2012 Umpires' Pets

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 3, 2010
In the trenches.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well we're only three games in but we can already see a pattern starting to form. It seems the AFL are doing everything in their power to get a couple of struggling teams over the line with Poort leading the way with a massive 78 Frees For.

However if we look at overall differential, West Coast lead the way with +32. Could this be the reason why West Coast are on top of the ladder?

*Interestingly, in 2011 West Coast led all clubs in Frees For and a differential of +69, while Poort led all clubs with a differential of +79 (yet still finished second last). Both clubs are on track to smash their 2011 numbers.

Not only are Melbourne the softest club in the league, they are also despised by the umpires.

And Adelaide continue to get shafted by the umpires with a paltry 44 FF in 2012.

Code:
                     [B]FF[/B]       [B]FA[/B]     [B]Differential[/B]
West Coast           74       42         [B]32[/B]
North Melbourne      65       48         17
Poort                [B]78[/B]       62         16  
Richmond             67       53         14
Carlton              57       51          6
Collingwood          54       53          1
Sydney               61       61          0
Hawthorn             61       61          0
GWS                  61       61          0
Essendon             66       67         -1
Gold Coast           55       59         -4
St Kilda             65       70         -5
Adelaide             [B]44[/B]       49         -5
Fremantle            62       70         -8
Brisbane             55       64         -9
Footscray            46       57        -11
Geelong              59       72        -13
Melbourne            52       [B]73[/B]        [B]-21[/B]

No surprises to see Selwood near the top of the ladder when it comes to free kicks, but surely having 20% of his club's FF is taking the urine.

However the new umpires' love child is Shuey.

Code:
                   [B]FF[/B]
Luke Shuey         13
Joel Selwood       12
Dominic Cassisi    11
Hamish Hartlett     9
Alex Rance          9
Jobe Watson         9
Drew Petrie         8
Aaron Sandilands    8
Andrew Swallow      8

Norf and Poort...nice to see the AFL looking after the less fortunate amongst us.

Some serial divers in that list for most frees for but I'm surprised to not see more Selwoods in there.

Norf and Poort...nice to see the AFL looking after the less fortunate amongst us.

Some serial divers in that list for most frees for but I'm surprised to not see more Selwoods in there.

I concur, Horf and Poort are the biggest stagers.

The bummers stage alot as well but due to their inept tackling they have reasonable stats when they should be the lowest.

Cassisi should get more holding the ball decisions for his act of jumping on the ball once it is free instead of trying to move it on. But he instead gets in the back decisions as he falls forward or sometimes high as he ducks his head. These keep him in the game, as he is too slow for AFL now.

I am perplexed as how HH is near the top of this list. He is rarely near an opposing player.

I concur, Horf and Poort are the biggest stagers.

The bummers stage alot as well but due to their inept tackling they have reasonable stats when they should be the lowest.

I assume you mean 'Horf' as in Horforn........Its pretty simple really. The quickest teams get to the ball first and get the frees. The slowest teams consequently give them away. Looking at Horforns stats i would presume thats 61 frees against Buddy and 61 for Thyril.

Go harder at the ball and you will be rewarded. Nothing to see here.

So what is NM being rewarded for?

Code:
               CP  
Sydney         472
Fremantle      472
Carlton        467
Essendon       466
Adelaide       442
West Coast     436
Hawthorn       431
Poort          427
Footscray      424
Gold Coast     423
Geelong        422
St Kilda       418
Collingwood    417
Brisbane       416
Nth Melbourne  414
GWS            411
Melbourne      399
Richmond       393

Luke Shuey has learnt the art of Selwooding.

Selwood's technique appears to have been adopted by young West Coast midfielder Luke Shuey, who was awarded seven free kicks in his team's 108-point thrashing of the Demons on Saturday.

The Geelong star recently tweeted: "@lukeshuey is getting better at drawing free kicks then myself [sic] #jealous"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 4 update:

West Coast, NM and Poort all further their totals with some quality "Geischan" love.

Code:
                     [B]FF[/B]       [B]FA[/B]     [B]Differential[/B]
West Coast           [B]107[/B]      65         [B]42[/B]
North Melbourne      87       66         21
Poort                97       79         18  
Richmond             84       73         11
Carlton              73       73          0
Collingwood          71       72         -1
Sydney               79       83         -4
Essendon             88       83          5
St Kilda             77       82         -5
GWS                  85       79         -6
Brisbane             73       79         -6
Gold Coast           70       77         -7
Fremantle            74       82         -8
Hawthorn             84       [B]93[/B]         -9
Geelong              79       89        -10
Footscray            66       77        -11
Adelaide             [B]62[/B]       73        -11
Melbourne            72       [B]93[/B]        [B]-21[/B]

Selwood quickly reclaims his title.

Code:
                   [B]FF[/B]
Joel Selwood       15
Luke Shuey         14
Dominic Cassisi    13

draft_lens14147581module125184781photo_1286726231umpiredog.jpg

Why haven't you been updating the 'worst defence in the AFL' thread weekly? Is it because it no longer shows the results that you want it to?

Why did you stop updating the Tippett/Schulz thread last year but you've been continually updating the Walkett/Butchulz thread this year?

What about McBurney's love affair with St Kilda? I swear he still wears his old Saints jumper under his umpires top.

Funnily enough a close relly of his is a mad Saints fan.

Why haven't you been updating the 'worst defence in the AFL' thread weekly? Is it because it no longer shows the results that you want it to?

Oh hai gp. How's that sand going? All out yet?

No, tbh I had forgotten about it, and if I had been updating it, I'm pretty sure that it would still show that over the last 26 games, Poort's defence has been utterly s**t. :thumbsu:

FWIW, i've been quite busy with other threads and forums, plus I've had a few more committments at work trying to get everything organised before I go on parental leave. The next Dangerfield/Tippett is due this Sunday/Monday at the latest (9 days late - he's been coming for a while)! (tired face) I have a few weeks off coming up, so if I get time when I'm not sleeping or caring for my children, I'll be sure to update it. :thumbsu:

Why did you stop updating the Tippett/Schulz thread last year but you've been continually updating the Walkett/Butchulz thread this year?

Sometimes it gets a little tiresome trolling through the stats all the time, and then compiling them. I'm not a machine like D_Umbass, and last season I was juggling studying a graduate diploma, work, sport and looking after a 12-18 month old.

Plus did you see Adelaide play last year? We were woeful and while Tippett battled hard, he was aped by the umpires everyweek and suffered from poor delivery. So with everything else going on in my RL it wasn't really a priority.

So gp, if I happen to stop updating any of my threads this season, please feel free to PM me or have a go at updating them yourself.

I do appreciate your concern though sweetheart! :thumbsu:

WishinAintGettin said:
The next Dangerfield/Tippett is due this Sunday/Monday at the latest

I hope for your sake it's the next Tippett. If not, it'll be quite traumatic having your newborn burst out of the womb at full speed and head-first into the nearest post.

But srsly, good luck :thumbsu:

This thread needs more: When FF's or FA's aren't paid during the match as in:

That was clearly holding the ball but the FA wasn't paid, or

That was clearly a punch in the back of the head but the FF wasn't paid.

This underhanded favouritism can hurt/favour teams just as much as those that are paid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back