List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best available.

Our current midfield lacks depth, but that's because most of our talent is under 22.

We have a good quality group of young mids to come through in a few years so I wouldn't have a problem if we took Schache with our first.

Tucker and Parish sound like they'd be good fits for our group, if we go for mids.

I dont buy the argument that we have a good quality amount of young mids coming through

We have
Jones, Vince, Cross, Lumumba As the experience
Newton, Tyson, Vanders, Trenners, Riley and Michie in the Prime age bracket of which Tyson and Vanders are best 22, Newton Riley and Michie are fringe and Trenners may never come back

Then we have Brayshaw, Toumpas, Petracca, Stretch, Neal Bullen, Viney, Salem and JKH

Viney and Salem are best 22 while Bray looks certain to be the goods
Toumpas and JKH are fringe, whilst both have potential arent certain to make it ( tho I like JKH )
Petracca, Stretch and ANB havent played yet so cant be considered

We need a heckload more midfield depth

I dont buy the argument that we have a good quality amount of young mids coming through

We have
Newton, Tyson, Vanders, Trenners, Riley and Michie in the Prime age bracket of which Tyson and Vanders are best 22, Newton Riley and Michie are fringe and Trenners may never come back

Then we have Brayshaw, Toumpas, Petracca, Stretch, Neal Bullen, Viney, Salem and JKH

Toumpas and JKH are fringe, whilst both have potential arent certain to make it ( tho I like JKH )

We need a ****load more midfield depth
We'll have more than 1 pick in the draft. It's hard to get quality key forwards, if we can set us up with 2 we have the next 10 years recruiting mids

We'll have more than 1 pick in the draft. It's hard to get quality key forwards, if we can set us up with 2 we have the next 10 years recruiting mids

Sydney had Tippet and Franklin in last years Grand Final and that helped them in no way at all against the Hawks

In fact the last Great FF/CHF combination to win a flag was Lynch/Brown/Bradshaw

We cant get the ball inside 50 because our midfield is s**t, putting another bloke down there to mark wont help until we can get it in their more than 20 times a game

Sydney had Tippet and Franklin in last years Grand Final and that helped them in no way at all against the Hawks

In fact the last Great FF/CHF combination to win a flag was Lynch/Brown/Bradshaw

We cant get the ball inside 50 because our midfield is s**t, putting another bloke down there to mark wont help until we can get it in their more than 20 times a game
I don't disagree we need a better midfield but that comes with development, we have guys to develop already and we should continue to draft midfielders in every draft so we always have midfield stock coming through including later picks in this years draft.

But now we only have one young forward prospect at the moment. Pedo and Dawes are aging and when they are gone in 3 years time and Hogans out injured who are we going to have in?

Neitz retired in 2008 and we were left with Miller, thought all our problems would be fixed drafting a skinny 17 year old jack Watts, it was too late, should of drafted neitz's replacement 3-4 years earlier.

Continue every year to add to your midfield, but don't let over areas slip

I don't disagree we need a better midfield but that comes with development, we have guys to develop already and we should continue to draft midfielders in every draft so we always have midfield stock coming through including later picks in this years draft.

But now we only have one young forward prospect at the moment. Pedo and Dawes are aging and when they are gone in 3 years time and Hogans out injured who are we going to have in?

Neitz retired in 2008 and we were left with Miller, thought all our problems would be fixed drafting a skinny 17 year old jack Watts, it was too late, should of drafted neitz's replacement 3-4 years earlier.

Continue every year to add to your midfield, but don't let over areas slip

I'd be ok with taking another forward if we could take some Sam Mitchell , Steve Johnson types later in the draft

I'd be ok with taking another forward if we could take some Sam Mitchell , Steve Johnson types later in the draft
Well that would be awesome, I think we might have got a decent mid with a late pick in Neal-Bullen lets hoping.

I know our midfield sucks right now, improvement is going to come over time with the right development and I think we got guys on the list that will improve over the years, and adding to it every year weather it's early picks it late picks should be a given. It's just hard to get key forwards so I think if we are in the position to grab a quality one now we should before we fall in a hole in a few years time

We have

We need a ****load more midfield depth

Spot on except Brayshaw is definitely already best 22 with Viney and Salem and I'd argue Kent as well (he'll rotate through the middle). Could add Garlett as midfield rotation as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on except Brayshaw is definitely already best 22 with Viney and Salem and I'd argue Kent as well (he'll rotate through the middle). Could add Garlett as midfield rotation as well.

I love kent as much as anyone on this board but I prefer him in the forward half, he has that arrogance to go for goal

We don't need another key forward that badly. Hogan is the main man (obviously) and Dawes/Pedersen can support him for the next few years at least. Everyone thought Hawkins/Clark would terrorise defences this year. They've been OK together but sometimes they have gotten in each other's way. They haven't exactly dominated. One key forward superstar and one support player is enough.

I think we should just pick the best player between the height of approximately 180cm-192cm. In modern footy, these are the guys that can play anywhere. If there's a freakish small player under 180cm then take him. I don't want us to punt on a ruckman in the first round.

If we have a pick around 4-5 then Schache the forward could be the go, then grab a midfielder around pick 25 when they are still available

If we have a pick around 4-5 then Schache the forward could be the go, then grab a midfielder around pick 25 when they are still available
Finally got someone on my side

Key forwards are the hardest to find so if there's a good one there at your first pick you have to take him. Reckon first two picks this year will be Weitering and Schache to Carlton and Gold Coast or Brisbane.

Good mids are still plentiful at your second pick too, can never have enough of them. Deepest and best midfield could be Sydney when you add in Heeney but this year the Swans will burn all their picks to add another two in Mills and Dunkley.

You can never have to many good mids, it covers a lot of back line and forward lines cracks.

Key forwards are the hardest to find so if there's a good one there at your first pick you have to take him. Reckon first two picks this year will be Weitering and Schache to Carlton and Gold Coast or Brisbane.

Good mids are still plentiful at your second pick too, can never have enough of them. Deepest and best midfield could be Sydney when you add in Heeney but this year the Swans will burn all their picks to add another two in Mills and Dunkley.

You can never have to many good mids, it covers a lot of back line and forward lines cracks.

Good post.

I would be surprised (at this stage) if Schache went as high as pick 2 though.

He kicked 7 for vic country last weekend - but they won by 15 odd goals.

He'll need a few more big bags if he wants to get to pick 2 I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back