Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I prefer we stay well away from Parish, guys like him and Patmore just butcher the ball. So many guys late in the draft that a very good ball users
Patmore and Parish know where to send the ball, and buy time for themselves and others. Patmore, moreso than Parish, can use the footy much better than what you continually suggest.

I don't think Patmore will even be there at 38, but I'll be extremely happy if he is.

If I read the phantom drafts correctly, O'Brien has the best skills. But we'll find out at draft combine.

Kicking test (score out of a possible 30)
Tom Williamson (24)
Kym LeBois (23)

Not sure why you are now mentioning Willo and LeBois, Thought your post was comparing Kelly to Patmore and Parish, my mistake

Patmore and Parish know where to send the ball, and buy time for themselves and others. Patmore, moreso than Parish, can use the footy much better than what you continually suggest.

I don't think Patmore will even be there at 38, but I'll be extremely happy if he is.

Know where to send it but rarely get it done

Would be surprised if Parish was selected in the main draft, possibly in the 70's

That's right you suggested that WC will pick Patmore up with their 1st round possibly and gone by the 2nd round for sure? Not trying to talk you out of what you think will happen Jim, all I will say is, I would be extremely surprised if he was selected in the first 2 rounds and or SOS selecting him with an early 3rd

I would be rapt if we had pick 10, was still around and SOS selected him. Still think he is the best natural player of all the draftees

Good to see Higgins getting some love. If he was 185cm+ he would be in contention for a top 3 pick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Know where to send it but rarely get it done

Would be surprised if Parish was selected in the main draft, possibly in the 70's

That's right you suggested that WC will pick Patmore up with their 1st round possibly and gone by the 2nd round for sure? Not trying to talk you out of what you think will happen Jim, all I will say is, I would be extremely surprised if he was selected in the first 2 rounds and or SOS selecting him with an early 3rd
There was talk of the Eagles looking at him early on, and I think he won't make it past Freo at 40.

Higgins.....gets his own footy, kicks goals.

Hopefully he's still there around 10-17, assuming things line up.
Get the feeling you'd have a few celebratory beers if SOS types out Higgins name come draft night.

There was talk of the Eagles looking at him early on, and I think he won't make it past Freo at 40.

Pick 40 onward, would be a fair start.

What you have to consider, is guys like Patmore will no longer cut it at AFL level, as attacking HBF's.

2E, Wilson, Hartlett, Houli, Mills, Hurn, Yeo, Doc, Witherden, McGrath, Laird, Smith, Vince, Roberton, Suckling etc. all hit targets on a regular basis. Even a guy like Seedsman, who struggles to break into the Crows side unless there is an injury, is a very good kick.

I understand you may doubt my opinion regarding Patmore's disposal by foot, ask other draft watchers like Bishop TheSmokingGun LemmingMaster as to where they think his draft range is. If you are still adamant that he will be taken by the end of the 2nd round or possibly even the 1st round, back your own judgement

Get the feeling you'd have a few celebratory beers if SOS types out Higgins name come draft night.

No doubt.

In this day and age the fact he's 5'9 doesn't matter.

He's an impact player, that's on ball and forward.

Very good overhead one out, knows where the sticks are, and smart enough to get to the right space.

Unabashed fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we did take on Rockcliff and got Kennedy, could we set out sights for something other than an inside midfielder?

Best available, but that can change dependent on the other pieces in place.

What is it going to cost to get Kennedy? Also talk about Balic from Freo?

My 2017 Top 15 draft board (picking for Carlton):
  1. Raynor
  2. Dow
  3. Cera
  4. LDU
  5. Higgins
  6. D.Fogarty
  7. Naish (f/s)
  8. Clark
  9. Stephenson
  10. O'Brien
  11. Brander
  12. Constable
  13. Brayshaw
  14. Ballenden (Bris Academy)
  15. Hayes
I have added many times how much I like Stefan Giro. Would have him rated around our second pick, if we had one, amongst other company such as L.Fogarty, Garner etc. and hope he slips to our 3rd.

See with Bonar, at least you know he can play medium forward and has the tank and speed for a dynamic midfield role if he can wrap his head around it.

With Roughsedge you're hoping he catches up very quickly in the first 12 months. Short of a disaster on the medical, I don't see how clubs take Roughsedge earlier than Bonar, at all.
Sorry man, but based on what I've seen I struggle to justify taking Bonar with any pick. Roughsedge has averaged 27-28 possessions in the guts every match since his return 5-6 weeks ago with no preseason, no fitness base and yet to rebuild his tank. I'm not as bullish as Arr0w as to where Roughsedge will be taken, but give him a preseason to establish a solid fitness base and rebuild his tank and I only see huge upside. He's one of those players who can take over a game just by doing the basics as we saw in the 3rd Qtr against the Dragons.

.....because it opens up opportunities to get greater assurance of securing guys like Parish and Tim Kelly.

There's a huge opportunity to transform our midfield stocks with this draft.
:eek: :eek: :eek: No-no-no-no-no-no....FMD. You're taking the piss.....surely. Parish is better off going back to being a Grommet, because he kicks the ball goofy-footed. Has little to no depth, power or penetration with his kicking. Real shame, because he's one of the best runners in this years draft class, tries exceptionally hard and "knows how to find it" inside, outside and even upside-down & inside-out. The only thing that may save him from a similar fate to Jonty Scharenberg is that this years draft doesn't go as deep. It'll be brave club that deems his kicking skills, or lack thereof, as salvageable.

