2016 TDF fred.

Remove this Banner Ad

I havent seen anyone supporting him on the climbs, maybe they were in those crosswind stages. They've had one strategic win on the Matthews stage but when you get the numbers they had it would of been embarrassing to lose that one, a lot comes down to luck getting numbers like that in a break but they rode to their strengths when it happened. Considering the course this year the selection of the squad was pretty s**t, they obviously gave up on getting anywhere on sprint stages by not picking a sprinter and most of the team is not capable of winning a moutain stage. I think Yates and maybe Plaza were his options for stage wins in the mountains but they had to rethink, Juul-Jensen should be capable of mountain stage win but has finshed outside the top 100 all bar 1 stage. Durbo for TT's but he is a not really a chance against the best in the world, Alba, Bling, Gerro and Impey all do the same kind of thing and their was not a heap of stages to suit them, picking all 4 of these for the same race is my biggest gripe, should of just let Mezgec have a go at the sprinters.
i) matthews bling has won field sprints in GTs. Luka unlikely he ever will a bunchie in a GT

He won a stage at the Giro when at giant, was a bunch finish.
Was it late in the Giro, when most of the top-level sprinters had already gone home?

I can't see him being competitive in a sprint involving Cavendish, Greipel, Kittel, Sagan and Kristoff, which is what he would have been up against in this year's Tour.

Was it late in the Giro, when most of the top-level sprinters had already gone home?

I can't see him being competitive in a sprint involving Cavendish, Greipel, Kittel, Sagan and Kristoff, which is what he would have been up against in this year's Tour.
no, he won at Vuelta too.

albeit, he has lost ~5bs, he no longer has the top end to be able to sprint with the best after fighting for position in the last 5km and ride over 60kmph before the last 300metres which is the true jump and sprint proper. But if you are now riding at 69kg instead of 72, u will lose some of the typeII explosive fibres

I havent seen anyone supporting him on the climbs, maybe they were in those crosswind stages. They've had one strategic win on the Matthews stage but when you get the numbers they had it would of been embarrassing to lose that one, a lot comes down to luck getting numbers like that in a break but they rode to their strengths when it happened. Considering the course this year the selection of the squad was pretty s**t, they obviously gave up on getting anywhere on sprint stages by not picking a sprinter and most of the team is not capable of winning a moutain stage. I think Yates and maybe Plaza were his options for stage wins in the mountains but they had to rethink, Juul-Jensen should be capable of mountain stage win but has finshed outside the top 100 all bar 1 stage. Durbo for TT's but he is a not really a chance against the best in the world, Alba, Bling, Gerro and Impey all do the same kind of thing and their was not a heap of stages to suit them, picking all 4 of these for the same race is my biggest gripe, should of just let Mezgec have a go at the sprinters.
It's a bit like the days when Cadel Evans had to do it all himself with the rest of the team being useless on the climbs. Not sure if this Orica team is suited for climbing stages.

It's a bit like the days when Cadel Evans had to do it all himself with the rest of the team being useless on the climbs. Not sure if this Orica team is suited for climbing stages.
Aerts was good for Cuddles. Horner before he was falling. Vansummeren was good for a 6'5 or 6'6 guy. Popo was utter shite, just came in to take his 500k euros to his Swiss or Monaco accnt.

And Jurgen VandenBroucke was riding his own race. what a pudendum. or a political kampaigner, that is a nod to Chief, he of unmatched wisdom's swear filter

no, he won at Vuelta too.

albeit, he has lost ~5bs, he no longer has the top end to be able to sprint with the best after fighting for position in the last 5km and ride over 60kmph before the last 300metres which is the true jump and sprint proper. But if you are now riding at 69kg instead of 72, u will lose some of the typeII explosive fibres
No sign of any Vuelta stage wins on Luka Mezgec's palmares. 2015 was his only Vuelta, and his only stage win was the TTT on Stage 1 - not exactly a bunch sprint finish. Sure you're not thinking of Caleb Ewan?

His Giro stage win was stage 21 (2014). The riders who finished behind him were Nizzolo, Farrar, and Bouhanni. That's a solid list of B-grade sprinters, but it doesn't contain any A-listers (Kittel, Greipel, Cavendish, Sagan, Kristoff). Kittel did start the race, but abandoned long before the end.

No sign of any Vuelta stage wins on Luka Mezgec's palmares. 2015 was his only Vuelta, and his only stage win was the TTT on Stage 1 - not exactly a bunch sprint finish. Sure you're not thinking of Caleb Ewan?

His Giro stage win was stage 21 (2014). The riders who finished behind him were Nizzolo, Farrar, and Bouhanni. That's a solid list of B-grade sprinters, but it doesn't contain any A-listers (Kittel, Greipel, Cavendish, Sagan, Kristoff). Kittel did start the race, but abandoned long before the end.
well, dont ask Nacer if he is a B grade sprinter. He will punch ur lights out.

