Opinion 2014 Draft ( Live discussion ) Mod notice post #6629

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think we looked most dangerous last season when we had three tall forwards on the ground.

For mine Henderson plays permanent forward, Kreuzer rucks for most of the game changing with Casboult in the forward line and one of either Jones or Watson plays forward as well.

It's good to see both Jones and Watson doing the hard yards early, i see that Jones has been working on things for the past few weeks and Watson was working away from the club as soon as the season finished.

Hopefully we finally have guys genuinely competing for spots in the team, it can only strengthen us moving forward.
Would really like to get Reece McK. in as a project FF to develop whilst finding out if Jones and Watson are up to it. We still lack a Beast!

IMO 19 would be too high for Garlett.
He'd be more than likely still there at 28.
Would prefer a Menadue etc. as I will miss 38. Are we really going to pick up a new McLean and a new Garlett?

Here's what I want:

All draftees to be competitive. Hard working, tough, with a will to succeed above all else.
An outside mid that can compete on the inside when needed but works hard to spread when we have the ball to provide an option. Speed and the ability to hit targets by foot would be nice too.
An aggressive fearless inside mid who attacks each contest to win the ball, and does all the one percenters if he doesn't have the ball. AKA Peter Bampton.

Bampton looks 'noooice', solid unit, disposal a bit ???. Reckon you might like Dean GORE also. SA have a few likely types in this years draft.

Haven't really seen anyone addressing the 'Project Ruck' Mick wants. I have only read the top 23 in the Phantom Draft, but not a lot there from a Ruck POV.
Anyone got a longer list of the 2014 combine prospects, or care to share an opinion on a Rookie/Project Ruckman?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see the Dogs overlooking him twice with picks 26 and 27. They could be a problem for us because they are also in need of outside midfielders and would also take a key position player if they slide

That's a good point, although I can see Garlett dividing a number of RM's out there.
I like him, but there'll be plenty that won't.
Once we get into the 20's and beyond of this years draft we could see some interesting selections by clubs.

Going to have my fingers and toes all crossed for Paul Ahern to fall to 19. I've mentioned it a few times but he'd be great for us. Goal kicking mid with plenty of weapons. Want want want!

And if Touk Miller could fall to our next pick... played mostly as an inside clearance mid this year... but is extremely dangerous when put forward and the ball hits the deck (TAC Cup Grand Final 4th quarter) and is VERY strong defensively. Could develop him in the pocket this year with the potential to move into the midfield later over the next couple of years.

Haven't really seen anyone addressing the 'Project Ruck' Mick wants. I have only read the top 23 in the Phantom Draft, but not a lot there from a Ruck POV.
Anyone got a longer list of the 2014 combine prospects, or care to share an opinion on a Rookie/Project Ruckman?
By project ruck, do we mean a Mike Pyke type, perhaps we could look at the Irish guy from the recruit show or Brady the volleyballer.

I reckon it's completely pointless taking and developing an 18yo bean pole who we invest in years of resources developing who if he comes good will more than likely move to one of our competitors. Unless there is just a freak Nice Nat type athlete I would rather go for a mature age Cameron Wood type.

Going to have my fingers and toes all crossed for Paul Ahern to fall to 19. I've mentioned it a few times but he'd be great for us. Goal kicking mid with plenty of weapons. Want want want!

And if Touk Miller could fall to our next pick... played mostly as an inside clearance mid this year... but is extremely dangerous when put forward and the ball hits the deck (TAC Cup Grand Final 4th quarter) and is VERY strong defensively. Could develop him in the pocket this year with the potential to move into the midfield later over the next couple of years.
I suspect you will be disappointed, don't reckon any chance Ahearn gets to pick 19, most regard him as the best mid outside of Petracca, Brayshaw and Heeney.

And they traded Rhys Stanley to Geelong.
So we'd have to take him at #19 if we wanted him IMO.

If we had have felt confident in securing Boyd in 2015, we may have had little need to reach for the likes of McKenzie at #19
I wonder whether the situation has changed now?

If we don't take McKenzie here, I just feel we'll land ourselves a Western Jet player.
Will likely miss out on Laverde and maybe even Duggan. The Ellis name just feels right here :)

The Saints then possibly take McKenzie leaving us with likely another mid.......why not another Western Jet in Menadue? Viojo-Rainbow?
Wouldn't mind Lonie or Miller either.

How many more weeks of this have we got? :straining:

If we had have felt confident in securing Boyd in 2015, we may have had little need to reach for the likes of McKenzie at #19
I wonder whether the situation has changed now?

If we don't take McKenzie here, I just feel we'll land ourselves a Western Jet player.
Will likely miss out on Laverde and maybe even Duggan. The Ellis name just feels right here :)

The Saints then possibly take McKenzie leaving us with likely another mid.......why not another Western Jet in Menadue? Viojo-Rainbow?
Wouldn't mind Lonie or Miller either.

How many more weeks of this have we got? :straining:

Think we've still got about 6 weeks of this, so the speculation will only ramp up from here.
I just wonder because we've landed KJ and Jones during the trade period, we may just go for mids to build on our current crop.
And with the imminent retirement of Judd in 12 months, Robbo and Brock all but gone I can see us wanting to get some good players in there at 19 & 28.

I reckon it's completely pointless taking and developing an 18yo bean pole who we invest in years of resources developing who if he comes good will more than likely move to one of our competitors. Unless there is just a freak Nice Nat type athlete I would rather go for a mature age Cameron Wood type.
I don't think the Jacobs go-home factor would be as strong this time - MK, CW and RW are all over 25, whereas we had 4 all roughly the same age.

Draft guru Knightmare suggested we snare one of those US-basketballers than came to draft camp. At 22yo, they could go on the category-b list for a couple of years and still debut quicker than an 18yo rookie, if at all.

Think we've still got about 6 weeks of this, so the speculation will only ramp up from here.
I just wonder because we've landed KJ and Jones during the trade period, we may just go for mids to build on our current crop.
And with the imminent retirement of Judd in 12 months, Robbo and Brock all but gone I can see us wanting to get some good players in there at 19 & 28.

Maybe Rogers and co haven't made their minds up just yet, either.
Easy for us to say this but I hope we stick to our initial strategy.

There is another kid that no one is talking about, yet he looked like an interesting prospect to me.
Taylor Grace looked a very nice player. Maybe not a line-breaker but just someone who keeps finding ball in hand and uses it well. Pick #61 / #65?

By project ruck, do we mean a Mike Pyke type, perhaps we could look at the Irish guy from the recruit show or Brady the volleyballer.

The Irish guy got picked up by Geelong. The Volleyball guy is mid 20s already.

Would Blakely be in our sights? Only seen his highlights but he's rated pretty high by the draft watchers on the drafting board. Reminded me of Callum Ward.

Yes, I'm sure we would be on the list of names we take into the draft. However, he wouldn't be one of our first options IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back