List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key forwards are the hardest to find so if there's a good one there at your first pick you have to take him. Reckon first two picks this year will be Weitering and Schache to Carlton and Gold Coast or Brisbane.

Good mids are still plentiful at your second pick too, can never have enough of them. Deepest and best midfield could be Sydney when you add in Heeney but this year the Swans will burn all their picks to add another two in Mills and Dunkley.

You can never have to many good mids, it covers a lot of back line and forward lines cracks.
There are good mids and then there are GWS good mids like Shiel who just run riot. As much as another quality tall would be great he'll just be waiting up forward picking his nose while we are getting killed in the guts and can't transition from defense against the good sides.

No arguments that top shelf key forwards are hard to find though so it's no easy decision but with Roos and co at Melbourne I think we have a better eye for midfield talent. We're still short of a couple gun mids who can run and we have to concede that N Jones, as good as he's been, is not getting any younger.

There are good mids and then there are GWS good mids like Shiel who just run riot. As much as another quality tall would be great he'll just be waiting up forward picking his nose while we are getting killed in the guts and can't transition from defense against the good sides.

No arguments that top shelf key forwards are hard to find though so it's no easy decision but with Roos and co at Melbourne I think we have a better eye for midfield talent. We're still short of a couple gun mids who can run and we have to concede that N Jones, as good as he's been, is not getting any younger.

Roos has said he doesn't get too involved in the recruiting department decisions, other than to enforce that we draft best available and trade for needs.

Roos has said he doesn't get too involved in the recruiting department decisions, other than to enforce that we draft best available and trade for needs.

I think he would set the tone though as to what type of player he wants and then recruitment pick best available according to that criteria.

I love kent as much as anyone on this board but I prefer him in the forward half, he has that arrogance to go for goal

I'm the same, can just see him rotating through the middle at times similar to what happens with Garlett. There will be games where things aren't working for him up forward and being able to run through the midfield is a good extra card to have up his sleeve.

I think he would set the tone though as to what type of player he wants and then recruitment pick best available according to that criteria.

Apparently not - his philosophy is purely to rank the players in order and draft the best available. Then trade for needs as required.

He says he offers advice on the traits that he thinks makes good players - and he has a preference for big bodies, decision making and natural defensive tendencies.

Apparently not - his philosophy is purely to rank the players in order and draft the best available. Then trade for needs as required.

He says he offers advice on the traits that he thinks makes good players - and he has a preference for big bodies, decision making and natural defensive tendencies.

Yeah, traits what what I meant by when I said criteria.

Yep. I would think a list manager / recuriter who isn't intimately familiar with what the coach wants for his side isn't going to stay in the job for long.

I dont buy the argument that we have a good quality amount of young mids coming through

We have
Jones, Vince, Cross, Lumumba As the experience
Newton, Tyson, Vanders, Trenners, Riley and Michie in the Prime age bracket of which Tyson and Vanders are best 22, Newton Riley and Michie are fringe and Trenners may never come back

Then we have Brayshaw, Toumpas, Petracca, Stretch, Neal Bullen, Viney, Salem and JKH

Viney and Salem are best 22 while Bray looks certain to be the goods
Toumpas and JKH are fringe, whilst both have potential arent certain to make it ( tho I like JKH )
Petracca, Stretch and ANB havent played yet so cant be considered

We need a ****load more midfield depth
We need more midfield depth yeah, but not in the 18-21 bracket. Draft isn't going to help us.

We need more midfield depth yeah, but not in the 18-21 bracket. Draft isn't going to help us.

Once GWS have had a couple more kids shook loose it will Be near impossible to trade in gun mids, this is the year to do it if we are gonna

Key criteria A: can kick well
Key criteria B: can kick well under pressure
Key criteria C: anything here is a bonus, we just desperately need more players who are reliable kicks

You're not wrong, although I'd almost throw A out the window and focus on B solely (I know, I know, A begets B, but still...)
How many times over the years have we drafted an 'elite kick' only to find out apparently 'elite' is measured by giving them a paddock and saying 'take twenty goes to hit this barn door -- on the bounce is fine.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So another Brayshaw or Tyson won't help us?

Key criteria A: can kick well
Key criteria B: can kick well under pressure
Key criteria C: anything here is a bonus, we just desperately need more players who are reliable kicks

Criteria A and B describe Jack Watts. Criteria C therefore must be "is a competitive beast". There is a strong argument to say that should be criteria A with skills a close second.

Aaron Francis, firming as my early favorite for us to draft - beast.
More of a defender isn't he? Not sure if he would be high on the clubs priority.

Shaping as a tall mid I believe, had 4 goals, 8 tackles, 8 marks from something like 25+ touches.
Was that yesterday was it? thats massive.
Charlie Cunrow (brother of Carltons Ed) is another to look out for 191cm, hasn't played a champs game yet, not sure if he is today.

Was that yesterday was it? thats massive.
Charlie Cunrow (brother of Carltons Ed) is another to look out for 191cm, hasn't played a champs game yet, not sure if he is today.

Yeah, yesterday - think the replay is online somewhere on AFL.com was 22 touches, 4.5, 8 marks and 8 tackles.

Strong lad, very good kick - looks like hes not a super runner but very good in the contest.

Think he's injured atm, knee of some sort? Have heard hes highly rated though

Yeah, yesterday - think the replay is online somewhere on AFL.com was 22 touches, 4.5, 8 marks and 8 tackles.

Strong lad, very good kick - looks like hes not a super runner but very good in the contest.

Think he's injured atm, knee of some sort? Have heard hes highly rated though
Yeah he's pretty highly rated, top 15ish at least but heard he's more of a defender, I don't know much about him to be honest.

As I've stated in this thread I want a Key forward next to Hogan if available and Schache is the only one I'm interested in, if we can't get him a tall midfielder is next on the list as they are also rare to get.

Charlie Cunrow was a 183ishcm fast ball winning mid last year thats had a growth spurt and is now at 191cm and 95kg, was also rated top 15ish hasn't lost his speed and can still win the footy but has been playing more forward this year in the TAC cup, hasn't played in the Champs yet but keen to see how he goes, I'm going to try watch todays game so hopefully he's playing.

Francis though also 191cm, if he is playing mid and with those numbers looks like it, he certainly would be someone we should be interested in, players with high tackle numbers you would think would suit the game style Roos is putting in place

Last edited:
Yeah he's pretty highly rated, top 15ish at least but heard he's more of a defender, I don't know much about him to be honest.

As I've stated in this thread I want a Key forward next to Hogan if available and Schache is the only one I'm interested in, if we can't get him a tall midfielder is next on the list as they are also rare to get.

Charlie Cunrow was a 183ishcm fast ball winning mid last year thats had a growth spurt and is now at 191cm and 95kg, was also rated to 15ish hasn't lost his speed and can still the footy but has been playing more forward this year in the TAC cup, hasn't played in the Champs yet but keen to see how he goes, I'm going to try watch todays game so hopefully he's playing.

Francis though also 191cm, if he is playing mid and with those numbers looks like it, he certainly would be someone we should be interested in, players with high tackle numbers you would think would suit the game style Roos is putting in place

I think Jason Dunstall mentioned Curnow on the rub as one to look out for

Terry Wallace just said he thinks this kid has moved to the very top of the draft.

Kevin Sheahan agreed that he is a star and could easily be above Weitering as the number 1 pick at the moment.

Won't get drafted. Heard it here first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back