to this experiment and reckon it'll pay off – even if the question remains if the forward line requires further bolstering.
He wasn't just a forward in his TAC days, he was the competition's leading goalkicker with hauls of 12, 10 and 8 included.

There have been reports (can't verify them) that Hardwick has politely asked every preseason (since being drafted) about playing forward.

With our forward line our biggest concern last season and needing players that can finish the opportunities our midfield create, the forward line has rightfully been the major focus of the off-season. We already know what Hardwick offers in defence and that he can be relied on there so why not trial him up forward in the off season to give us a look at another option (if our recruits don't all pan out).

We still have the option of swinging him back as needed and with the injuries accrued, that may be more needed than initially anticipated. I like the trial of this option though - especially as effective backline stoppers are easier to create/find (may be not to Hardwick's level) than conistently effective goalscorers.

He wasn't just a forward in his TAC days, he was the competition's leading goalkicker with hauls of 12, 10 and 8 included.

There have been reports (can't verify them) that Hardwick has politely asked every preseason (since being drafted) about playing forward.

With our forward line our biggest concern last season and needing players that can finish the opportunities our midfield create, the forward line has rightfully been the major focus of the off-season. We already know what Hardwick offers in defence and that he can be relied on there so why not trial him up forward in the off season to give us a look at another option (if our recruits don't all pan out).

We still have the option of swinging him back as needed and with the injuries accrued, that may be more needed than initially anticipated. I like the trial of this option though - especially as effective backline stoppers are easier to create/find (may be not to Hardwick's level) than conistently effective goalscorers.
If that's the case it's very cool for him (and us) it's happening and also testament to his character as a team player

Good on him for persisting. It's so interesting that he has been denied this long. In my mind it's harder finding forwards that can really add value than it is finding defenders (either lock down, rebound, or both). In my mind we will be likely to lose a little in the back from him going forward, but we were always likely to gain more (given the state of our forward line. I think that we would have gained more from playing him forward than, for example, Kosi or Fergus last year. Excited to see how this turns out.

Good point, some extra defensive pressure in our forward line would be nice.
Like that Dimma seems to know the right running patterns. Our forward line has been poor at its movement, but Dimma knows where to lead and find space.

See him as Mark Williams, being able to be a leading option, despite his size.

Good thread because this is almost like a new recruit basically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has a pretty similar skillset/build to Toby Greene. Dimma has done a pretty good job on him defensively so must know some of his tricks. If he can get anywhere near that level up forward we will be laughing.

With Ginni and the wiz coming on board I’m not sure of the logic of this.
Still, in Sam we trust.

I'm thinking that in addition to Hardwick's own footy skills, it won't hurt to have a genuinely hard man up forward. These new guys are chippy and small. Hardwick is as hard as cast iron. The youngin's can probably use a little backup, especially at the start of the year.

I'm not saying that Mitch can't stand tall, but Hardwick does wear number 15. And that number is a hard number for us.

Hardwick’s one on one is sublime, re watch the Collingwood game where he takes out Elliot time and again. Adds defensive pressure and reads the ball brilliantly, great addition to the forward line. What I’m keen to see is the back 7 mix, Sam has a vision and can’t wait to see how it plays out. Mitchell is my pick to take Hardwick’s place and in time Ryan. Exciting time for the Hawks.

This thread sums up the Hawks in 2024.

Do we go on the attack, and put everything on the line trying to optimise the forward line to increase our average score?

Or do we sacrifice a potentially promising forward option to shore up the defence?

Ange Postecoglou knows what he would do. Sam Mitchell likely know what Ange would do. But we can't be sure yet what Sam Mitchell will do.

Either way, should be an exciting year of development.

This thread sums up the Hawks in 2024.

Do we go on the attack, and put everything on the line trying to optimise the forward line to increase our average score?

Or do we sacrifice a potentially promising forward option to shore up the defence?

Ange Postecoglou knows what he would do. Sam Mitchell likely know what Ange would do. But we can't be sure yet what Sam Mitchell will do.

Either way, should be an exciting year of development.
Attack Falling GIF

Only one choice in my opinion

We haven't had a decent medium fwd for awhile. Someone that demands a bigger body, is hard and doesn't mind a contest is of underrated value in AFL terms. Also, the ability to shut down an opposition defender when required.

I would rather us try a handful of lads in def and have Dimma causing problems for opposition up fwd.

Edit: went and had a look at stats and Breust and Dimma are basically the same size. Would have thought Dimma had 5kg and 5cm on him! Still thin they are different types of fwds.

Jarman, Paul Hudson, Buckenara, Tony Hall, Dixon. Been awhile since these guys.
Note: Williams ( played more time as the key fwd), Gunston ( played smaller than his height)

Last edited:
We haven't had a decent medium fwd for awhile. Someone that demands a bigger body, is hard and doesn't mind a contest is of underrated value in AFL terms. Also, the ability to shut down an opposition defender when required.

I would rather us try a handful of lads in def and have Dimma causing problems for opposition up fwd.

This reminds me of the move of Campbell Brown to the forward line in 2008.

With Ginni and the wiz coming on board I’m not sure of the logic of this.
Still, in Sam we trust.

I reckon Sam must be pretty confident that one of or a combination of Seamus, Impey, Ryan can cover for the loss of Dimma out of the back line. I would love it if Ryan and Seamus are our small defenders in 2-3 years time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back