Autopsy 2022 Round 22 - Western Bulldogs v GWS Giants @ Marvel Stadium, 1.45 pm Saturday 13 August

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of effort from the boys, but a few incorrect decisions cost us. Still, happier that they took it right up to them rather than rolling over like they did to Swans.
Have a look at how many balls that hit the deck in our forward half that get scooped up and released by the oppo… huge.

Tanner Bruhn looked a better fit today, Lachie Ash is improving his game incrementally week by week, Leek Aleer was OK, really a lot to like if forward entries can be fixed.
As for umpires, we got some lucky, some unlucky. But about 5 repeat centre bounces bounced skew-wifi the Dogs ruck way, away from Briggs & Keefe. Unlucky.

Have a look at how many balls that hit the deck in our forward half that get scooped up and released by the oppo… huge.
Yeah, I actually meant incorrect decisions/choices by our guys. (Yeah, umps too, but I wasn't focussing on that.) And you're right on the ground balls - which has been a problem most of our existence - unable to lock the ball away in our F50. Need to be looking in the draft for players who can pounce on loose balls but also tackle.

I reckon we saw the midfield of next year in play - for the most part - in this game. Perryman, Coniglio, Green, Kelly, Whitfield, Ward & Ash. Yes Hopper was there, and still might be next year, but potentially not and that would open up a place for Callaghan or a highly-performing draftee depending on how we go about the draft.

Leek Aleer continued to improve, and look good in taking 7 intercepts and played solidly (for his 3rd game) both in the air and on the ground.

Definitely needing forward reinforcements. Another KPF who can take a contested grab, and a crumbing forward or two. Dan Lloyd has been quite out of sorts this year - he's been great in the past, especially last year & while doing a few good things they've just be flashes here and there - and unable to put enough pressure on or kick goals as he has in the past.

Briggs at this point is more of a second ruck than a primary ruck, but I probably prefer him to Flynn. Will be interesting to see what happens with the ruck situation in the off season.

We tried to play a more deliberate passing game, as we did against Bombers, but too often the last or second last pass cam unstuck. Either too ambitious a kick was tried, or was wayward, or we just didn't have enough movement from the receivers and had to be kicked to a contest which we mostly lost.

Haynes was better yesterday, a bit like the Haynes of old.
The question will be for next year, how do we structure the backline? If Haynes is back to his old form next year, and Jack Buckley is right, how do we squeeze in Taylor, Buckley, Himmelberg, Aleer & Haynes. And possibly Davis and Keeffe too. We can't keep playing 5 tall defenders as we did in this game!

Hopefully a new coach might be a bit more ruthless with an underperforming player, as Haynes has been for most of this year.

Himmelberg has been great, and his distribution out of defence has been a great boost to the team since going back. But can he play the second KPD role well enough, which will require some closer defence than a looser third defender role?

The last 2 weeks have been a improved performance but still several aspects are below competitive AFL standard and yesterdays game shows where the Bulldogs are at and it may be the change in game style over the comp that they have not adjusted too like the Giants a heavy importance on contested ball and neglecting the fast chaotic style that requires fast players

A passage that I noticed during the Bulldogs run of 4 goals in the 3rd quarter Coniglio missed a significant tackle on Williams and he scores, he was dirty on himself but he needs to make those tackles and if it is technique or strength he needs to find that solution if he wants to take his game to another level and 4 tackles is not enough for the game yesterday from the captain

Also Haynes had moments of uncompetitveness and whether it is physical or the mental side of the game that he is struggling with the club needs to fix it over the off season or he could be a significant liability for the club in terms of salary cap and in games

Ash and his goal kicking was pretty shocking and again something the player and coaches need to fix up as that issue in future could be the difference between winning a game and making finals, Lloyd was another who needed to take the opportunity for goal and I am sure these 2 players are disappointed with the efforts but they just need to learn from it and hopefully we see an improved goal kicking effort next week v the Dockers

Aleer looked really good and he flys for marks and defensively he seemed to be competitive for his size

Riccardi was a positive and another off season and strengthens up he will show more, he still has plenty to work on but for 2 years in the AFL system he is displaying progress and he does need to work on the defensive side of his game (All the team does IMO)

As much as I had hope for XOH he is trying too hard to make an impact and is giving away cheap frees and his disposal is shocking, not sure if he is like that in reserves but he just doesnt seem to be adapting to the speed of the game and that could be to do with how the team is going at the moment and how the game has moved from the contested style to fast movement on turnover his mistakes are being punished

Taylor was immense and should be leading all club awards if you think how under seige the defenders have been and playing with 2 or more different players in defence every week it seems he will have grown so much as a player this year

I will also add if Bruhn has the concussion from that challenge from (Cordy I think) they will be in trouble for high contact, it may only be a week but it will be deserved for a high hit on a player not expecting contact and that is the risk the player takes when they elect to bump

I will also add if Bruhn has the concussion from that challenge from (Cordy I think) they will be in trouble for high contact, it may only be a week but it will be deserved for a high hit on a player not expecting contact and that is the risk the player takes when they elect to bump
Fox Footy says it's being "looked at".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back