Look, I'm not as hard on the WA boys as Arr0w, but I think there'll be better options at #39 than Patmore. There's an SA kid that missed the U18 Carnival with a quad strain and flown under the radar ever since who's an upgrade on Patmore by the name of Andrew McPherson. 186cm HBF/outside mid, beautiful right foot kick with penetration, not afraid of contested ball when "it's his turn to go", has great endurance, runs like the wind and can find the ball 25-30 times a game. Not sure his disposal is quite as good as Cerra or Brayshaw, but he's not far off that level. Go and do a little digging as I think you'll really like him, especially his running power, repeat efforts and ability to stay involved in chains of play. Is one of the few sliders I'd really like SOS to get his hands on and has a lot of characteristics SOS would like. Apart from the first one these links getting a little old now, but you'll get the idea.
Andrew McPherson – AFL Draft Central
Matt Balmer’s 2017 AFL Draft May Power Rankings
2.6K AFL Draft Class of 2017 : Defenders As the AFL season roars to within touching distance, so too do the Under 18 competitions as we ready ourselves to cheer...
Round 6 - 2016 Maccas Cup MVP Andrew McPherson (number 12)
2016 NAB AFL U17's All Stars - Team Judd vs Team O'Loughlin

Has poor disposal efficiency, yes. Misses more goals than he kicks and one day will do an Isaac Smith in a final.

Kelly is a beautiful kick mate. Not sure what your angle is here. I'm shattered he signed on with GWS, he's exactly what we need.

Sorry man, but based on what I've seen I struggle to justify taking Bonar with any pick. Roughsedge has averaged 27-28 possessions in the guts every match since his return 5-6 weeks ago with no preseason, no fitness base and yet to rebuild his tank. I'm not as bullish as Arr0w as to where Roughsedge will be taken, but give him a preseason to establish a solid fitness base and rebuild his tank and I only see huge upside. He's one of those players who can take over a game just by doing the basics as we saw in the 3rd Qtr against the Dragons.
My problem is that it's not his fitness base, it's his the amount of force he is able to put through his lower legs and feet: it's not there.

He needs to be on an AlterG treadmill for a few months; he needs physio. It's brave of him to be out on the field, but he looks awful.

Bonar definitely hit the wall with his fitness, and isn't as clever around the stoppage as Roughsedge, but he's an athletic weapon, and I'm sure the fact that he's sat out for 12+ months from the elite level of junior footy has hampered his opportunities to fine tune his stoppage reads.

:eek: :eek: :eek: No-no-no-no-no-no....FMD. You're taking the piss.....surely. Parish is better off going back to being a Grommet, because he kicks the ball goofy-footed. Has little to no depth, power or penetration with his kicking. Real shame, because he's one of the best runners in this years draft class, tries exceptionally hard and "knows how to find it" inside, outside and even upside-down & inside-out. The only thing that may save him from a similar fate to Jonty Scharenberg is that this years draft doesn't go as deep. It'll be brave club that deems his kicking skills, or lack thereof, as salvageable.
I'm talking 50+, and I recognise that his kicking is an issue.

Look, I'm not as hard on the WA boys as Arr0w, but I think there'll be better options at #39 than Patmore. There's an SA kid that missed the U18 Carnival with a quad strain and flown under the radar ever since who's an upgrade on Patmore by the name of Andrew McPherson. 186cm HBF/outside mid, beautiful right foot kick with penetration, not afraid of contested ball when "it's his turn to go", has great endurance, runs like the wind and can find the ball 25-30 times a game. Not sure his disposal is quite as good as Cerra or Brayshaw, but he's not far off that level. Go and do a little digging as I think you'll really like him, especially his running power, repeat efforts and ability to stay involved in chains of play. Is one of the few sliders I'd really like SOS to get his hands on and has a lot of characteristics SOS would like. Apart from the first one these links getting a little old now, but you'll get the idea.
Andrew McPherson – AFL Draft Central
Matt Balmer’s 2017 AFL Draft May Power Rankings
2.6K AFL Draft Class of 2017 : Defenders As the AFL season roars to within touching distance, so too do the Under 18 competitions as we ready ourselves to cheer...
Round 6 - 2016 Maccas Cup MVP Andrew McPherson (number 12)
2016 NAB AFL U17's All Stars - Team Judd vs Team O'Loughlin
I don't rate him higher than I rate Patmore. Sorry!

Kelly is a beautiful kick mate. Not sure what your angle is here. I'm shattered he signed on with GWS, he's exactly what we need.
His argument is about balancing kicking efficiency with the degree of difficulty and the execution of the kick.

Anyone see Jordan Houlihan kick 4 in the SANFL Senior semi on the weekend?....Stig?, anyone else?

Was it a nice 4, or a so-so 4, or a come and draft me 4?

I liked what i saw at the Champs and have him at 20 on my last Top 25 draft board from a few weeks ago. If we go fulltime mid with our Pick 3 is Houlihan a nice option as a goalkicking HF that we also could do with?...if we get a pick in the 15 to 30 range.

Back