Injury 2018 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing on Cumming in the injury report but guessing he is out for the season with a possible AC joint but hopefully I am wrong and it is nothing serious for him
Bunts had an ordinary game last week, with Heater out you'd think he'd be a chance if fit. With so many changes the last couple of weeks, probably Perryman comes in and that's it though.

Watching the press conference of Cameron is frustrating. He is a man in denial saying that injuries arent a problem - feel like he is trying to protect his staff and players from criticism and I can get that but he needs to acknowledge the problem. The fitness and conditioning staff need to be reviewed by season's end because injuries the past 2 years have been beyond that of bad luck. With nearly no fit AFL listed players in the NEAFL again it is becoming a joke. You can be optimistic with the players for a period of time but eventually even their patient is going to run out if injuries keep wiping out the whole team.

Another worrying thing for me is the way Cameron talks about griffen being a 'big game player' and a player that 'can deliver when fully fit'. I think he genuinely does believe that Griffen still has his best in him and its starting to remind me eerily of comments he made when selecting stevie J in matches last year. We cant risk always being down on players with soft tissue injuries, we already lose enough personnel from collisions and accidents. Having Griffen, Deledio, Reid and DeBoer all together on the same team gives me shivers knowing we could easily be 3 players down by half time given their recent history of recurrent soft tissue injuries. Hope Leon is not being too sentimental with his selections come finals time and chooses players in the interest of the team.

Another worrying thing for me is the way Cameron talks about griffen being a 'big game player' and a player that 'can deliver when fully fit'. I think he genuinely does believe that Griffen still has his best in him and its starting to remind me eerily of comments he made when selecting stevie J in matches last year. We cant risk always being down on players with soft tissue injuries, we already lose enough personnel from collisions and accidents. Having Griffen, Deledio, Reid and DeBoer all together on the same team gives me shivers knowing we could easily be 3 players down by half time given their recent history of recurrent soft tissue injuries. Hope Leon is not being too sentimental with his selections come finals time and chooses players in the interest of the team.
100% and I made similar comments in the game day thread.

Watching the press conference of Cameron is frustrating. He is a man in denial saying that injuries arent a problem - feel like he is trying to protect his staff and players from criticism and I can get that but he needs to acknowledge the problem. The fitness and conditioning staff need to be reviewed by season's end because injuries the past 2 years have been beyond that of bad luck. With nearly no fit AFL listed players in the NEAFL again it is becoming a joke. You can be optimistic with the players for a period of time but eventually even their patient is going to run out if injuries keep wiping out the whole team.

And how is Griffen a big game player. Don't remember him playing too many finals at the Bulldogs

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

And how is Griffen a big game player. Don't remember him playing too many finals at the Bulldogs

I dont think he needs to play finals to necessarily be a big game player and no doubt at his best he was certainly leading by example and influential in big games for the dogs. That being said, it is well past the point where he can do that and single-handedly shift the momentum of games. His role seems to be covered by what the newfound bonar can produce and lids would be more important to the team as a quality ball user if fit. Cameron needs to recognise that and whilst it would be a fairytale for lids and griff to both potentially play in a grand final and win one with us it would cost the rest of the team too dearly if both went down early in the game. If reid, deboer, griff and lids were all good to go I would probably only select deboer and lids to play. De Boer's injury seems manageable and still has a big tank and lids still has a unique skillset to offer. Playing all 4 would be way too risky.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-21/gun-mids-return-to-ease-giants-injury-crisis

Few more players than expected (apart from Davis, Griffen and Finlayson being absent from training, Lachie Whitfield, Tim Taranto, Zac Langdon and Lachie Keeffe also on light duties) to have pulled up sore. Davis, Finlayson and Reid expected to be ok to go come Sunday. Williams recovering well and Greene and Corr also seem on track for Week 1 of finals.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-21/gun-mids-return-to-ease-giants-injury-crisis

Few more players than expected (apart from Davis, Griffen and Finlayson being absent from training, Lachie Whitfield, Tim Taranto, Zac Langdon and Lachie Keeffe also on light duties) to have pulled up sore. Davis, Finlayson and Reid expected to be ok to go come Sunday. Williams recovering well and Greene and Corr also seem on track for Week 1 of finals.
21 on the list fully fit, we got this :)

21 on the list fully fit, we got this :)

Sounds about right - my breakdown based on what I think players' injury status are:

