Autopsy Round 3, 2024 :Hawks fail against Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

I look at it differently .

Weddle is 19 and we had faith to put him on someone who I regard as one of the best 3 players in the comp .
A guy who bbq'd us last year and pretty much does what he wants .

Weddle kept him in check and under control .....and I reckon learnt a heap doing it too .
Thats two big ticks for the match up.

If we want him being damaging , going forward and hitting the scoreboard as he progress's Cameron is the player you want him learning from.
I agree he did an awesome job. But he is one of the Hawks best when he is freed up.

Maybe I just want two of him 🤷‍♂️

Have seen multiple posters getting stuck into Connor Macdonald after yesterday.

The same Connor averaging 18 disposals, 7 marks, 2 tackles and a tick under a goal a game playing on the half forward flank?

Putting up great numbers so far.
Going well with the ball. Without the ball he is one of our worst with tracking back and watching opponents go past him

Watched the first quarter on replay (best idea AFL.com have ever had!) and the umpiring noticeably didn't go our way, which I think left the team bamboozled, then the Cats confidence got up and they went into goal festival mode. I was shocked by Sicily just standing there to be tackled, and then Bruest had his nightmare moment.
Decided not to sit through an extermination so went to the scoreboard to save an hour and a half.
Was surprised to see the team worked their way back into the match, so there must be somethings working all right.

Talking Hawks 6 Points recap of the Geelong game.

Watched the first quarter on replay (best idea AFL.com have ever had!) and the umpiring noticeably didn't go our way, which I think left the team bamboozled, then the Cats confidence got up and they went into goal festival mode. I was shocked by Sicily just standing there to be tackled, and then Bruest had his nightmare moment.
Decided not to sit through an extermination so went to the scoreboard to save an hour and a half.
Was surprised to see the team worked their way back into the match, so there must be somethings working all right.
Sicily one on replay, he had 4 hawks flat footed and not moving near him. Sure he should have kicked it down the line but suspect he rightfully expected someone, anyone, to present. Bad on his behalf. Worse on those around him

Sicily one on replay, he had 4 hawks flat footed and not moving near him. Sure he should have kicked it down the line but suspect he rightfully expected someone, anyone, to present. Bad on his behalf. Worse on those around him
yeah watching that Sicily one on the broadcast is tough to blame him for as you simply can't see what's upfield. he might've literally only had geelong players ahead of him

Just in time for my drive home, great timing 👍

I expected to see a few more comments from those posters that have been fervently defending the selection of Reeves actually acknowledging that Meek performed a lot better and that our midfield as a whole was a lot more competitive and effective.

I wonder if the same vigour in defending Reeves with selective stats and other bluster will be reciprocated when defending Meeks position in the team?

Just been interestingly quiet!

(I get that Conway is relatively inexperienced)

One rule for Geelong and a different rule for Hawthorn, particularly Ginnivan.

I am so tired of it.

If Geelong or a Geelong player was treated with such disdain, Scott would be making a song and dance about it. About time we did. His treatment yesterday was disgusting. I cannot recall him dropping his knees. Yesterday, he was umpired AGAINST. He was NOT given free kicks he definitely earned.
If Ginnivan played for the Cats every single one of those frees would have been given and they would have named a stand after him

yeah watching that Sicily one on the broadcast is tough to blame him for as you simply can't see what's upfield. he might've literally only had geelong players ahead of him
That is all he had. De Koning was pretty much the only the player down the line

How did I guess Liam was going to discuss the rucks again!

Unfortunately Sis would be winning the reverse Coleman at the moment with 3,5 and 4 goals kicked against him, he is also goes into his shell very quickly if making a mistake early by doing the simple short kick sideways to make it someone else's problem. Plus he needs to work through being pushed in the back and out of the contest in one and completely blocked and knocked over in another contest, both resulting in goals to them, both times by playing in front and not at the shoulder of his opponent.
He is getting bumped into in so many contests now. Plus he suffers from not looking like he has been pushed in the back when he has been and vice versa - when he pushes an opponent under the ball in the side he gets penalised for an in the back. I’d love to see him with the ball in hand fwd of centre lacing it out to fwds. Move him around to disrupt the opposition. It shows that we need a plan B up back if he isn’t effective so start working it out now for the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expected to see a few more comments from those posters that have been fervently defending the selection of Reeves actually acknowledging that Meek performed a lot better and that our midfield as a whole was a lot more competitive and effective.

