Injury 2017 Injury News

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
First few injuries have started to be reported lately, thought we'd better get a thread going. :(

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2017-02-21/optomo-injury-update-jlt2

Swingman Sam Day will miss the entire 2017 season after suffering a dislocated hip in the opening quarter of Sunday’s JLT Community Series game against Brisbane.

Day successfully underwent surgery on Monday evening and the South Australian will now begin the long road to recovery.

“He’s okay. Had his surgery last night but fairly significant injury as we’ve spoken about already,” GM – Football Operations, Marcus Ashcroft, told the Optomo Injury Update.

“Hasn’t been seen that regularly over time getting a dislocated/fractured hip which is what he had. The surgery was a success, pretty extensive, a lot of bone damage and ligament damage around the joint obviously.

“But he’s now in rehab and will miss the whole year, we know that. So we’re more concerned with getting him into a rehab program the next bit of time. That’ll be non-weight bearing until six weeks.”

Ruckman Jarrod Witts split the webbing in hand against the Lions and will be aiming for the third JLT game to push his case for the number one ruck position at Metricon Stadium.

Witts suffered the same injury whilst playing for Collingwood last season before a subsequent infection led to a five-week stint on the sidelines. The SUNS medical team opted to be conservative with the 209cm big man to ensure there was no repeat in 2017.

“He’s pulled up really well. Again, he had surgery yesterday to repair that damage on his hand,” Ashcroft said.

“Had a similar episode last year. The worry last year is that it got infected and he missed a long period of time. We wanted to make sure that didn’t happen this time around so we took the conservative option.

“Put him into hospital for day surgery, got it cleaned out to make sure there’s no risk of infection. It was stitched up and he’ll be available to play in our JLT3 game.”

Recently re-signed utility Jack Martin was a late withdrawal from JLT1 with back tightness but will take his place for the SUNS in their second pre-season game against Essendon in Mackay this Sunday, as will the versatile Alex Sexton and key forward Peter Wright.

such a shame about day. not the first time we've had a shocking injury very early on in the season. fingers crossed his recovery is a bit better than JOM's.

Current Injury List

Michael Rischitelli Knee Indefinite
Sam Day Hip Season
Jarrod Harbrow Ankle 3-4 weeks
Jack Scrimshaw Conditioning 3-4 weeks
Tom Nicholls Calf 1-2 weeks
Jarrod Witts Hand 1 week
Gary Ablett Shoulder 1 week
Jarryd Lyons Ankle 1 week
Updated: Tuesday 21 February

Good luck Jarrod Witts. Hope the split webbing injuries aren't chronic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Ashcroft ever have good news.
Everytime i hear his name i just want to punch him in his face

hahaha, to be fair its not really his fault, he's just the middle man. But yeah not doing himself any favours being the one to give this news instead of Cordy or one of the doctors/rehab guys who we dont see or really acknowledge otherwise. :p

I just can't believe how quickly and seemingly innocuously these injuries have amounted. Rory goes out for a week with a mysterious quad cork or something? then all of a sudden its another 2 weeks before reevaluating. Same with Mckenzie. Runs out the game with a bit of soreness and looks good, then all of a sudden is out 2 weeks. So frustrating. Although it sounds like we are being SUPER conservative with these guys. Like Ainsworth out 6 weeks with a quad cork. Better than rushing them back only to go down for 8-10 weeks like in the past I guess.

The relocation headlines are only one ugly loss away for the rest of the season

To be honest they only really have one big key forward in Tex, need to shut him down. Jenkins doesn't play as a key forward, he plays as more of a medium sized forward, he won't be the type to out muscle his opponents.

Leslie-Walker
Saad-Betts
Kolo-Jenkins
Joyce-McGovern
Harbrow-Lynch

Do we line up something like that?

Or god forbid, do we role Lynch into the backline, and play someone like Gazza or Jack Martin out of Full Forward with Wright leading up the ground?

To be honest they only really have one big key forward in Tex, need to shut him down. Jenkins doesn't play as a key forward, he plays as more of a medium sized forward, he won't be the type to out muscle his opponents.

Leslie-Walker
Saad-Betts
Kolo-Jenkins
Joyce-McGovern
Harbrow-Lynch

Or god forbid, do we role Lynch into the backline, and play someone like Gazza or Jack Martin out of Full Forward with Wright leading up the ground?
McGovern and Jenkins are both injured. I think Brooksby has to play.

Leslie-Walker
Saad-Betts
Kolo-Jenkins
Joyce-McGovern
Harbrow-Lynch

I was thinking that as a worse case pushing lynch in the back line if required

On ZTE T84 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Atleast Barlow and Swallow seem ok. Gonna be a big match for Leslie.
I know many don't but I actual rate Leslie. Good height and burst of pace, still learning his craft.

It's a great opportunity for him to stand up and show that he is a genuine quality tall defender.

Sitting this morning with my coffee watching Fox sports , then pops up on screen that Micheal Barlow will miss this week with hamstring . Go to website and Ashcroft says he will play , this is a tough one , who to believe!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back