2019 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chiltern straight sets.... wouldn’t have thought that would have been the case a couple weeks ago. Who wins, Kiewa or Barny?

Is Matt Fowler’s spot in Thurgoona’s side guaranteed?
His last 9 games have registered goal tallies of 2, 2, 1, 1: 0, 4, 0, 0, 0.
Everyone know Barny and Kiewa are Quick. Will this figure at selection?

Is Matt Fowler’s spot in Thurgoona’s side guaranteed?
His last 9 games have registered goal tallies of 2, 2, 1, 1: 0, 4, 0, 0, 0.
Everyone know Barny and Kiewa are Quick. Will this figure at selection?

Jesse Johnstone would surely be a better inclusion, versatile , can still run , chop out in ruck, proven goal kicker

Johnston’s shoulder is no good, he featured in there reserves best players on the weekend but went into contest with 1 arm and unless his shoulder comes good with the week off I don’t think thurgoona will take the risk by playing him even though Fowler looks way to slow espaclly when he went into the ruck to chop Jamarl out can’t take a player into a grand final who isn’t right and I’m sure if he played his shoulder would get a work out by the opposition which it didn’t on the weekend in the reserves but in a grand final that shoulder would be targeted

Could possibly bring in Matt Murray for Fowler and use Jacob Bruce and Blair Osmand as there key forwards to get another midfielder in there side

Some big calls to be made by Doswell in a weeks time I think

Johnston’s shoulder is no good, he featured in there reserves best players on the weekend but went into contest with 1 arm and unless his shoulder comes good with the week off I don’t think thurgoona will take the risk by playing him even though Fowler looks way to slow espaclly when he went into the ruck to chop Jamarl out can’t take a player into a grand final who isn’t right and I’m sure if he played his shoulder would get a work out by the opposition which it didn’t on the weekend in the reserves but in a grand final that shoulder would be targeted

Could possibly bring in Matt Murray for Fowler and use Jacob Bruce and Blair Osmand as there key forwards to get another midfielder in there side

Some big calls to be made by Doswell in a weeks time I think
Ewen Hampton for Murray the most likely change.

Interested to hear peoples views on the permit situations in the 4ths. The top 2 sides were both rolled at the weekend by Chiltern & Tallangatta with both having 4 permits players each from the AWJFL.
Same thing happened to Barnawartha last year with Wahgunyah having 3 permit players for the GF from Corowa.
Most of these kids are double dipping having already played Junior league finals. The sides who have good numbers and work hard to get 22 Junior players each week on the park are at a big disadvantage. If I was involved at Beechworth I'd be very disappointed with the permit rules as there kids got dead set shafted yesterday.
Surely the rules have to change. It's easy don't allow permit players to play finals and if the team doesn't have enough players too bad give a Club that can field a side a chance.

Ewen Hampton for Murray the most likely change.

Interested to hear peoples views on the permit situations in the 4ths. The top 2 sides were both rolled at the weekend by Chiltern & Tallangatta with both having 4 permits players each from the AWJFL.
Same thing happened to Barnawartha last year with Wahgunyah having 3 permit players for the GF from Corowa.
Most of these kids are double dipping having already played Junior league finals. The sides who have good numbers and work hard to get 22 Junior players each week on the park are at a big disadvantage. If I was involved at Beechworth I'd be very disappointed with the permit rules as there kids got dead set shafted yesterday.
Surely the rules have to change. It's easy don't allow permit players to play finals and if the team doesn't have enough players too bad give a Club that can field a side a chance.
If it’s about winning a junior premiership then be disappointed but personally I think it’s great that kids want to play football and help out the smaller country teams that struggle to field a side some weeks.

If it’s about winning a junior premiership then be disappointed but personally I think it’s great that kids want to play football and help out the smaller country teams that struggle to field a side some weeks.
Could not agree more if these kids have played all year there quite entitled to play finals. This has been voted on nearly every year at league level and now working well. Good luck to all those left in the finals.

I'm not entirely convinced that these teams are short and desperate for numbers. I think it's more about winning premierships. I'm interested to find out if any kids were dropped for the permit players.
My club has enough numbers to not have permit players and we smacked Chiltern without theirs. I was near a big Beechworth contingent Sunday and their kids were devastated to be knocked out after only dropping 4 games for the season. They have trained and played all season with the aim of winning a flag and come up against a team with kids who have played half a dozen games and probably only trained with their club that week.
It just doesn't seem right and after seeing clubs play permit kids over the years to win finals it certainly hasn't helped any of them long term. Have a look at Mitta.
I'm all for permits in home and away if your short but not in finals.