I wonder if the same vigour in defending Reeves with selective stats and other bluster will be reciprocated when defending Meeks position in the team?

Just been interestingly quiet!

(I get that Conway is relatively inexperienced)

Reeves looks and plays like the nicest 7ft AFL player to have ever played.

Meek might not be the most coordinated player to play the game, but smashes his body in when it’s his turn and I will take that every day of the week with a struggling team.

He is getting bumped into in so many contests now. Plus he suffers from not looking like he has been pushed in the back when he has been and vice versa - when he pushes an opponent under the ball in the side he gets penalised for an in the back. I’d love to see him with the ball in hand fwd of centre lacing it out to fwds. Move him around to disrupt the opposition. It shows that we need a plan B up back if he isn’t effective so start working it out now for the future.

Interestingly Geelong started Stewart on the wing in the first quarter at centre bounce and then he drifted down back.

Certainly something we could look at, as right now Sic is down in form and having to defend on the last line of defence. Seems to be outbodied more than I can remember in previous seasons, and by players who are ‘smaller than him’

Blanck going down has certainly hurt Sic

Interestingly Geelong started Stewart on the wing in the first quarter at centre bounce and then he drifted down back.

Certainly something we could look at, as right now Sic is down in form and having to defend on the last line of defence. Seems to be outbodied more than I can remember in previous seasons, and by players who are ‘smaller than him’

People forget Sic is not tall and is under the pump on the last line trying to defend 1-1.

I keep thinking about the days of us having Schoey and Tommy Murphy trying to play key position posts.

We really need to get that gorilla which will make everyone walk taller.

They showed it later and yes there were only geelong players ahead of him.

Oppo players are making more of an effort to bump into him early in contests. I also think they are dragging him into more contested marking situations as one on one he is hard to move and beat but with a mess of players around him his strength is nullified more.

So the afl admit Ginnivan was robbed and then said this:

"What I want to be really clear on is we don't have a different set of rules for a player; we don't have a different set of rules for a club or a team; we officiate our games all the same way within the rules."

Reminds me of the Kevin Bloody Wilson song about Santa Clause

"mums and dads just smell his breath and check his bloodshot eyes,
and don't believe him girls and boys 'cause he tells f**ken lies."

I have been to all three games and Sicily is getting pushed in the back or blocked almost on every contest. The umpires are not paying him any frees for these illegal tactics.

If he infringes against his opponent it is always a free kick.
I’m not sure if it is because he is James Sicily or he is the defender.
You can tell by his body language that it is getting to him.

He changed his game in the second half to just spoil or out body from the back of his opponents as he has been getting nothing from the umpires.

The club should make the AFL/Umpires aware of this tactic as it is taking away what makes him such a damaging defender.

Last edited:
Oppo players are making more of an effort to bump into him early in contests. I also think they are dragging him into more contested marking situations as one on one he is hard to move and beat but with a mess of players around him his strength is nullified more.
Spot on an astute pick up. He is being dragged into pack marking contests. That is not his strength as he is not that tall. Playing one on one and he will flog most opponents. Its certainly a tactic being used to take him out of the game. I will be watching at training. Lets see how we combat that as a team.

It is a bit of a concern that the Hawks best players this season have mostly been new players - Gini, Chol and D'Ambrosio.

Also, Chris Scott would have been the happiest man at the MCG seeing Weddle stand Cameron. Hawks do not have that many weapons and he would have been thrilled to see one of them taken out of the game.
Worpel and Frost have been our two best- they’ve been on the list for years…

Weddle shutting down Cameron was massive. Cameron was the one that made it a trashing this time last year by kicking 7 goals… the result could’ve been much worse on the weekend if Weds didn’t do the job…

Last edited:
So the afl admit Ginnivan was robbed and then said this:

"What I want to be really clear on is we don't have a different set of rules for a player; we don't have a different set of rules for a club or a team; we officiate our games all the same way within the rules."

Reminds me of the Kevin Bloody Wilson song about Santa Clause

"mums and dads just smell his breath and check his bloodshot eyes,
and don't believe him girls and boys 'cause he tells f**ken lies."
The only way to combat this, as in years before, is to become such a strong, cohesive team first unit that we can take umpires out of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back