Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

We clearly didn’t execute the ‘plan’.

How much is coaches fault vs players is hard to know but from outside looks like more on coaching staff as team looked confused. We don’t really have footskills or marking targets to go slow. By the time we got ball into the forward half of ground dees were so well set up can see why players hesitated.
Lets just get this ffin straight Melb were already setup defensively. Go watch the game again to see. It was the only reason we were trying to stretch them by switching. Unfortunately we were not good enough to switch and move the ball. We r not alone here. The bulldogs just the week before had a similar issue in transitioning. The fact is we were poor defensively compared to melbourne who had the ground covered. We still had to find holes in it. I think we had Massimo miss his kick and they went and scored. It spooked them they went into their shells a bit. In short we were soft as a team in that first qtr.

We came out harder and stronger in that second qtr and surprise surprise we took it up to them. We just couldnt sustain that effort and physicality. Melb i maintain our the best team defensively in the game. They taught us a lesson in contested hard footbal

The Four Pillars did warn us all pre-game that the Demons are best defensive side in the comp and we’d find it hard to get through.

The upside is we’re currently 4th in the comp for marks inside 50 while being routinely smashed in the middle and having large periods in the last two games where we’ve not been able to get the ball forward or centre.

Imagine what we could do if we start to halve contests in the middle?

Talking Hawks 6 Points Review

The Four Pillars did warn us all pre-game that the Demons are best defensive side in the comp and we’d find it hard to get through.

The upside is we’re currently 4th in the comp for marks inside 50 while being routinely smashed in the middle and having large periods in the last two games where we’ve not been able to get the ball forward or centre.

Imagine what we could do if we start to halve contests in the middle?

Taking a mark at 49m is "inside 50," but barely a player in the comp takes the kick anymore. They always pass off - I'd like to see the stat for shots generated per mark inside 50, which is a much better stat.

Marks inside 30 are a better measurement for effective entries

I know the method has pissed a lot of us off but gee the overreact has been crazy, media and all.

They started this rebuild under *ing Paul Roos in what - 2015? Their product is near on a decade of hard work. We simply dont have the right to be as good as them right now. They’re a good side and should honestly be aiming for top 2.

Taking a mark at 49m is "inside 50," but barely a player in the comp takes the kick anymore. They always pass off - I'd like to see the stat for shots generated per mark inside 50, which is a much better stat.

Marks inside 30 are a better measurement for effective entries
Yep - a team which defends exceptionally well in their back half (like Melbourne) will concede a mark 48 - 53m out on a tight angle as they know the likelihood of a goal from there is remote. The next kick invariably gets spoilt or intercepted and off they go to the races on offence.

Hodge on SEN just spoke on the hawks on the weekend.

Just said Sam was right to try something different in the first quarter, we wanted to win and there maybe wasn’t a way for us to do that pound for pound, so trying something and really going for it showed that we’re looking to think outside the box.

As soon as it was clear it didn’t work, he course corrected and we actually competed really well for big parts of the game, just weren’t able to put on the scoreboard.

Thinks it was mostly a positive experience in terms of Sam learning and our development.

Just said Sam was right to try something different in the first quarter, we wanted to win and there maybe wasn’t a way for us to do that pound for pound, so trying something and really going for it showed that we’re looking to think outside the box.

As soon as it was clear it didn’t work, he course corrected and we actually competed really well for big parts of the game, just weren’t able to put on the scoreboard.

Thinks it was mostly a positive experience in terms of Sam learning and our development.
Hilarious that most of the flack is from pundits and people who's closest experience to coaching is shouting at their kids under 8's game.
Insane overreaction from the media imo.

I know the method has pissed a lot of us off but gee the overreact has been crazy, media and all.

They started this rebuild under *ing Paul Roos in what - 2015? Their product is near on a decade of hard work. We simply dont have the right to be as good as them right now. They’re a good side and should honestly be aiming for top 2.
Yep, how quickly we forget the media last year and how they wanted all sorts of changes. This year, we have been poor (very similar to last with poor skill errors), however for mine, the biggest difference is that we are getting slaughtered in the middle. Nashy/Jai need to win some ball. Reeves needs to get fitter.

We have a potential forward line this year - it wouldn't matter who was there with our pace of entry at the moment as well as horrid kicking. We are crucifying our depleted backs by not being in the contest in the middle.

On On The Couch, Bucks said something similar to Hodgey while G Lyon was more aligned with Kingy's point of view.

Who's right - or rather, whose opinion is closer to the mark? I guess time will tell...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hilarious that most of the flack is from pundits and people who's closest experience to coaching is shouting at their kids under 8's game.
Insane overreaction from the media imo.
Media aren't the only culprits, unfortunately...

I think our 1st QTR debacle can be fairly easily explained. Our inexperience was on full show.

One of our key goals was clearly to not kick long to a contest where Gawn, Lever or May could intercept. We followed those instructions but just not very well at all. Almost followed the instructions too strictly.

I think both coaches and players would have learnt a hell of a lot off that 1st QTR. We'll be able to go to school on this tactic of not kicking long to key interceptors and we'll be better for it. May even see a variation of this up against Stewart this weekend.

Another harsh lesson learnt for a young coaching and playing group which in the long term we'll benefit from.

On On The Couch, Bucks said something similar to Hodgey while G Lyon was more aligned with Kingy's point of view.

Who's right - or rather, whose opinion is closer to the mark? I guess time will tell...
Buckley was talking about Hawthorn being more advanced in the rebuild than North. Saying that Hawthorn are trying to take the next step in their evolution learning different ways to play while North are playing the attacking style we played 18-24 months ago.

What did Jono Brown think ? I'm absolutely dying to know 🙂

Buckley was talking about Hawthorn being more advanced in the rebuild than North. Saying that Hawthorn are trying to take the next step in their evolution learning different ways to play while North are playing the attacking style we played 18-24 months ago.
Lyon is and always has been a huge Clarko fan. So it wasnt a suprise to see him pumping that side of it up

I was probably looking too much into it but almost felt like the start of promoting Sam v Clarko in a month or so

What did Jono Brown think ? I'm absolutely dying to know 🙂
I don't recall - perhaps becaise I don't rate his opinion as much as the other two. :)

Browny did seem sympathetic towards 2MP's bump on Cunningham, which somewhat proves my point above.

watching Weddle in the forward line again and all I want is more. He isn't far off being the best player in the team. If he plays forward and floats back we basically have a modern CHF that can offer zone breaking run and defence, watching him run at full flight is special

I hope his stint in defence is coming to an end soon.

watching Weddle in the forward line again and all I want is more. He isn't far off being the best player in the team. If he plays forward and floats back we basically have a modern CHF that can offer zone breaking run and defence, watching him run at full flight is special

I hope his stint in defence is coming to an end soon.
Can also play 2nd ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back