Opinion 2014 Draft ( Live discussion ) Mod notice post #6629

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK, this could be the biggest party pooper post ever....(sorry if seen that way)

I love this thread, have read almost every post. Not only very informative about upcoming kids, but also provides hope - how recruiting the right kids could push this side to where it needs to be.

Buuuuuut, does anyone else feel that all the guessing and hoping about who we want at which picks is a little pointless? I didn't see Cripps coming last year, and Bootsma took us all by surprise. I think we all knew about Menz, but didn't expect him to drop to our pick.

So we spend months salivating over certain potential players then we just end up with someone else anyway. And we are mostly back to the drawing board to learn about new recruits - especially lower picks, which are almost impossible to guess.

Sure, I'd rather be reading this than doing work, but I find it amusing that 95% of the guesswork and hope is going to be somewhat in vain by draft night...

Name mixed up, was looking at Divi 2 championship qld players looking getting drafted but see few think with having alook, lot more talent looking like coming out of QLD

All good gillo. We all have brain farts now and then. I certainly do most days ending in 'y'...

OK, this could be the biggest party pooper post ever....(sorry if seen that way)

I love this thread, have read almost every post. Not only very informative about upcoming kids, but also provides hope - how recruiting the right kids could push this side to where it needs to be.

Buuuuuut, does anyone else feel that all the guessing and hoping about who we want at which picks is a little pointless? I didn't see Cripps coming last year, and Bootsma took us all by surprise. I think we all knew about Menz, but didn't expect him to drop to our pick.

So we spend months salivating over certain potential players then we just end up with someone else anyway. And we are mostly back to the drawing board to learn about new recruits - especially lower picks, which are almost impossible to guess.

Sure, I'd rather be reading this than doing work, but I find it amusing that 95% of the guesswork and hope is going to be somewhat in vain by draft night...
I would consider this thread more a "closest to the pin" type scenario. It also helps in discussion for those who want to get more familiar with the talent pool of this years draft which will serve you once you start seeing those players come into fruition. Finally, it kind of gives you an idea of the state of our list and what type of holes we need filled.

Shane Rogers has already come out and said that we need speed. Based on Knightmares phantom draft the players he has falling around our pick that fit that criteria would be Nakia Cockatoo and Jarrod Garlett. He has Menadue going at 27 and if it is anything like our draft last year with Cripps we just might end up using our pick on him. Cripps was touted to go around 19-20 I believe in most phantom drafts who we ended up taking at pick #13 which says to me we won't be looking at best available so much as the most talented player in terms of our needs at that position.

You could really postulate you attack the draft in 2 ways - A list of best players, and you take then best available or a wish list of players, and you take the first available. I think the smartest thing to do would be to rock both lists and that way if there is someone who is outstanding that slips and you match that up against your needs selection, you gotta make a decision in that minute or whatever you have which way you go. If you gave every player a rating then this could somehow make it a mathematical decision and remove any guess work.

I know Rogers has made comments like "we rated Jaksch 5th in that draft" and "we rated Menzel 2nd in that draft" so it stands to reason he is going in there with a list of how they rate the draft in order. How they approach the final decision if we are not going with best available I am not sure. I am sure we are not just selecting best available otherwise we are going to end up with half back flank heaven again. There has to be some sort of decision made based on needs that works is conjunction with the list ranked in order, or best available methodology.

I would consider this thread more a "closest to the pin" type scenario. It also helps in discussion for those who want to get more familiar with the talent pool of this years draft which will serve you once you start seeing those players come into fruition. Finally, it kind of gives you an idea of the state of our list and what type of holes we need filled.

Shane Rogers has already come out and said that we need speed. Based on Knightmares phantom draft the players he has falling around our pick that fit that criteria would be Nakia Cockatoo and Jarrod Garlett. He has Menadue going at 27 and if it is anything like our draft last year with Cripps we just might end up using our pick on him. Cripps was touted to go around 19-20 I believe in most phantom drafts who we ended up taking at pick #13 which says to me we won't be looking at best available so much as the most talented player in terms of our needs at that position.

You could really postulate you attack the draft in 2 ways - A list of best players, and you take then best available or a wish list of players, and you take the first available. I think the smartest thing to do would be to rock both lists and that way if there is someone who is outstanding that slips and you match that up against your needs selection, you gotta make a decision in that minute or whatever you have which way you go. If you gave every player a rating then this could somehow make it a mathematical decision and remove any guess work.