I'm not entirely convinced that these teams are short and desperate for numbers. I think it's more about winning premierships. I'm interested to find out if any kids were dropped for the permit players.
My club has enough numbers to not have permit players and we smacked Chiltern without theirs. I was near a big Beechworth contingent Sunday and their kids were devastated to be knocked out after only dropping 4 games for the season. They have trained and played all season with the aim of winning a flag and come up against a team with kids who have played half a dozen games and probably only trained with their club that week.
It just doesn't seem right and after seeing clubs play permit kids over the years to win finals it certainly hasn't helped any of them long term. Have a look at Mitta.

Sounds like sour grapes to me!

Mitta can’t get junior sides on the field without permits. Most clubs only get permits when they are short and I’ve never heard of any team dropping kids for permit players.

Mitta can’t get junior sides on the field without permits. Most clubs only get permits when they are short and I’ve never heard of any team dropping kids for permit players.
I have seen players left out, last year. That side now struggles to field an Under 17 side.
I was just interested to see what people thought but it looks like the consensus is bring on the permit kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see the week before in the Under 14's Elimination Final one team didn't even score. Was there a head count & they lost their score or did permit players have something to do with this, either missing from the losing side or topped up in the winning side.

I see the week before in the Under 14's Elimination Final one team didn't even score. Was there a head count & they lost their score or did permit players have something to do with this, either missing from the losing side or topped up in the winning side.
That game was Chiltern with theirs and Wahgunyah having none available due to Corowa U14s playing as well.

Permit players have been around for many years with players doubling up in the AWJFL and also the TDFL junior system. It does go both ways and a lot of those players compete both Saturday's and Sunday's. It might be a stupid point but we have restrictions in overs of junior cricket, restrictions in netball, but we seem not to have restrictions in the amount of games we can play for junior footballers. I believe there was a time when junior footballers would train Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and then play u/14s, u/17s, and AWJFL football on one weekend.

Barny or Kiewa tomorrow.
After watching both games last week I’m struggling to see Barny winning

How wrong was I. They were very very good! Anyone else at the game?
I think we are in for a cracker this weekend after watching them yesterday.
Any tips?
BOG?
Headlines?

Tip: Thurgoona by 8 goals.
BOG: #5.
Headline: Cook drops himself after going missing the last fortnight!

Tip: Thurgoona by 8 goals.
BOG: #5.
Headline: Cook drops himself after going missing the last fortnight!
Cook went into the last two games injured. Back him in for a good game this weekend. Doesn’t have to save himself any more.

Was anyone expecting that kind of margin?
It was a very clinical display.
Another great day for the TDFL, great atmosphere for country football

Can't say I predicted the margin but the Dogs when on are capable of scoring heavily. Doesn't matter if you're old & slow if you've got the footy. Kept the game in close & repeatedly won the stoppage ball. Barny came thru a tough lead up with a few hard games, so were a bit battered, along with a couple of guys underdone. Agree re the venue. The League should be congratulated for turning a cow paddock into a showpiece.

The decade has wrapped up with Thurgoona clearly becoming the new powerhouse of the competition. They have played in 6 deciders for 3 very convincing wins. A lowest finish of 4th for the decade highlights their consistency, and I am fairly sure the reserves also played in every decider.

Premierships
Thurgoona - 3
KSC - 3
Mitta - 1
Tallangatta - 1
Barnawartha - 1
Beechworth - 1

Ranking teams on positions (i.e premier 12 points, runner up 11 points, spoon 1 point etc)
Thurgoona - 107 (10 finals)
KSC - 102 (10)
Mitta - 89 (7)
Barny - 84 (7)
Rutherglen – 70 (4)
Chiltern – 57 (4)
Yack – 55 (1)
Tallangatta – 54 (3)
Wahgunyah – 51(2)
Beechworth – 49 (1)
Dederang – 45 (1)
Saints – 17 (0)

Interesting points
Beechworth and Yack played off in the 2010 decider, neither side made the finals again for the decade.

Tallangatta last to first 2014-15 first time ever for a TDFL club?

Relatively stable decade with clubs. No new clubs (there was 4 new clubs between 2000-09)

6 spoons for Saints, highest finish of 9th.

The next decade?

Thurgoona will continue to dominate the competition much like Albury in the O&M. Well resourced, well run, huge population relative to the rest of the competition and now a culture of success.

Set to be lots of changes in the region. Will be very surprised to see all the 12 teams existing in 2029 in their current form.

Player numbers to become a huge issue.

The true impact of the points system will become clear, especially with those clubs who traditionally struggle for junior numbers.

Who are the best players of the decade?

Biggest story?

Player numbers are a huge issue across all leagues. Have a look at Ovens and Murray Reserves, Hume League and don't get me started on the Upper Murray. A lot of other sporting codes have gone through similar issues over the last decade, cricket, soccer, basketball, it is just currently AFL's turn. I don't know how to stop it, and change the culture around playing but ten years for teams like Wagunyah, Rutherglen, Barnawartha, Chiltern, Yackandandah and Beechworth are a lot to ask, these clubs are in close proximity to each other and the question begs will they be able to continue junior development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back