Opinion Where do Gawn, Petracca, and Oliver rank in our all-time greats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Todd makes Jack's kicking look like Yze. I reckon I've only seen Simon Godfrey kick helicopters more consistently than Todd.

If you want to talk about players at their best it's hard to go past that first half of 2012 from Mitch Clark. Would have been a top 5 player in the comp playing in the worst side. Campaigner.

If you want to talk about players at their best it's hard to go past that first half of 2012 from Mitch Clark. Would have been a top 5 player in the comp playing in the worst side. Campaigner.

He nearly made my list. It was a toss up with a couple of guys at the bottom of the top 10.

I find Nathan Jones somewhat hard to rate. I have huge respect for the way he carried an awful side. If it were a list of my favourite players he’d rate highly but on ability I’d have him somewhere around the mark of Viney x 2 and Junior McDonald.

Jones is hard to rate for similar reasons to GAJ; their absolute peak years were wasted playing in awful sides. It is hard to look back fondly at champion players that routinely copped 100 point thrashings.

I am not suggesting Jones and GAJ are on the same level. Jones is lightyears ahead ;)

For me hard to go past neitz, but there’s something about you're teenage years you just remember the fondest. His 2002 year was unbelievable, still remember him kicking 7 against brisbane in the gabba. Having said that I probably underrate Oliver, I suppose he doesn't hit the scoreboard as much as some other midfielders but man he's a fantastic player. Would rate May higher if we had him earlier, defenders are definitely underrated as well, May's best season was 2018 could definitely see why the club targeted him.

For me hard to go past neitz, but there’s something about you're teenage years you just remember the fondest. His 2002 year was unbelievable, still remember him kicking 7 against brisbane in the gabba. Having said that I probably underrate Oliver, I suppose he doesn't hit the scoreboard as much as some other midfielders but man he's a fantastic player. Would rate May higher if we had him earlier, defenders are definitely underrated as well, May's best season was 2018 could definitely see why the club targeted him.

Flower will always be the best I've seen. Was only a young fella, but he was the most skilful player I've ever seen in the Red n blue. I'd rate my top 10 as the following...

1. Flower
2. Neitz
3. Trac
4. Gawn
5. Oliver
6. Stynes
7. Lyon
8. Jones
9. Jakovich
10. Schwartz

Rating players only at their best would be an interesting list

1. Schwarz...easily the best player ive ever seen play a game for us (I started following the Dees a year after Flower retire so cant speak on him)
2. Jakovich
I have only vague memories of both, but Jako's stats are immense. Fastest ever player to kick 50 goals, which includes his first (goalless?) game he was dropped after. Spent most of the first half of the season playing reserves and still kicked 70 includining a game where he dobbed 11 goals from 20 shots (8 behinds, one ootf). Only took 21 games to kick 100, only one other person in history has done that. That all sounds incredible to me.

I sometimes wonder whether a fit Schwartz would have changed the 2002 finals result.

Anyway I can't split them, Gawn Trac and Oliver all equal right after Charles Spargo, Angus Brayshaw, ANB, Thomas Bugg and Ben Brown.

Hard to factor in the 1950s crew as it’s so long ago, but let’s say from Barassi taking over as coach in ‘81 as a marker…

Then I would put it:
1) Oliver
2) Flower
3) Gawn
4) Neitz
5) Petracca
6) Stynes
7) Farmer
8) Yze
9) Lyon
10) T Viney

With special mention to a couple of freak seasons: Ox 94, Woewodin 2000
Yes
I was just waiting for someone, ANYONE to mention the Ox.
at his peak, he was undoubtably the best forward in the game and at one point statistically more consistent than the Duck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davey's best was amazing, could turn a game by himself. Tingay would be an all time great if he stayed fit.
Mate, Flash was doing s**t Cyril could do, at least 3 years before Cyril's heroics in the 08 GF on the wing. Davey doesn't nearly get as much credit as he deserves from an indigenous player perspective and small forward perspective. AD36 (patent pending! ) was definitely the reason i wore 36 and went to the footy early days

I have only vague memories of both, but Jako's stats are immense. Fastest ever player to kick 50 goals, which includes his first (goalless?) game he was dropped after. Spent most of the first half of the season playing reserves and still kicked 70 includining a game where he dobbed 11 goals from 20 shots (8 behinds, one ootf). Only took 21 games to kick 100, only one other person in history has done that. That all sounds incredible to me.

I sometimes wonder whether a fit Schwartz would have changed the 2002 finals result.

Yeah, Jako was amazing, dont think we'll ever see another player do what he did in such a short space of time from his debut game. Darren Bennett keeping him in the reserves was so funny looking back now. He was more than just a goal kicker, he was a lairiser and entertainer. He was box office. The opposition fans hated him and the Dees fans loved him. Only took him 3 or 4 games to become my favourite player haha. Think he holds the record for most goals in a season if you add reserves and seniors together (150 something)

Schwarz was even better though, he should be talked about like they do Wayne Carey honestly, he was that good. Easily more talented than Neita. Such a shame about the knees, never saw anything close to what he was in 1994 after them, lost all his athleticism, he could take a hell of a pack mark and was great on the deck for a big guy. He had the type of skill set you'd see only a couple of times in your lifetime, what could have been.

A lot of disrespect for Jeff White I reckon.

A lot of disrespect for Jeff White I reckon.
Good player. Maybe top 20 for my time. Which isn't saying a lot though. We really haven't had a lot of guns. Outside of my top 10 I'd still have Yze, Whelan, May, Davey and Todd Viney ahead of him. White and Farmer would be in that next group with Brad Green.

Good player. Maybe top 20 for my time. Which isn't saying a lot though. We really haven't had a lot of guns. Outside of my top 10 I'd still have Yze, Whelan, May, Davey and Todd Viney ahead of him. White and Farmer would be in that next group with Brad Green.
Whelan is an interesting call. I loved him but for mine he'd be in the rung below a bunch of really good but not absolute stars of the competition, like:

Yze, White, Bruce, Green, McDonald, Robertson, Johnstone etc.

Lyon kicked 10 goals but and you could argue Schwarz was better and best on ground, at the peak of his powers.

the forwards coach should show this at the meetings as for an example of what a "functioning" forward structure looks like!
Because it sure as anything isnt what there being instructed on the weekends.

"Look how well our pockets get the * out of Lyon and Schwarzs leading lanes. Take note!"

Lyon kicked 10 goals but and you could argue Schwarz was better and best on ground, at the peak of his powers.

And on that who would be our 1, 2 Punch.
In this situation our Lyon and Ox? Id love to say for the future JRV at the 1, Fritch at the 2. Pockets do not stand in thier space! Make them the Prioity forwards. Get Nibbler, Spargo, Kossi either up the ground or in the pockets. Argree? Maybe we TRY BB at the #1. just untill Van Rooyen gets into some form to warrant being the number 1 banana

Whelan is an interesting call. I loved him but for mine he'd be in the rung below a bunch of really good but not absolute stars of the competition, like:

Yze, White, Bruce, Green, McDonald, Robertson, Johnstone etc.
I rate toughness highly and Wheels is possibly the toughest player I've seen in the Red n Blue. There's a reason he's still on the books at the Dees. He loves the club as well. Fantastic club man. Rate him very highly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back