Fit (20): Hopper, Cogs, Shiel, Ward, Bonar, Cumming, Daniels, Haynes, Tommo, Bunts, Kelly, Himmelberg, Sproule, Williams, Perryman, Lobb, Lloyd, Kenners, D.Buckley, Stein
Sore i.e. hurting but probably will play next round (8): Davis, Whitfield, Finlayson, Taranto, Langdon, Jezza, Keefe, Reid
Queries i.e. will not be considered until Finals (9): Greene, Deledio, Taylor, DeBoer, Flynn, Griffen, Corr, Mohr, J.Buckley
Finished i.e. 2018 over (7): Scully, Setterfield, Patton, Shaw, Simpson, Tiziani, Shipley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2018-08-21/westfund-rehab-report-round-22

Rehab Group - August 21

Josh Kelly Concussion Test
Phil Davis Hip Test
Sam Reid Hamstring Test
Ryan Griffen Hamstring Test - scans show improvement rather than an injury
Matt Flynn Quad 1 week
Aidan Corr Groin 1 week
Sam Taylor Hamstring 1 week
Toby Greene Hamstring 1 week
Matt de Boer Hamstring 1 week
Brett Deledio Calf 1 week
Nick Shipley Ankle 4 weeks
Dawson Simpson Ankle 6 weeks
Heath Shaw Knee Season
Tom Scully Ankle Season
Will Setterfield Knee Season
Jon Patton Knee Season
Lachie Tiziani Knee Season

Any reason why Setterfield was placed on the LTI list rather than Patton?
Does it carry over to next season as he should be back in training before round 1
And Tiziani could have been another option although he would be on roughly the same timeframe as Setterfield

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-27/injury-wrap-round-23

Greater Western Sydney will monitor Rory Lobb ahead of their do-or-die final against cross-town rivals Sydney. Lobb left the field early in the fourth term due to back tightness, but Leon Cameron said post-match it was a precautionary measure. The ruckman was hospitalised after the round 12 win over Gold Coast, before making a surprise return in round 15. Lobb was found to have a small fracture in his thoracic spine.

So working from the last injury list and that no new injuries have been reported officially (I think?) here would be an updated injury report leading into the first final, Plenty of tests for the first final and I am sure they will fully test those players early in the week

Ryan Griffen Hamstring Test
Matt Flynn Quad Test
Aidan Corr Groin Test
Sam Taylor Hamstring Test
Toby Greene Hamstring Test
Matt de Boer Hamstring Test
Brett Deledio Calf Test
Nick Shipley Ankle 2 weeks
Dawson Simpson Ankle 4 weeks
Heath Shaw Knee Season
Tom Scully Ankle Season
Will Setterfield Knee Season
Jon Patton Knee Season
Lachie Tiziani Knee Season

So annoying that once again injuries may derail our season :(

But we're there and in with a shot. If those Pie scumbags can play well with injuries, so can we! Keep the faith.

We really cant catch a break with another star most likely missing, we are one of the most injury prone teams in the comp. That being said, the timely return of Williams makes it somewhat possible to cover for him since Whitfield can now spend much more time in the midfield up on the wings with Perryman, Williams, Bunts and Kenners taking the small defensive posts. Was great having both Whitfield and Kelly streaming down the wings together with Williams and Kenners running out of defence for 1 quarter. Tommo and Taranto racking up the kms too. With the exception of Scully, was probably our primary runners all together. Sad that we will likely have to work around injuries again.

Last edited:
Who knows about Kelly’s injury

Meniscus tears will mean surgery but it really depends on the nature of the tear

If it’s not catching he can play with it. It’s just pain not necessarily structural
Damage so maybe a needle and a promise of surgery at the end of the season

I’m forever the optimist

Meniscus tears will mean surgery but it really depends on the nature of the tear

If it’s not catching he can play with it. It’s just pain not necessarily structural

I’m forever the optimist
Plenty of people have played with this injury.

I think Nat Fyfe may have played the last QTR of the season with one in his Brownlow year. It all depends on the severity

However one thing I noticed last night is that every single player was hungry. We usually can't cover stars but I can't think of many that didn't play their role last night.

Every player would tackle and then follow up. This stuff is what Dogs had in their premiership year and the Richmond last year. Kelp that up next week and we can cover Josh

It’s looking like meniscus for kelly. That’s usually 4-6 weeks minimum I think.

I’m forever the optimist

Has it been confirmed? Looked like a textbook meniscus to me, called it at the time. Was so upset, was really looking forward to watching him rip finals a new one. Love how he plays.

I've done the exact same Injury in both knees, as mentioned he can avoid surgery depending on severity, I never got mine repaired. The issue for me is he would of done some damage to his collateral ligament too - i'd bet my house on it. This is whats really going to limit him as this will effect the structure and strength of the joint until it's healed. They could give him a jab of cortisone and see how he goes but I reckon your medicos will play it smart. Further damage would be a disaster for a player of his calibre. Unfortunate timing, feel for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back