2016 Supercoach / Dream Team etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on Wines, what is his role looking like this year (sounds a stupid question but hear me out)?

I think he's a deadset gun as a midfielder and he averaged 110 SuperCoach points for the first 1/3 of the season last year and rarely had stinky scores (in his 2nd year!), so with another pre-season under his belt he could easily do that over a whole season and even go higher. However, what concerns me is that you guys decided to play him up forward quite a bit last year, which hindered his scoring somewhat. I also read on here a few weeks back some posters saying that he may start games up forward or at least spend large portions of games in the forward line.

Now surely, surely, Port aren't going to strand a future elite mid and SuperCoach royal up in the forward in games this season are they? Because as a full-time midfielder, he's certainly a prime breakout candidate this season... his NAB numbers were off the charts.

Boak, Gray, Wines all go forward. Ebert, Polec, Hartlett go back at points in the game. It's just our midfield rotations and don't expect any more forward time than previous years. Dead set centre square player.

Just on Wines, what is his role looking like this year (sounds a stupid question but hear me out)?

I think he's a deadset gun as a midfielder and he averaged 110 SuperCoach points for the first 1/3 of the season last year and rarely had stinky scores (in his 2nd year!), so with another pre-season under his belt he could easily do that over a whole season and even go higher. However, what concerns me is that you guys decided to play him up forward quite a bit last year, which hindered his scoring somewhat. I also read on here a few weeks back some posters saying that he may start games up forward or at least spend large portions of games in the forward line.

Now surely, surely, Port aren't going to strand a future elite mid and SuperCoach royal up in the forward in games this season are they? Because as a full-time midfielder, he's certainly a prime breakout candidate this season... his NAB numbers were off the charts.
His moves forward look like they're about to pay off this year. He scored 14.10 last year but 5.2 was in the finals, so while moves forward while hinder his ballgetting, long kicks, inside 50s and other stats it should be offset by marking and goalscoring. Ken tried him up forward at times in two of the pre-season games and he still scored big in fantasy games.

Bit of help here from the Herald Sun about cheap midfielders and Supercoach scores in NAB. Note that although Ben Newton did not set the world alight with his scores in the second two games as the article says he was off the field for extended periods. Also he probably has a better job security than someone on Hawthorns' or Sydneys' list.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...iced-midfielders/story-fni5f3gz-1227281302461

His moves forward look like they're about to pay off this year. He scored 14.10 last year but 5.2 was in the finals, so while moves forward while hinder his ballgetting, long kicks, inside 50s and other stats it should be offset by marking and goalscoring. Ken tried him up forward at times in two of the pre-season games and he still scored big in fantasy games.
See this is what worries me. No problems with him resting for 5 or so minutes a quarter up forward while playing the rest of the game in the guts, but if he's going to spend long periods up there then I don't think it will be good for his scoring... he doesn't seem like a natural forward capable of kicking 25+ to me. He's a contested beast and his points will come from clearances and contested possessions in the midfield. I'd hate for Port to be involved in a low scoring game against a good Hawthorn/Sydney defence where Wines is stuck in the forward line not getting his hands on it.

See this is what worries me. No problems with him resting for 5 or so minutes a quarter up forward while playing the rest of the game in the guts, but if he's going to spend long periods up there then I don't think it will be good for his scoring... he doesn't seem like a natural forward capable of kicking 25+ to me. He's a contested beast and his points will come from clearances and contested possessions in the midfield. I'd hate for Port to be involved in a low scoring game against a good Hawthorn/Sydney defence where Wines is stuck in the forward line not getting his hands on it.
Don't worry, even in the finals he was never in the forwards long and kicked his goals moving in the midfield mainly. Ken tried a lot of things in the pre-season but I can't see him putting Ollie in the forward lines against most of the teams in the proper season. He's not a natural MID/FWD like Gray or Dangerfield.

Nah, I disagree. Yes he will rest more in the forward lines, but he will do that as part of his spending MORE time on ground, now that he is in his third year ... Ken fairly protected him in his first two years, with him being one of the most rotated players off the bench in the entire comp.

More time on ground = more touches = more points!

Wines' TOG has been pretty low the last two years. If he does spend more time forward, it's more likely to be in place of time that he would've previously spent on the bench than time he would've previously spent in the guts.

Not sure I'd pick him in Dream Team, he's too inside, but for Supercoach, jump on.

Ollie Wines has a Mark Riccutio type forward written all over him. When he goes forward he is super strong and good on the lead. I can certainly see him kicking plenty of goals in his time up there.

He would be able to play that part when needed but I doubt if he would be put into the forward line for the odd full game as Ricciuto sometimes was. Also Ricciuto was a sometime CHF when he played in the Riverland and had kicked 10 goals in a final when picked up as a zone selection.

I would compare Ollie's potential use in the forward line as likely to be on a par with Jack Ziebell's game against the cows in Tasmania last year. But at the moment I can't see too much reason to put him up forward.

Last edited:
Is there a Port Board Afl Fantasy Legue this year?

If you want to create one and post it here that would be great. I'm managing the Supercoach side of things so it'd be great for someone else to sort this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wines' TOG has been pretty low the last two years. If he does spend more time forward, it's more likely to be in place of time that he would've previously spent on the bench than time he would've previously spent in the guts.

Not sure I'd pick him in Dream Team, he's too inside, but for Supercoach, jump on.

Supercoach: Would you pick Wines ahead of Boak (or Griffen, Dangerfield, Hannebury, Watson, etc) who are all priced similarly?

In.

However, I am a complete rookie at this fantasy business. Low scores and poor selections are likely imminent.

#YNSXLXEV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back