Preview 2013 Draft/Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would definitely be keen on Carlile or Firrito (whatahead though!).

Gotta remember Warnock is 28 now too so he won't stay good forever.

Imagine our 2014 starting line-up if we got Carlile and Daisy for example:

B: Warnock, Carlile, Murphy
HB: Harbrow, Thompson, Broughton
C: Bennell, Ablett, Thomas
HF: Stanley, Lynch, Martin
F: Day/May, Dixon, Matera

R: Smith, Swallow, O Meara

Inter: Prestia, Brennan, Rischitelli S: Russell

People left out and not quite spot on (not too mention what may happen between now and then... for all we know Wilko could become best 22;)) but you get the idea! That's a finals side right there.

Carlisle? Isn't he the guy that Sammy Day kicked 3 on when we played Port last year? :confused:

Didn't he mainly play on Trengove then they switched him to Carlile when he started dominating?

The problem could be our salary cap, got to have enough money to keep Swallow, O'Merea, Bennell ect when they become stars. Got to be careful in free agency that we don't over commit. :)

Putting together that 22 and still managing to leave out some players which I would normally have in like Mckenzie, Tape etc. has me thinking... if Hunt does not improve to become close to an A grade midfielder, does he even slot in to our future finals brigade? Its a sad but real question...

Putting together that 22 and still managing to leave out some players which I would normally have in like Mckenzie, Tape etc. has me thinking... if Hunt does not improve to become close to an A grade midfielder, does he even slot in to our future finals brigade? Its a sad but real question...

Hunt is better than McKenzie in my opinion. So its more on the onus on the younger midfielders to develop to their "potential" and push the likes of Ablett, Hunt, Rischitelli out

As it stands Bennell is the only one who has shown that consistently in 2012.

Lets see what 2013 brings and who wants to succeed.

I think a couple of our players should be potential trade bait to be honest, where do we fit all our key positions, and midfielders??

Remember Martin coming in next year, Lonergan also. All of a sudden the likes of McKenzie, Tape, Hutchins, May, Day, Lynch have to want it more than the others, and gifting of senior games are over in my opinion. Very telling year for McKenzie - needs to show something over the next 12-24 months or he should be traded while he still has value (he is my whipping boy)

Back McKenzie in guys. I have complete faith.

Frase, great post, great point. His on field capabilities currently aren't worth his contract. Aren't the AFL paying most of it outside the cap though?
He is in our 22, but not what his salary suggests. I hope he would take a significant pay cut at the end of his contract and stay with us.
Can't see him going back to League to be honest.

i dont think backman and midfielders are the problem atm, we need forwards.. badly
that is where we should be putting all our effort towards..

True but you can never stop solidifying your backline. Warnock won't be good forever.

True but you can never stop solidifying your backline. Warnock won't be good forever.
yeah but thats where youth and building your club comes into play. we have nearly a full mature aged backline in broughts, warnock, murphy, harbrow and bock.. that leaves only a few spots to be filled in with youth.
injuries show your clubs depth.

look at our forward mature aged players.. brennan, brown.... few midfielders pushing down for a rest, thats it
its mostly filled in with kids, may, day, lynch, matera
we need a good mix here, this is where trading some good solid mature aged bodies from either the afl, vfl, sanfl or wafl will help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah but thats where youth and building your club comes into play. we have nearly a full mature aged backline in broughts, warnock, murphy, harbrow and bock.. that leaves only a few spots to be filled in with youth.
injuries show your clubs depth.

look at our forward mature aged players.. brennan, brown.... few midfielders pushing down for a rest, thats it
its mostly filled in with kids, may, day, lynch, matera
we need a good mix here, this is where trading some good solid mature aged bodies from either the afl, vfl, sanfl or wafl will help.

I'd rather get another key defender than nothing at all. There is very little out there which are available.

Big article in the Herald Sun about Boyd as being a potential #1 pick. Both the Dogs and us are keen.

Current Eastern Rangers Coach (who Boyd plays for at the moment, who also Patton played for) said Patton and Boyd are very different types of forwards. Boyd isn't really a brute contested marking type forward like Patton or Cloke. He's a lead up forward. Obviously still very talented, but a different beast.

Big article in the Herald Sun about Boyd as being a potential #1 pick. Both the Dogs and us are keen.

Current Eastern Rangers Coach (who Boyd plays for at the moment, who also Patton played for) said Patton and Boyd are very different types of forwards. Boyd isn't really a brute contested marking type forward like Patton or Cloke. He's a lead up forward. Obviously still very talented, but a different beast.

Yep says needs to work on imposing a contest. Weird for a guy who's 102kg.

A leading forward is not what we're looking for. We have two in May and Lynch, and arguably even Day. Dixon is really our only contested marking forward.

Thought he was the brute we need but your right, we don't need another lead up FWD. Wouldn't mind us looking at another half back flanker.

Sure hope our forwards work out. There's not a lot of promising options on the table this year.

If we cannot get a contested marking KPF I would like us to target a real quality HB flanker. We lack any real young quality in that department I think.

Love the look of Scharenberg (took this from Knightmares phantom draft thread)

#11 - Matt Scharenberg (SA – Def/Mid)Height: 189cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 18/09/1995
Recruited from: Glenelg
Style:
Player comparison: Sam Gilbert
Range: 5-20
Profile: Scharenberg is a high production back flanker who has been a standout player for some time. Scharenberg stands out with his ability down back to read it and take those intercept marks. Really good size and has a strong body which will appeal as well as his ability to play right away. Above average athlete. Will need to clean up his ball use and decision making some if he is to continue to play off a back flank because the consistency by foot it’s nearly there.

I suppose as far as contested marks go we could look at someone like Cameron Conlon. However, I believe he is out with injury for the next 3 months.

back flanker? We can have a lot of players run through there?! Back Flanker in my opinion, just needs to be a good user of the ball and provide the drive and setup out of defence.

Harbrow, McKenzie, Shaw, Stanley, Seb Tape? Jack Martin even?

Harbrow is not super young, Mckenzie is more of a wingman and needs to be more accountable, Shaw is good at playing HBF but I prefer him on a forward flank or wing, Stanley is wasted in defense IMO as he can do important roles in the midfield and provide awesome pressure going forward and Seb Tape is more of a lock down defender. Jack Martin will be a superstar and will spend a lot of time in the middle with stints forward.

We need a Brendon Goddard type player. We lack young depth in that department.

Hutchins is a player like that. Provides real drive off half-back. Shaw would be the other I would put there. He's probably our best player offensively.

Harbrow may not be super young, but he's still young at 24. Should have 6 years left in him I'd say.

The other one is Timmy Sumner. Fairly sure they're grooming him to be the Yarran type half-back, capable of big gallops from the defensive 50 and into attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back