I know Rogers has made comments like "we rated Jaksch 5th in that draft" and "we rated Menzel 2nd in that draft" so it stands to reason he is going in there with a list of how they rate the draft in order. How they approach the final decision if we are not going with best available I am not sure. I am sure we are not just selecting best available otherwise we are going to end up with half back flank heaven again. There has to be some sort of decision made based on needs that works is conjunction with the list ranked in order, or best available methodology.

Not sure if can take Rogers seriously on those statements, I'll wait til end of 2015 to make judgement on him, like always hope I'm wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if can take Rogers seriously on those statements, I'll wait til end of 2015 to make judgement on him, like always hope I'm wrong
I rate Shane Rogers as a bit of a straight shooter. Likewise with McKay. McKay came out when asked about Boyd if we had interest in him after he was traded to the Dogs and said yeah we expected him to come across to us next year and had a handshake agreement with Pickering his manager, had hosted him at the club a few times and were genuinely shocked the trade happened. Rogers equally doesn't select his words he seems to shoot straight from the hip. We are also seemingly a club people are happy to work with on trades and I think that comes back to that fairness and transparency.

I would suggest we did actually rate Jaksch as pick 5. Would be why we are so keen on him. In addition, I really rate Rogers so far in how he seemingly maintains relationships with the kids we are really into. I think a few of those trades we have done have been the result of good relationship management over a 2 year period that those kids wanted to come to us. Really happy with what I am seeing from him and the results so far.

Hope you're wrong about what?

How he rates guys in the draft, Menzel 2, Jaksch 5 in the 2012 draft.

I like Menzel but I honestly rate McRae, Wines, Stringer, Mayes higher at this point in time, Grundy too but all play different positions. I haven't seen enough of Jaksch but from what I've seen both Wines and McRae standouts so far

I like Menzel but I honestly rate McRae, Wines, Stringer, Mayes higher at this point in time, Grundy too but all play different positions. I haven't seen enough of Jaksch but from what I've seen both Wines and McRae standouts so far
Very hard to compare a KPP against a mid until 5 years in the system. Thats like saying Rich was the best player out of the 2007 draft as he was a stand out in his first year. Ready made player like Wines. How does he now compare against Naitanui, Hill, Hartlett, Hurley, Yarran, Ziebell, Sidebottom, Shuey, Ballantyne, Beams, Hannebery etc as I read down the draft in order of selections?

You had me until Grundy :p

Was just about to ask Harks, does anyone know anything about Menadue in terms of leadership potential? Off field stuff? Is there anything to suggest he doesn't fit our criteria?
Hey etsal just coming back to this based on Emma Quigleys write up (a lot of spelling mistakes however - amateur hour in that regard) -

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ester-medium-midfielders-20141002-10pj9n.html

Connor Menadue (Western Jets)

Born 19.9.1996, 188cm, 69kg

AFL biography: Excellent athlete that uses his pace and running capacity to run and carry the footy and often breaks the lines. A quiet kid by nature that has the ability to play on a range of opponents regardless of size. Averaged 19.6 disposals per game in his 14 matches for the Western Jets. Consistency is his greatest strength.

Shane Sexton, Western Jets: "Connor's been really impressive, from start to finish this year. He was our best player in the first four or five games and we weren't too sure about him before then but he's been outstanding and he's our best speed and endurance athlete by far. He can run all day. He played some reasonably footy at the national championships bitu he finished off the year really well and he was easily our best player in the elimination final so he's played well under some pressure. He's that type who can run and carry and kick a goal off the half-backline, he's very capable overhead and he'll run a `5-plus beep test and test really well in the sprint. He's a good runner, a nice size and I think he'll be very capable of playing the modern game."

Very hard to compare a KPP against a mid until 5 years in the system. Thats like saying Rich was the best player out of the 2007 draft as he was a stand out in his first year. Ready made player like Wines. How does he now compare against Naitanui, Hill, Hartlett, Hurley, Yarran, Ziebell, Sidebottom, Shuey, Ballantyne, Beams, Hannebery etc as I read down the draft in order of selections?

Top3 Beams, Hannebery, Harlett

You had me until Grundy :p

Only 2nd year ruck like 20 years old and competes well against more experienced bigger Ruckman. Maybe wrong but lot of upside, just my opinion

Menzel hoping has better year, needs to find more of the ball IMO. Menzel I enjoy watching playing marks well and kicks straight if can find ball more will get more ops to effect the scoreboard

You have a bit of a point but since I've taken notice of the draft I find the development of certain players so much more interesting and you find attachments to certain players and it's fun to track them throughout their careers. Also gives you a better understanding of football and what's required to make it. Maybe in time I can watch junior football and not have to rely on bigfooty and highlights but it's still enjoyable this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back