Prediction 2018 Fixture

Do you want the Mutts twice or should we set our sights higher?

• Take the easy 8 points and rub their noses in it

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Ignore them their not worth the effort

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Wont they be sent to the VFL on their way out of existence anyway.

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Probably not as great a priority for teams in contention but still significant. This is what we know so far:
AFL sets key 2018 fixture dates | SBS News http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/08/03/afl-sets-key-2018-fixture-dates

The punishment for a top 4 finish will be another tough draw, but I think we can embrace that. Things I'd like to see.

1. Friday night game for Spotless. I think it's time has come. Home derby against the Swans would guarrantee a sellout and a spectacle for the national stage.

2. Saturday or Sunday arvo games in the sunshine. I will defer to families but surely early afternoon is best for kids as well as my possibly old fashioned preference. Ok with night games but the number of twilights last year was ridiculous.

3. Mightn't be popular but I dont think the rnd2 match at Spotless really worked.We got a crappy crowd. It just seemed to prolong the annual early season agony until things settled down. I'd prefer to bite the bullet and go to Manuka until Spotless is ready. With Good Friday 30th March and season kick off 22nd March I dont think it will work anyway.

4. No double up with Mutts, the rivalry is BS and we've nothing to gain from them hanging on to our coat tails.

5. The Crows to come to Spotless. Happy for them to be a double up. I think we should embrace playing at Adelaide and Geelong, and the challenge is good. After two years of travelling we're due to get them at home though.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
1. Friday night game for Spotless. I think it's time has come. Home derby against the Swans would guarrantee a sellout and a spectacle for the national stage.

True and the ratings would be good to.
Though i doubt itll be a derby Friday nighter.

Can see the Hawks Geelong or someone who can draw a crowd that isnt the derby

2. Saturday or Sunday arvo games in the sunshine. I will defer to families but surely early afternoon is best for kids as well as my possibly old fashioned preference. Ok with night games but the number of twilights last year was ridiculous.

No idea about this. What times are the kids comps playing Saturday arvo?

3. Mightn't be popular but I dont think the rnd2 match at Spotless really worked.We got a crappy crowd. It just seemed to prolong the annual early season agony until things settled down. I'd prefer to bite the bullet and go to Manuka until Spotless is ready. With Good Friday 30th March and season kick off 22nd March I dont think it will work anyway.

More to do with it being the Suns.

Maybe a a home game at Rooty Hill vs the Suns? Make a carnival like atmosphere?

4. No double up with Mutts, the rivalry is BS and we've nothing to gain from them hanging on to our coat tails.

*em i want the easy points.

5. The Crows to come to Spotless. Happy for them to be a double up. I think we should embrace playing at Adelaide and Geelong, and the challenge is good. After two years of travelling we're due to get them at home though.

Yep. Want to play at Fortresses as much as possible. Battle hardened.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jeez you're getting early - this year hasn't even finished yet.

But some info I've put together about return matches in the H&A season

Teams we've played twice.

6x Sydney (obviously)

4x Gold Coast (12,13,15,16)
4x Melbourne (12,13,14,15)

2x Adelaide (12,14)
2x Geelong (16,17)
2x Port (13,16)
2x Richmond (14,17)
2x Dogs (14,17)

1x Carlton (15)
1x Essendon (13)
1x Freo (16)
1x North (12)
1x St Kilda (15)
1x West Coast (17)

Never: Brisbane, Collingwood, Hawthorn

It will be interesting to see who we double up on next year with the whole 6,6,6 thing and where teams are now.

Jeez you're getting early - this year hasn't even finished yet.

But some info I've put together about return matches in the H&A season

Teams we've played twice.

6x Sydney (obviously)

4x Gold Coast (12,13,15,16)
4x Melbourne (12,13,14,15)

2x Adelaide (12,14)
2x Geelong (16,17)
2x Port (13,16)
2x Richmond (14,17)
2x Dogs (14,17)

1x Carlton (15)
1x Essendon (13)
1x Freo (16)
1x North (12)
1x St Kilda (15)
1x West Coast (17)

Never: Brisbane, Collingwood, Hawthorn

It will be interesting to see who we double up on next year with the whole 6,6,6 thing and where teams are now.
It's from the ladder, which is how the Mutts got an easy draw. 7th was second tier. We'll get the Swans, 3 from the top 6 and one from lower I think. By giving us two Friday nights against the Mutts the AFL clearly wants to match us up, just hope they move on next year.

