Opinion 2014 Draft ( Live discussion ) Mod notice post #6629

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wonder what we'd do if it came down to Marchbank, Weller or Garlett @ 19?

Don't worry about reading articles and what the web-sites may say.......Cripps is ~195cm.
He's not 190....he's not 192 or 193 either. 194.5cm and up. I've stood next to him and compared his height to Giles, Watson and co.
Cripps is taller than Jamison

Sorry Hark's I was referring to Marchbank.

I will say that - despite preference/opinion/type - the guys I think would most likely be able to slot into our R1 team are:

Weller - would take the spot Lucas should have made his own and could play off a HBF to start his career
Garlett - a spot in Fwd pocket vacated by Garlett would be his > Davey Ellard imo
Cockatoo - amazing athlete and looks set to rock it from Day One
Lamb - has the running capacity/fitness/size to play from get go

For me it's not necessarily about immediate impact, I just want 2 long term good (preferably great) players with pick 19 & 28. The later picks are more lucky dip than anything so no major expectations.

For me it's not necessarily about immediate impact, I just want 2 long term good (preferably great) players with pick 19 & 28. The later picks are more lucky dip than anything so no major expectations.
Not saying that's what I think we should pick on but would be nice to have a highly talented kid who will demand best 22 selection from day one. Haven't really had that in earnest since Gibbs/Kreuz. I know many have been good enough but not truly owned a spot off the bat.

A couple of quality midfielders to continue filling our young midfield group at present...

Hypothetically we end up with Weller and say... Menadue/Garlett.

That's Cripps, Graham, Holman, Bell, Whiley, Weller, Menadue/Garlett and Menzel as our under 24 midfield group. With the two additions and Menzel now playing more midfield time it now has a great balance between inside extractors, big bodies, speed and x-factor.

I'm just waiting for Quayle's tonight @ midnight.

Hers are based on info rather than opinion (usually) so it should give a good picture.

True.
Emma certainly does speak to recruiters and generally has a good feel for where players will go.

True.
Emma certainly does speak to recruiters and generally has a good feel for where players will go.
I just think a lot of others are too skewed by their own opinions/rankings - which is fine but it's not really a phantom draft, more of a glorified power ranking.

I meant project in terms of changing his position. He was a winger when he was shorter. Does he have the kicking skills to play that role? I'm not sure.

His kicking skills are good enough to play midfield.
Not a problem there at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kicking skills are good enough to play midfield.
Not a problem there at all.
I'll trust you over Knightmare who has probably already edited his write up on Marchbank with the word we want him as he states his kicking and decision making is average/below average.

I'll trust you over Knightmare who has probably already edited his write up on Marchbank with the word we want him as he states his kicking and decision making is average/below average.

I'm yet to see a kid come through the U18 system that doesn't have areas he can improve on.
But on exposed form and everything else I have read/heard about Marchbank screams AFL KPP player.
It'll just come down to how Rogers and his team rank him, and if they determine we need another KPP or go for a mid.
Personally, i'd go another highly rated KPP as you can get good mids every year.

Haha but c'mon let's give the guy some credit...keeps the masses informed to an extent, all year round.
He does but the accuracy is what I question. It's not like someone's kicking skill is subjective - how his opinion on a number of players differs from multiple other posters, journos etc is pretty strange.

I'm yet to see a kid come through the U18 system that doesn't have areas he can improve on.
But on exposed form and everything else I have read/heard about Marchbank screams AFL KPP player.
It'll just come down to how Rogers and his team rank him, and if they determine we need another KPP or go for a mid.
Personally, i'd go another highly rated KPP as you can get good mids every year.

Last sentence is bang on

I probably sound like I'm repeating myself but if Marchbank is capable of playing KPP at AFL level I am on board with this selection - I just fear getting a better version of Andy Mac or Whitey with our first pick in a good draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back