Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

Great mark. That footage still gives me concerns that he barely get away from Gawn. For someone who is meant to be quick he seems slow

His head was up the entire time, he was assessing his options up ahead and waiting for players to get open. No point running full pace with your head down and miss the right moment to pass it off.

His head was up the entire time, he was assessing his options up ahead and waiting for players to get open. No point running full pace with your head down and miss the right moment to pass it off.
A 5-10 metre burst to get away then gives him more options. Means he doesn't need to duck inside.

I'm just not sure he has that burst of speed in him even though he was quick in testing

What's really frustrating is the selections and playing players in new positions.

Late last year when we started having 2 kpds with sicily the 3rd we were competitive in defense. We have that opportunity now with ethan Phillips yet he can't get a game. If blanck was available he would be in the team with Frost as 2nd kpd.

Amon should be on the wing ffs.
Hardwick should never be in the forward line again. We don't have room in the forward line for him as well, we have so many half forwards flankers already.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Media’s coming for Mitch. Honeymoon period’s over!

Actually agree with him on the 1st quarter.

Sam being a big Tottenham supporter would see how Postecoglou has coached this year. He doesn't change his general attacking game plan no matter who he is playing. That has got all the fans onside even if results don't go his way. That 1st quarter was so badly coached by going away from our strengths to play safe boring footy that led to nothing

A few extra days ain't changing the talent that's at our disposal.

We've got a few million dollars to spend, let's make sure we don't have a spine that reads Frost, Scrimshaw, Reeves, Chol, Lewis next year

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

This. It’s a long way from striking any kind of fear.

Don’t feel sorry, some of his leading patterns, running under balls and then being brushed aside like a school kid need to be looked at.

As a leader what about some physical presence on the ground and crash a pack or two when the chips are down?

Letting petracca beat him in that last duel was a fitting end to a very average day.

Disappointing start to the year, no getting around it. Midfield looks really poor and id be lying if I said I wasn’t feeling a bit flat on how lacking we are in class at the moment. Obviously we have Day and Weddle and plenty of growth left in the group, but i was really hoping to see more from some of our young mids this year.

We also look really gassed early in games which is really surprising given how we’ve been hearing all off season about how fit we are. Teams are running us out of games in last quarters, and our pressure is really off. Losing the tackle count in both games the way we have is disappointing.

Still early in the season and this is clearly a development year so I’m looking forward to seeing how we respond. I’m sure we’ll get the payoff with some wins later in the season. Like last year, the difference between our best and worst is quite obvious but hopefully we continue to close that gap.

Hats off to Frosty who has been our best defender so far this year. Apart from the dropped mark, has done well in trying conditions. Great to see the Wiz getting his first goal. He knows how to get into the right spots and will be something special.

Didn’t think Reeves had a poor a game as some are making out given his opposition but he still needs to offer more.

I think the issue is that most of our best runners are playing off halfback or a staggers.

Sam being a big Tottenham supporter would see how Postecoglou has coached this year. He doesn't change his general attacking game plan no matter who he is playing. That has got all the fans onside even if results don't go his way. That 1st quarter was so badly coached by going away from our strengths to play safe boring footy that led to nothing

Every Hawthorn supporter should watch this and listen very closely to some of the messaging.

This whole BS that we don’t have the cattle is fine when you have a proper dip and fall short, but to turn up with a crap boring game style and then a side that lacks any spark and looks disinterested we should not have to cop.

To sit through that garbage on the weekend is not good enough from the club and I hope Mitchell and his full coaching staff are back on the tools today talking through what the heck happened to the planning and then the execution.

Some of our “leaders” efforts in the first two weeks have been well below par and this also needs to be addressed very quickly.

Will we beat Geelong this week playing a more attacking style, probably not because they have big forwards and big strong defenders and overall managed their list much better than we have.

Without Danger this week smashing though our players, our midfield needs to roll the sleeves up and take on Stanley Clark, Parfitt, Duncan, etc etc etc and break even at the very least this week and show us something.

Was away came home last night so missed the game. Thinking of watching the replay maybe not 😄 but from last week and reading many of the reports from Saturday’s game boys need to bring their mouth guards to training this week! It seems that our aggression at the man has dropped a couple of levels and all this talk of having a game plan to move the ball quickly/aggressively with dare over summer just isn’t happening. And we still seem to have issues in stopping sides with momentum when they put on a lot of scoreboard pressure in a quarter and then we are always playing catchup footy. Keep the faith we are young still developing going this Monday Go Hawks!

King made a good point in that AFL is an entertainment industry and whatever the heck that was in the first quarter it certainly was not entertaining.

I had my kids all pumped up to watch the Hawks live for the first time this year and ten minutes in they were playing Roblox on my phone (I couldn't really blame them).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King teeing off on hawthorn playing out his prediction. And the chipping around was a bit frustrating, but the reaction is overblown. Btw this tactic worked against Melbourne 2 seasons ago

I was in members area and while there was frustration, it was nowhere near a riot. Actual supporters can see the plan. Giving encouragement to Chol, ginni, wiz

Well, we seemed to lack overlapping run completely. We're extremely hesitant with no anticipation going forwards or backwards. It looks as if mentally they are still on the training track, running the play with no real defenders to contend with.

I knew Essendon was our best shot to win in the first five rounds, but we're playing far below where I hoped we would be. We're actually playing this year like I expected last year. It feels like structure and gamesmanship went backwards this off-season. Anyways, hopefully, they lift their teamwork a little and give us more to cheer for this year.