It's from the ladder, which is how the Mutts got an easy draw. 7th was second tier. We'll get the Swans, 3 from the top 6 and one from lower I think. By giving us two Friday nights against the Mutts the AFL clearly wants to match us up, just hope they move on next year.

The timing of matches is important. In winter people with young kids and e concerned with getting flu from the cold, so games are preferably on in the afternoon or twilight for men I went to one game this year the west coast final ( without family), better timing would have seen me go to at least 3 games (and taken kids with me).

Friday night at Manuka was fantastic, the atmos. was great and our crowds are no smaller than the Showgrounds (I ain't ever calling it by it's brand name)
Now if we could only transfer the amazing catering facilities from Homebush to Canberra, (really Manuka, could the food be any worse?), it would be all sweet!
And games in Canberra earlier in the year are less chilly.

Friday night at Manuka was fantastic, the atmos. was great and our crowds are no smaller than the Showgrounds (I ain't ever calling it by it's brand name)
Now if we could only transfer the amazing catering facilities from Homebush to Canberra, (really Manuka, could the food be any worse?), it would be all sweet!
And games in Canberra earlier in the year are less chilly.
It got very cold for the Bulldogs game as the night wore on though. It was an active and a great crowd, but we dont know what crowd Spotless would draw for a Friday night. The fact it was at Manuka for our first probably indicates the clubs expectations.

I'm not sure it's all numbers though, the Manuka crowd has been more active and involved in the game up to now, and for the national stage that was a plus.
The Spotless crowd became noticeably more so as the year went on in my view.
I dont actually mind the catering at Manuka, although it's all temporary, I have very happy memories of the pulled pork rolls. The toilet facilities are a negative.

I think with Spotless unavailable during the show it is always going to be the case Manuka gets early games, and night games in that time make sense.

The gozleme at Showgrounds is spot on!
Haven't tried it. Spotless is a couple of K's for me and I usually dont eat much there. I like the trips to Canberra, I catch a train and it's a relaxing 4 hours with a book, I find the Kurrajong Hotel excellent and a convenient walk as well.

The gozleme at Showgrounds is spot on!

Their kebabs are spot on also, can also highly recommend the calamari from the fish and chip shop :)

And yes, it would be impossible to make the Manuka food worse and still charge for it

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guessing no early game at Spotless next year.
First 2 weeks are out for sure, given the show ends on the 3rd April I'd say the first 3 weeks.

Will depend on the home and away sequence but Canberra early for one game locked, 2 possible

We need experience on the ground, and the last couple of weeks of the season is a bit late
Absolutely
We still dont draw much of a crowd there though. I think the club will have to argue it's a fairness thing. Dave Matthews seems to be good at that, happily.

What about a Sydney Derby round 1 fixture at ANZ? Would have the whole off/pre-season to market it, could see it getting 60-70k.
Interesting, original idea. Would it draw that well?
Round 5 this year drew 38k at the SCG with a 46k capacity. Both clubs look finals bound and round 1 anticipated all year, so maybe enough to make ANZ feasible.

What about a Sydney Derby round 1 fixture at ANZ? Would have the whole off/pre-season to market it, could see it getting 60-70k.

Only if it's their home game.

I'm not giving up another home game to a neutral venue - we already take three to Manuka and next year we'll probably be giving up another one to let Richmond play its w*nkfest in Mumbai.

Sydney members don't travel west of Glebe, they're not going to turn up to someone else's home game at stadium Australia - they barely turn up to Spotless. We play at ANZ as our home game we barely break 20k we play it as their home game, we might make 25 or 26k

It would look stupid.

It's a s#*t ground and it's not our ground. See no point in ever playing there ever again.

With the fixture out in a couple of weeks maybe time to bump this?

Also add two personal wishes.

1. Game at the Gabba. I've never been there and figure it's about time. We've played the Lions there the last two years so their probably due to come to us. Looking like a more interesting game next year. I recall in 2015 our cheer swuad had to help them with the banner, but it might have just been a logistical SNAFU.
Not sure how the Metricon thing plays out ( Welcome to our world Suns) but conceivable ee may play the Suns there.

2. Game at the new Perth Stadium. One WC poster suggested Eagles in round 1. :DOn the basis we'd be competitive and not take up many seats. That's probably true on both counts but works for me. I have personal obligations I can sort out at the same time.
At least a game there against one of them at a minimum, and I think that will happen.

Back