Opinion 2014 Draft ( Live discussion ) Mod notice post #6629

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure about your picks #2 & #3 LemmingMaster
I think they may be flipped around :)

Can't see us taking Vickers-Willis and pretty sure we won't.
Adelaide couldn't possibly take Goddard, could they?
Langford higher than Lever? Don't see it myself.

Jets boys are being favoured pretty heavily there. All four of the key lads do look as though they'll go top 30.

Liking Wilkinson also but can't stop thinking of another Wilkinson that hasn't fared quite as well :)

That is not a draft order thing, sorry I should have said that, it is just a rough rankings.

I've honestly not seen enough of Lever, I've heard he is going with pick 3 anyway, so I know that he will be drafted higher than my rankings.

Still Lever is meant to be a Gibson/Maxwell.... He is not blessed with speed but has amazing ability to read the play and direct traffic in the backline. Not sure I want to rank someone like that as high as pick 3.

I've honestly not seen enough of Lever, I've heard he is going with pick 3 anyway, so I know that he will be drafted higher than my rankings.

Still Lever is meant to be a Gibson/Maxwell.... He is not blessed with speed but has amazing ability to read the play and direct traffic in the backline. Not sure I want to rank someone like that as high as pick 3.

I've seen little of anyone but that doesn't stop us from being experts now, does it? :)

All I know is that our guys have conducted 170+ interviews.
That doesn't sound like a big number until you start breaking it down in how many interviews can actually be conducted in any given day and then you have to consider that the draftees are spread all around the country.
We look at a 3 minute clip and they know what their favoured toothpaste is. :)

I've seen little of anyone but that doesn't stop us from being experts now, does it? :)

All I know is that our guys have conducted 170+ interviews.
That doesn't sound like a big number until you start breaking it down in how many interviews can actually be conducted in any given day and then you have to consider that the draftees are spread all around the country.
We look at a 3 minute clip and they know what their favoured toothpaste is. :)

So true, here is Lever's favourite
toothpaste-for-sensitive-teeth.jpg

At best I believe we play traditional. 2 KF and and 1 resting FWD/RUCK on the bench. This allows us to play more midfielders the likes of Judd/Murphy/Gibbs/Yarran/Walker(maybe menzel) etc in the forward line. Back half play 3 talls because every other team had it in there brain to play 3 forwards. Speed is key here and dominate midfielders are a must. The blues have an amazing list (despite what the critic's say) and should be really concentrating on that top 6 slot.

Nah, we are gunning for top4.

I think it comes down to rotations. The more guys who we rotate more often in the midfield the harder we run out games. Guys like Doc, Everitt, Thomas and Judd (off HFF), Menzel should start getting stints in there soon; hopefully Buckley will get a little time in there as well. It allows us to play Cripps, our newer draftees who are probably not as ready.

There's a reason MM's Pies of 2011 won 20 games. Rotations "on-field" is everything in footy.

Hawthorn has proven it over 2013-4.

The kid can play a bit !!

Good user of the ball, long accurate kick, strong overhead, only downside is that he is built like a twig but that can be fixed with the Sheik's patented pizza & beer diet.

Plenty to like about that lad, would be an ideal long-term prospect.

Shouldn't we be playing the long game with our drafting strategy?

I don't want to the player who plays well next year. I want the Beams that comes out of thin air and becomes one of the elite of comp in 4 years or so.

It's another reason our trading strategy is so crucial. We take away the demand for instant impact, so we can focus on drafting long term elites. Most of the higher picks are basically players with greater chance of impact come rd1 next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those other draft watchers out there, I've done a rough rankings list and would not mind some input into the list.
A few names may be lower/higher due to seeing them on a good/off day or not enough vision.

EDIT: This is NOT a phantom draft, just a rankings list.
  1. Petracca

2. McCartin

3. Brayshaw

4. Wright

5. Ahern

6. Laverde

7. Durdin

8. Langford

9. De Goey

10. Ellis

11. Blakely

12. Lamb

13. Lever

14. Goddard

15. Duggan

16. Weller

17. Marchbank

18. Pickett

19. Vickers-Willis

20. McKenzie

21. Cavka

22. Miller

23. Gore

24. McLean

25. Menadue

26. Cockatoo

27. Garlett

28. Nelson

29. Wilkinson

30. Evans
So where do u rank moore & heeney?

Taylor Grace looked a very nice player. Maybe not a line-breaker but just someone who keeps finding ball in hand and uses it well. Pick #61 / #65?

From what I've seen during the games i've witnessed this year, is that his main weakness is his ability to use the ball. Finds plenty of it, good leadership skills but doesn't have the polish imo. Just what I've observed. Clayton, Fordham and Wilkinson all stood out to me more than Grace did (in the same team).

I'd be all over Wilkinson with our later pick, but from what I've heard around the traps, Collingwood and Hawthorn are very keen on him at the minute.

Cheers for that! This guys looks good on paper...

Peter Wright (Calder Cannons, Vic)
8.9.1996 Height: 203cm Weight: 102kg

Ruckman/Tall Forward who is a long, accurate shot for goal and sound overhead mark. Mobile player who’s ruckwork is impressive, using his height to advantage. Very good below his knees and has great running capacity. Won All-Australian Under-18 honours.

EDIT: A bit more reading and he's a possible No. 1 pick - bugger

What are the knocks on Menandue, because that video is super super impressive, lightning quick, elite skills, good eye for goal and just looked like he had footy smarts.
Think it's just his body is not quite developed yet looks very skinny so might take a couple of seasons to put on the muscles and withstand rigours of AFL. But other than that his skill sets look very impressive.

Just from watching the videos and going by rankings, would people be mad if on pick 19 we select Menandue and Cockatoo at pick 28?
The way Cockatoo runs with the pill in hand reminds me a wee bit of Adam Goodes.

Dream draft would be menadue @ 19 and cockatoo @ 28

After seeing the Cockatoo video for the first time tonight, I'm fairly certain there's absolutely no way he will last all the way to pick 28. I don't know what the knocks on him are but he looks a certain top 10 prospect. Has rare skills, ball control, and break-away speed that recruiters salivate over.

After seeing the Cockatoo video for the first time tonight, I'm fairly certain there's absolutely no way he will last all the way to pick 28. I don't know what the knocks on him are but he looks a certain top 10 prospect. Has rare skills, ball control, and break-away speed that recruiters salivate over.

You watched highlights of him playing against 17 year old KIDS!

I will admit they looked great, but I would have little doubt that if you placed someone like Petracca against those kids you would see some insane domination as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back