Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckley was talking about Hawthorn being more advanced in the rebuild than North. Saying that Hawthorn are trying to take the next step in their evolution learning different ways to play while North are playing the attacking style we played 18-24 months ago.

Do you think we are learning the defensive side of the game as we have been very attacking so far in Mitchell’s reign.

The we will put it all together.

Do you think we are learning the defensive side of the game as we have been very attacking so far in Mitchell’s reign.

The we will put it all together.
I really like Buckley's opinion. I think we tried a way of playing and didn't execute as we'd like, so reverted to a style that worked. Hoping it is part of the learning process, but it was horrible to watch.

Turnovers from D'Ambrosio today. Perhaps drank his own bathwater last week. Super disappointing.
Reckon that’s a bit over the top. Even the best users turn the ball over. Especially when we’re getting absolutely pantsed and the dees pressure was hot.

Stoked with the pickup so far to be honest and even though he turned the ball over a bit he was far from our worst.

It was said when we picked him up that his weaknesses were his defensive side and that he was soft. Either that was complete BS or he’s improved significantly in this aspect. Has gone in hard at multiple contests and laid some strong tackles which at first surprised me.

Also, he’s still a kid and played how many games (legit not sure but guessing around 20)?

One of the players I’m least concerned about to be honest.

Our senior players is where the focus should be. Lewis, Duke, Nash etc need to lift immediately or we’ll be in some strife.

Reckon that’s a bit over the top. Even the best users turn the ball over. Especially when we’re getting absolutely pantsed and the dees pressure was hot.

Stoked with the pickup so far to be honest and even though he turned the ball over a bit he was far from our worst.

It was said when we picked him up that his weaknesses were his defensive side and that he was soft. Either that was complete BS or he’s improved significantly in this aspect. Has gone in hard at multiple contests and laid some strong tackles which at first surprised me.

Also, he’s still a kid and played how many games (legit not sure but guessing around 20)?

Our senior players is where the focus should be. Lewis, Duke, Nash etc need to lift immediately or we’ll be in some strife.
I rate the kid, don't worry. Just thought his kicking dropped off from the previous week, by a fair margin.

You know what hurts me most? Watched North today and they looked miles ahead of us already.

And yes, for the first time, I'm beginning to doubt Sam's coacjing ability.

If HH doesn't play next week, it'll make absolutely no sense.
Bit early to make a call on North yet, same as us. They’ve played with a lot of chutzpah so far, but they’ve still lost against GWS (good) and Freo ( who knows).

I just posted similar in the Mitchell thread - Hawthorn got 4 new forwards over the off season in Ginivin, Chol, Gunston back and Watson. It makes no sense that Hardwick was being trained as a forward. Hawthorn has hundreds of forwards and Hardwick is their most reliable back. It is just dumb.

I recall being at a very early match sim at Waverley and watched him as a forward but couldn’t work out his role as we had Ginni, Punky, Watson and Moore all playing the same type of role.

One final thought on the Dees match:

I take some comfort that we could clearly see the team implementing different game styles within a match.

This is important as the team matures. It's what Buckley was alluding too - part of the next evolution of the teams development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate the kid, don't worry. Just thought his kicking dropped off from the previous week, by a fair margin.
He refused to take the first option quite often and by the time he decided he'd try the most difficult kick of all the defence had set....a few seconds late all game I thought....trying to do a bit too much, hopefully finds the middle ground....he wasn't alone with his delayed decision making....

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m sick of the talk about the first quarter.

We were all worried we’d fall into the same trap of down the line to max and bombing it fwd to may and lever.

We tried something different but it didn’t work. For a few reasons but mainly because we weren’t winning it at the source or creating turnovers.

We were attacking from our backline so the dees had stacks of time to set up behind the ball and that’s what they do best.

We then weren’t brave enough to take some kicks on but melb would have been all over it anyway

The plan wasn’t a bad one but we never had them on the back foot.enough to execute.

My takeaway was that our mids got smashed and our full ground pressure was poor in the first and last quarters.

Also need a bit of ‘edge’. Not physical enough generally.

Interesting that we see Duke as senior player.

We were all worried we’d fall into the same trap of down the line to max and bombing it fwd to may and lever.

We tried something different but it didn’t work. For a few reasons but mainly because we weren’t winning it at the source or creating turnovers.

We were attacking from our backline so the dees had stacks of time to set up behind the ball and that’s what they do best.

We then weren’t brave enough to take some kicks on but melb would have been all over it anyway

The plan wasn’t a bad one but we never had them on the back foot.enough to execute.

My takeaway was that our mids got smashed and our full ground pressure was poor in the first and last quarters.

Your entire post is pretty much all about the 1st Qtr. FWIW I pretty much agree on all of it.

You say you’re sick of talk about the first quarter - then spend 7 paragraphs talking about the first quarter 😂

If you think about it, if you listed our most important players before the season, all are either down on form or out injured

Perhaps the hawks are being taken more seriously now, and key players. Sicily, Lewis being planned for.

You say you’re sick of talk about the first quarter - then spend 7 paragraphs talking about the first quarter 😂
haha true … but at the risk of talking about it more … my point was the criticism of the tactics and subsequent pile on is misdirected.

The tactic didn’t fail because it was a bad idea, it failed because of more fundamental issues in our game & the quality of the opposition.

haha true … but at the risk of talking about it more … my point was the criticism of the tactics and subsequent pile on is misdirected.

The tactic didn’t fail because it was a bad idea, it failed because of more fundamental issues in our game & the quality of the opposition.

I’ve been a Hawk supporter for many years, through the bad times and the good times, I can say that was the worst quarter of football I’ve ever seen a Hawthorn team play. I was with 2 Hawk supporters: we were just looking at each other saying “what the hell is going on?”

At one stage someone called out “they’re up to 50 marks” - it was embarrassing!

Now I read on here that Melbourne is the greatest club, Gawne is one of the all time great ruckmen, we had to play that way to avoid him

Really?

It’s all on the coach: don’t blame the players.

I’ve been a Hawk supporter for many years, through the bad times and the good times, I can say that was the worst quarter of football I’ve ever seen a Hawthorn team play. I was with 2 Hawk supporters: we were just looking at each other saying “what the hell is going on?”

Now I read on here that Melbourne is the greatest club, Gawne is one of the all time great ruckmen, we had to play that way to avoid him

Really?

Was it really worse than round 14 2009?

Really?

I think you may be losing your mind if you think that was the worst. Do you not remember the Port game last year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back