Was away came home last night so missed the game. Thinking of watching the replay maybe not 😄 but from last week and reading many of the reports from Saturday’s game boys need to bring their mouth guards to training this week! It seems that our aggression at the man has dropped a couple of levels and all this talk of having a game plan to move the ball quickly/aggressively with dare over summer just isn’t happening. And we still seem to have issues in stopping sides with momentum when they put on a lot of scoreboard pressure in a quarter and then we are always playing catchup footy. Keep the faith we are young still developing going this Monday Go Hawks!
Just watch the first quarter so you can understand the angst around here.

King made a good point in that AFL is an entertainment industry and whatever the heck that was in the first quarter it certainly was not entertaining.

I had my kids all pumped up to watch the Hawks live for the first time this year and ten minutes in they were playing Roblox on my phone (I couldn't really blame them).

Man, my boys were saying what the heck is this rubbish Dad and what are we doing. 🤦‍♂️

Yawn. Kingy acting like Mitch's tactics were actually executed correctly - did he even watch the presser?

Mitchell clearly stated in the presser that whilst he wanted the boys to avoid the talls in the backline, they misinterpreted his expectations saying "but 50 marks was taking it way too far". He also correctly stated that being so badly thumped in the middle, meant they consistently lost field position and those marks all had to be taken in the defensive half as a result.

I don't mind experimenting against a side where odds on, we lose 8-9 times out of 10 based on the relative strengths of the squads. Blew up in our face, in first quarter - but thats the cards you play.

The thing I'm genuinely pissed at is our weak effort in the last quarter - we just completely fell off and let Melbourne pile it on. Boys gave up. I really, really hate that.

What's really frustrating is the selections and playing players in new positions.

Late last year when we started having 2 kpds with sicily the 3rd we were competitive in defense. We have that opportunity now with ethan Phillips yet he can't get a game. If blanck was available he would be in the team with Frost as 2nd kpd.

Amon should be on the wing ffs.
Hardwick should never be in the forward line again. We don't have room in the forward line for him as well, we have so many half forwards flankers already.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I just posted similar in the Mitchell thread - Hawthorn got 4 new forwards over the off season in Ginivin, Chol, Gunston back and Watson. It makes no sense that Hardwick was being trained as a forward. Hawthorn has hundreds of forwards and Hardwick is their most reliable back. It is just dumb.

Yawn. Kingy acting like Mitch's tactics were actually executed correctly - did he even watch the presser?

Mitchell clearly stated in the presser that whilst he wanted the boys to avoid the talls in the backline, they misinterpreted his expectations saying "but 50 marks was taking it way too far". He also correctly stated that being so badly thumped in the middle, meant they consistently lost field position and those marks all had to be taken in the defensive half as a result.

I don't mind experimenting against a side where odds on, we lose 8-9 times out of 10 based on the relative strengths of the squads. Blew up in our face, in first quarter - but thats the cards you play.

The thing I'm genuinely pissed at is our weak effort in the last quarter - we just completely fell off and let Melbourne pile it on. Boys gave up. I really, really hate that.
Melbourne chipped it around at the end of the game too

Not ahead of any of those that were given games he didn’t though.

In no way would the majority of posters on here have ever been ok with him being in the side ahead of one of Newcombe, Nash, Worpel or Mackenzie.
Agree he wouldn't be picked in front of the above but isn't this why we have bench

Agreed.
Our boys were clearly spooked by the threat of Gawn, May and Lever to some degree.
The coaches messaging was clearly to not just go down the line and to shift Melbourne before finding a path forward, problem was IMO we just kept handing off for someone else to take the dangerous kick… and it didn’t come.

Second quarter we clearly decided to play with a bit more dare.

1st quarter was a s**t show, but it’s a bit rich for media to really dig in on it and ignore the coaches explanation for it.

Have to say I agree with almost everything Kingy said, apart from the clickbait headline “Are we being conned?”

This is my amateur assessment of our first two games:

v Essendon:
Perplexing choice of sub, which hasn’t been explained yet - happy to be corrected on that front. Might have won it with straighter kicks for goal but that would have masked the fact that we were soundly beaten out of the middle and in almost all other areas of the ground. The positive was that we continued to play the brand of fast, attacking football that so excited us last year.

v Melbourne:
What on earth was that first quarter all about? The kindest thing I can say is that Sam and the coaching group reckon we’re ahead of where we actually are and capable of adapting our game-plan to the circumstances. Even then, it’s not a game-plan that’s going to win us too many games or fans or friends. I think I can safely say that none of us want to see that again - ever! The next quarter or two was better but I reckon the players might’ve been shell-shocked from that first-quarter experience.

What next? I’m an unabashed HH fan and reckon he could become one of our elite players. We simply have to start getting games into him. Also, let’s please return to the brand of footy we played last year. This is going to be another development year and, as Kingy said, we can’t afford to waste time. Oh - and let’s fix our CBAs please!

Here’s to a much more positive playing style against the Cats… I don't care about the scoreboard; just want us to return to our brand of footy.

I think the heat on us is valid. I know improvement will come but when you can only dish up a total score of 38 whilst the oppositions 2 key defenders are out for half the game really means we’re looking at West Coast and Nth Melb territory and any criticism of where we are at or how we are being coached is warranted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back