And I reckon Nacer has the best jump in the peloton (acceleration). ok, ur question is, from what speed? The slower speed the more obvious would be his speed over the rivals. But that is not road sprinting.

I reckon if you gave Mcewen 3 months training, he could rival Nacer for the fastest acceleration/jump.

But that does not win you a sprint. A sprint is the last 5km of a 190km stage, and positioning, and a fight for wheels, then position for the peel, then positioning behind the right wheel, then poking your nose out in the wind in then last 100-150 metres. Or even less. Mcewen could always outjump Cav, even in his final year. But Cav never lost a sprint to Robbie Mac.

I think one issue with quintana is that his team have been useless (except valverde) and so whilst froome has had 2-3 team mates to protect him on the climbs, nairo has had to so everything on his own steam. Still doesn't have the legs though.

Would be a good return for Orica, podiums for Chaves in the Giro and Yates if he holds on in Le Tour. Whose riding as their hc contender in the Vuelta?
chaves is going to the vuelta. they want to have for next year chavito as the lead for gc in the tdf, with both of the yates boys in for support as well as a couple of other super domestiques i would assume

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Second in the flat TT, shreds everyone to pieces in the climbing TT, destroys everyone in the mountains, even gains time on a flat stage keeping up with a class sprinter and World Champ in Sagan... Who's the last bloke to just dominate in every aspect like this?

Second in the flat TT, shreds everyone to pieces in the climbing TT, destroys everyone in the mountains, even gains time on a flat stage keeping up with a class sprinter and World Champ in Sagan... Who's the last bloke to just dominate in every aspect like this?
Reckon a few others might take him in the bicep curl competition.

LanceArmstrong2003Tour.jpg

I'll tell you one rider ive been impressed with (not knowing much about him before) and that's the South African Meintjes. Put him in a strong GC team and I reckon he's a real chance in years to come.

He was already a good tt'er. The only surprises are the dowhill attack and the flat stage with the crosswinds. He"s prepared to have a crack when others just sit up saving their legs for the hills. Dont think hes been that strong in the mountains this year. Reckon in the washup it will be revealed hes a bit heavier this year and due to the course they have targeted time gains in areas that are different to previous years. Sky have just read the race better than every other team.

By far the most enjoyable tour to watch for at least the past 5 years, loving the unpredictability/dominance of Froome as well the battle for the podium places and the resurgence of Cav. I have no doubt Porte will finish on the podium, expecting him and Froome to do battle in the mountains and Froome ultimately giving the stage to Ritchie but eating into the times of the other GC contenders. Incredibly difficult stage tomorrow and imo no chance of a breakaway succeeding, lock in Froome/Porte for the stage win.

Sir Bradley Wiggins. Another UK Postal rider, on the same juice.

By far the most enjoyable tour to watch for at least the past 5 years, loving the unpredictability/dominance of Froome as well the battle for the podium places and the resurgence of Cav. I have no doubt Porte will finish on the podium, expecting him and Froome to do battle in the mountains and Froome ultimately giving the stage to Ritchie but eating into the times of the other GC contenders. Incredibly difficult stage tomorrow and imo no chance of a breakaway succeeding, lock in Froome/Porte for the stage win.
I still have huge doubts about Porte finishing on the podium, because of the time he still needs to claim back in Mollema and Yates.

There is no doubt that Porte is the 2nd best rider in this year's Tour. He lost 1:45 due to a flat tyre on Stage 2, he now trails 2nd place by 1:08. Without the mechanical problem he'd be sitting in 2nd place, with a 37 second lead over 3rd. Coulda/woulda/shoulda.. didn't. The reality is that he's 68 seconds from 2nd place, with just one mountain top finish to go (Saturday's finish in Morzine is at the bottom of a 9km descent). To make matters worse, tonight's mountain top finish is "only" Cat1, not HC. It's 9.8km, at an average of 8%. Is that tough enough for him to put the other riders into difficulty, and gap them by at least 45 seconds?

So far we've had 3x mountain top finishes - Arcalis, Mont Ventouz, and Saint-Gervais. Here's the time Porte has taken on his rivals on those stages:
Mollema (68 seconds up): 21 seconds (Arcalis), 0 seconds (Ventouz), 40 seconds (Saint-Gervais)
Yates (44 seconds up): 0 seconds, 19 seconds, 8 seconds
Quintana (23 seconds up): 0 seconds, 26 seconds, 28 seconds
Bardet (3 seconds up): 21 seconds, 19 seconds, 11 seconds

I can definitely see him picking up the time he needs to overtake Quintana & Bardet. That still leaves him in 4th, just outside the podium. I'm having a lot of trouble seeing him picking up the time he needs to move past Yates and Mollema.

If Porte is to finish on the podium, then he has to attack hard, and he needs to attack early. He can't leave it to the last 2-3km of the climb, because he won't be able to build a big enough gap if he leaves it that late. He has to go 5+km from the finish and hope that Froome goes with him to help set the pace. If that happens, then maybe, just maybe, he might have a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back