Fixture 2011 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

May 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Barcelona
NAB Cup fixture released tomorrow. Home and Away season released on Friday. Thoughts/wishes ahead of the release?

I'm guessing the AFL will not use us as the "draw card" team for the big games, as they did last season, which saw a concession of three away games instead of the minimum four for any Vic team.

I think we could only be better for it if we played 6 top eight teams of last season twice, but I may be alone in wanting that.

We won't make the finals next year IMO, and if we do we'll be making up the numbers. That said, I think the youngsters would benefit from playing against Collingwood, St Kilda and Geelong twice, if only for the video session during the following week. I'd like to see massive improvement from the likes of Zaharakis, Hurley, Melksham, Howlett et al over the next couple of years, so the more they learn from playing against the best the better.

I'd like to see us play Carlton, Hawthorn and Richmond twice as well, just because I love beating them.

Others, meh.
Gold Coast at the MCG, just to see how they go.
Essendon v West Wyalong-Girral Bulldogs???... maybe in Demetriou's expanded comp by 2022.

Just hoping we get a fair draw, we finished in the bottom four so we really should be playing a lot of the bottom eight sides twice.
One super important thing will be the timing of the byes. Ideally you'd love to have one mid year and one towards the end of the year. To get one in the first 3 weeks or so would be such a waste. I'm guessing that Melb, WCE and GC will have the byes in the first three weeks.

NAB Cup fixture released tomorrow. Home and Away season released on Friday. Thoughts/wishes ahead of the release?

I think we could only be better for it if we played 6 top eight teams of last season twice, but I may be alone in wanting that.

I wouldn't mind playing Sydney, St Kilda, Hawthorn, Carlton, and the Bulldogs twice, and we're def going to play Collingwood twice. Doesn't seem so bad does it?
(I really wanna play Sydney in Melbourne again) as well as home games against the Suns, Lions, Eagles and Dockers.

NAB Cup draw

POOL 1 (Games in Adelaide)

* Adelaide
* Melbourne
* Port Adelaide

POOL 2 (Games in Melbourne)

* Carlton
* Richmond
* Collingwood

POOL 3 (Games in Perth)

* West Coast
* Hawthorn
* Fremantle

POOL 4 (Games in Melbourne)

* Essendon
* Brisbane Lions
* St Kilda

POOL 5 (Games in Sydney)

* Greater Western Sydney
* Sydney Swans
* Gold Coast

POOL 6 (Games in Melbourne)

* Geelong
* North Melbourne
* Western Bulldogs

Thought they might pool Bris, GC and a big Melbourne club for games in Brisbane. Works fine by me though.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104572/default.aspx
They [Coll/Carl/Rich] will do battle in a series of 40-minute, lightning premiership-style night games on Saturday, February 12.

"Supporters will see their team play twice and, all up, there will be three matches played during a three-hour period," said the AFL's chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104572/default.aspx

- Essendon, the Brisbane Lions and St Kilda at Etihad Stadium, February 18 (Friday night)

Thought they might pool Bris, GC and a big Melbourne club for games in Brisbane. Works fine by me though.

The Gabba is unavailable until the last week of March (first week of the Premiership season due to the cricket) and Carrara is unavailable until May and due to no other suitable venues being available in SEQ, both Brisbane and Gold Coast need to travel for the NAB Cup/Challenge which sucks.

It sucks for us as we need to travel all weeks, it's been the case for a few years now that's probably why we get round 1 at the Gabba and Gold Coast the bye. We do all the Pies travel (4 times in total during the season) in the pre season lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we will play gold coast up there. Just as there is a big contingent of essendon expats up there to bolster the crowds/atmosphere.

Will be interesting to see GC play Brisbane in the future, wonder if they will always be played at the gabba?

I reckon we will play gold coast up there. Just as there is a big contingent of essendon expats up there to bolster the crowds/atmosphere.

Will be interesting to see GC play Brisbane in the future, wonder if they will always be played at the gabba?

I reckon we will play GC there too, hopefully we get to play them twice!
And I think it'd be great for the first QLD bash to be at the Gabba and the 2nd at Carrara.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back