Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad kicking is bad football.
Midfield couldn't get rolling at all.
No impact from so many of our leaders.

Go at it.

That's a disappointing start to the season. Two sides that looked bottom 6 to me.

The leaders (on field and upstairs) had a poor day. Sicily, Lewis and Newcombe had shockers. Tactically, Mitchell made some blues. Finn, being a very low impact player, was an odd choice as sub. It didn't work: he had no impact at all and in his absence their gun midfielders smashed us all day while freewheeling. Chol was our best tall all day, but was subbed off.

The midfield was poor, outside of Worpel who battled. Absolutely smashed in the clearances.

The positive for the day was that the recruits - Ginnivan, Massimo and Chol - were all good and should improve us as a side if they keep that up.

The forward line looked dangerous and each had their chances - but mostly wasted them.

Essendon are a nothing side. We had plenty of chances, but were not good enough to beat them, which is disappointing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pains me to say but we were beaten in the coaches box today.

Some really bizarre decisions by Sam and co.
Agreed, number 1 was starting the competitions best tagger on the bench. Our best mid was taken out of the game whilst theirs did as he liked

Either we play Finn or he plays in the twos.

Positives:
  • Recruits across the board played their role
  • Frost had quite a good game
  • Moore understated

Negatives:
  • Midfield smashed
  • set shot taking
  • Sicily taken out of the game to great effect

People knocking on the impact Wiz had: give him time, I personally think he showed quite a lot

Ward started strong, as did Mackenzie, but both shifted out of their best positions as the game wore on and you could tell the impact

Anyone else still think we dodged a bullet with Mackay?
I know which jumper I would’ve preferred him in today.
I’m assuming Chol must’ve been cramping, him being subbed off was as baffling a decision as Finn starting as sub.
Our shining light last year being our midfield were handed their asses in the centre today.
Ginni’s first half was sublime, Mass was good and Worps the only one in the centre that earnt his money today.

It was an afternoon of frustration
Round 1 so I hope that’s blown the cobwebs out

Hate losing to this mob even though they are further along with their “rebuild” 😂 and were expected to get the 4 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back